WAG Rips help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pea'sMom

Proud Parent
Pea has been working furiously on getting her two giants in a row. She came home today sniffling, with bloody hands. Any tride and true home recipes for helping her? She's usually a tough cookie, so I have to assume they really hurt :(

Nu skin liquid bandage worked for my daughter. When you apply it be ready to blow on her hand...it stings for a second.

Ouch. I'm following this thread because I want to be prepared.
My dd has a little, not even rip more like a beginning of a callous tear. Her coach said they are starting to look like gymnast hands, made her day!

Our coach always said to use preparation H on rips. It has an anesthetic in it that numbs it and also dries the rip up.

Thanks all, guess I have to hit the pharmacy to add to my 'gym emergency kit!' Funny gymnast hand story...Pea and BFF are in the same school & class, their teacher was reading 'Holes' as a read a-loud. The kids the class didn't know what calluses where so Pea and BFF had to do a hand show-and-tell ;)

A home remedy that works is a wet tea bag (use warm tap water and squeeze out excess water so that it doesn't leak every where) placed over the rip, let the tea soak the area. It will sting initially but the natural tannin will toughen the skin and help heal and dry the rip. Kids in our gym use this all the time :)

We tried to tea bags and Pea has deemed it a success! (aside from the tea stained hands, but hand model is not on our list of future jobs anyway;)) Thanks again for the help and references!

We tried to tea bags and Pea has deemed it a success! (aside from the tea stained hands, but hand model is not on our list of future jobs anyway;)) Thanks again for the help and references!
So glad it worked! But please don't discount the link posted by SBG, info written by experts :)

Oddly enough, I never got a rip! I just get callouses

Which makes me want to ask... Are callouses a bad thing? DD is still fairly new to this and has been working out like crazy this summer. No rips, but she has pretty thick callouses on both of her hands. Wondering if there is anything we should be doing about them or do they help her from ripping?!

I use neosporin and band-aids on rips to keep them hydrated when not at the gym. Then I tape them using bicycle inner tube and athletic tape while at the gym.

Which makes me want to ask... Are callouses a bad thing? DD is still fairly new to this and has been working out like crazy this summer. No rips, but she has pretty thick callouses on both of her hands. Wondering if there is anything we should be doing about them or do they help her from ripping?!
I don't think of them as a bad thing... I mean they don't look so nice but hey, it's worth it for gymnastics! And my coach said that usually rips come before callouses. :)

I once knew a girl who would put superglue in her rips so they'd 'harden up' or to create a protective layer over the rip or something. I was always kind of leery about that one, but whatever works, I guess :)

I kind of wear down my calluses with a nail file every once in a while so they don't get too big and rip off.

At my gym, when we get wrist rips from our grips we put an un-inflated balloon under the wristband in between the rip and the grip, and it works really well. You almost don't feel them after a couple minutes. :)

I don't think calluses are a bad thing. My DD gets mostly calluses but has had rips. She doesn't generally rip like the older, heavier girls on her same level, so maybe it's a friction related problem too? I know as the girls gets continual rips, the coach recommends grips. She said my DD might be so little, she may not need them until L8-9 (she coached another girl who didn't get them until then). My DD wants grips sooooo bad though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back