WAG It is expensive

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
My dd saw her team mate from last season in a different class. She asked this girl why is not with her in team. The girl told my daughter that it's because her mom can't afford it. :( I feel so sad. And my heart feel heavy coz I know this girl loves it and loves competing. She medaled at most meet to.

:( it's an expensive sport and some sacrifices need to be made.

My dd saw her team mate from last season in a different class. She asked this girl why is not with her in team. The girl told my daughter that it's because her mom can't afford it. :( I feel so sad. And my heart feel heavy coz I know this girl loves it and loves competing. She medaled at most meet to.

it's an:( expensive sport and some sacrifices need to be made.

To me, it is a kindness that her mom cuts it off now at what she can afford and moves on rather than having the family struggle financially for a sport...

That's very sad! But I agree, it's probably better to have stopped it now. I do know a couple of families truly struggling but they know how talented their kids are and realize they could go really far, so they do what they can to raise funds.

I obviously don't know all the details, but I don't see what is wrong with having to struggle/prioritize a little bit. Something about 'anything worth having, is worth fighting for.' Just an FYI for those that may not have kids yet, if you aren't prepared to struggle and sacrifice for your kids.......Don't have any, cause that's what they're all about!! ;)
My guess is that if they were to talk to the owner, they could work something out. I've never said no to a child or family that truly wants it. Yes, when they drove up in their brand new $70,000.00 car to inform me gym was expensive, or the ones that bought the $450,000.00 house and then did the math only to realize that they can't have their cake and eat it too, I've had to say goodbye to them. All the other ones, I figure that is part of the price of doing business. I have numerous families that I give free, reduced, or traded gym to. They are people and families that have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own, so how could you possibly say 'no'? As long as they are doing their best, then I will always do my best to see that their children can do gymnastics, no matter what it takes.

I obviously don't know all the details, but I don't see what is wrong with having to struggle/prioritize a little bit. Something about 'anything worth having, is worth fighting for.' Just an FYI for those that may not have kids yet, if you aren't prepared to struggle and sacrifice for your kids.......Don't have any, cause that's what they're all about!! ;)
My guess is that if they were to talk to the owner, they could work something out. I've never said no to a child or family that truly wants it. Yes, when they drove up in their brand new $70,000.00 car to inform me gym was expensive, or the ones that bought the $450,000.00 house and then did the math only to realize that they can't have their cake and eat it too, I've had to say goodbye to them. All the other ones, I figure that is part of the price of doing business. I have numerous families that I give free, reduced, or traded gym to. They are people and families that have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own, so how could you possibly say 'no'? As long as they are doing their best, then I will always do my best to see that their children can do gymnastics, no matter what it takes.
That's very nice of you. Unfortunately, I don't think my gym's owners will do that. I truly love the sport, it broke my heart when my parents told me they couldn't afford it anymore today. Just when I actually thought I would make it to comp. season. :'(

That's very nice of you. Unfortunately, I don't think my gym's owners will do that. I truly love the sport, it broke my heart when my parents told me they couldn't afford it anymore today. Just when I actually thought I would make it to comp. season. :'(
I'm sorry to hear that about your situation, but please don't underestimate the owners. I know we are supposed to be money hungry heartless creatures and all, but underneath all that, their are many of us with big hearts. (please don't tell anyone that) ;) If you are truly passionate about it, you and your parents will find a way. I had a deal with two sisters, that I would give them gym for half price if they would come back one day when they were grown and done with gym, and work for me. I lived up to my end of the deal, and years later they did the same! Good luck to you. :)

You are obviously old enough to post on here so old enough to work. Have you asked the gym owner if there are any jobs you can do in lieu of training fees?

Not everyone is willing to make the sacrifice for gymnastics. And not everyone can make the sacrifice. Not everyone is willing to have such a large chunk of the budget and their child's time go to one place and one sport. For some people they have to choose between saving for retirement and/or college or paying for a pricey sport like gymnastics. Each person and each family will make a different choice, for likely a different reason. And if the family has more children then just this girl then the decisions become harder. I cringe when I think of how much of our budget goes for 2 girls in gymnastics, when I have 2 other kids. And trust me, my oldest has mentioned it on many occasions. Much better to stop it now, than once the child and family is fully sucked in. I figure there is no way we can stop gymnastics at this point (I really wouldn't want to either) because we are too sucked in. I just couldn't do it to my girls. If I had known 7 years ago what I know now, we might have made different choices. I think that is a very wise mother.

