WAG Back tuck vs BHS BHS on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But why are single BHS allowed so early from L5 to L8 and single back tucks in L8 plus??

I bet it would be easy for most L6 girls!

I interpreted your post as saying bhs is a required beam skill for L6 and my response was in saying that it is not a required skill for L6. Did I misunderstand what you were saying?

"Generally, speaking, and even according to the USAG, a bhs is easier. A bhs is a B skill and a back tuck, pike, backlayout step out, is a C. A bhs is also I think required in L6 but back tucks, blo step outs don't come in until L8 or L9."

The above was my post that you stated was incorrect.

But why are single BHS allowed so early from L5 to L8 and single back tucks in L8 plus??

I bet it would be easy for most L6 girls!

Not necessarily. Back tucks could be scarier on beam. While bhs involves more "elements" to perform (i.e., both hands and feet have to land on beam) and a back tuck is just one swift movement, the use of no hands to cushion ones fall can be scary for many. In addition, it is a faster movement which I think also requires more training. Just my observation.

I don't think a BHS is required at L6 -- other skills could fulfill the "one acro element" requirement.

On the back tuck, some kids just are not good at standing back tucks, whether or not they are scary. DD will be L8 this year and still does not have a solid standing BT on the floor. I do not expect a solo BT to ever appear in a beam routine for her -- she is all arms and legs with a very short torso, so layouts/whips come much easier. Beyond that, a lot of girls have issues with going backwards on beam as the beam gets higher. I think there's a back walkover in the L3 floor routine, isn't there? Yet so many girls struggle so much with putting it on the beam at L5/L6!

There's now no back walkover in the L4 floor routine? (Didn't realize they had taken it out when they did the routine changes a few years ago!)

For me BT is a lot easier. All you really have to do is have good form and watch your landing, it seems :) I've just started putting them on the beam though, so idk. The BHS-BHS series, there's just so much more crap to think about what with the connection and everything. It's also scarier IMO.

Although she's just doing her BT on low beam, I would say the BHS-BHS is much harder for dd - not because BHS are hard for her on beam (she's never fallen on one, or even stepped out in 2 years of competing) but the connection has her in a stew.....her new coach thinks she's "waiting for the perfect first BHS or won't go for the second"...IDK...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back