You are obviously old enough to post on here so old enough to work. Have you asked the gym owner if there are any jobs you can do in lieu of training fees?
No but I don't believe there are any. We have a whole lot of coaches and staff - 20 at the minimum age

You can only ask - at least if the owner knows you are keen they will think of you in the future. Think of what you could do - coaching, cleaning, who vacuums and cleans at the end of the day? Maybe something in the office?

They might be keen as its 'free' labour as you are swapping for training time.

We have a lot of parents doing cleaning and helping out at the front desk, and many gymnasts helping out with summer camps. Even if a gym has a professional office manager, they usually have to have someone at the desk on weekends and evenings to check people in, answer the phones, and field questions. Don't underestimate the amount of work needed to keep a gym running and somewhat clean!

In a good way. Because it was so kind. Because I am struggling with money too and it struck a nerve.
Oh, I get it, I'm sorry to hear that. I think it's sad that most people I know are struggling somehow, whether it be financially, medically, emotionally, or a combination there of. Unfortunately, I'm right there in the middle with the rest of them! I guess that's why I can relate so well, and do everything I can inside and outside of gym to help make life better for other people. The down side of helping so many people is that I'm not considered a very good businessman by my peers (or banker!) Once in a while I have to remind myself that I would rather be remembered for making lots of healthy, happy, successful gymnasts than lots of dollars! (only need to repeat 9 more times before I head out the door for the day) ;)
I hope that you will persevere and overcome your obstacles. :)

Just an FYI for those that may not have kids yet, if you aren't prepared to struggle and sacrifice for your kids.......Don't have any, cause that's what they're all about!!

A bit harsh, don't you think? Many of us struggle and sacrifice in many different ways for our kids, but for some, gymnastics may not even make it to the top of the list, when there are other needs within a family!

@Gymsanity
You sound like a great Owner and I want to applaud you for what you do for your gymnasts.
I am on a fixed income and OG and YG aren't technically "mine." HC knew that I was paying for EVERYTHING related to their gymnastics and she actually HIRED me to do what I was already doing for free so I could keep the girls in the sport... Well, TECHNICALLY, she hired me AFTER the girls had both quit due to outside pressures and part of my contract included free gymnastics classes (or team training), so when they realized quitting was a HUGE mistake, all I had to cover was competition gear and meet fees... which my "paychecks" were able to cover. Actually, the season they quit and returned, they both had their gear from the season before and it hadn't changed, so I only had to cover $355 over the course of 6 months. This past season, the total was $850 and I did not have to shell out $500 all at once for the new comp gear (thankfully). For the upcoming season, they can both get away with their current warm ups and YG can wear OG's old team leotard... so I only have to buy 1 leotard - under $100... and we may be loaning YG's old leotard to a high school girl so she can compete for us (former team member, parents don't want to shell out the $800 for High School Team AND have to buy our team leotard that she will only wear 3-5 times due to when high school season falls). All they would have to cover would be a team jacket (which she might also be able to borrow from another gymnast- doesn't need pants because she can just wear a pair of black stretch pants) and $80-$180 for meet fees.
Our team is like a family and HC will do whatever she can to keep a girl on the team if that's what the girl wants. We have had parents clean the gym or get hired to teach baby and toddler classes (comes with a free membership and reduced training fees in addition to earning money). She has also hired team girls that are old enough to help out with rec classes and gymnastics camp.

Money in my household is in need of a tweek, but I told my hubby that no matter what, DD's gym is not one of the things that will get cut. I didnt get to do what I wanted to do when I was a child, and I want my child to have what I didnt. Plus she loves it, its her whole life, and I couldnt do that to her. I really hope that you find a way to do what you want to do, and to get where you want to go. See about babysitting jobs, or something like that, that can take a lot of pressure off your mom. Talk to your mom, and see if maybe there is a halfway point you guys can make? Like she puts in so much and you put in so much? Or she pays tuition and you come up with the money for the meet fees and everything else?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back