WAG max strength vs endurance - is it the same?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katie

I have a few questions concerning strength training.

1.) I was wondering if there was a big difference between maximal leg strength and explosive power?
Is someone who can do single leg squats also good at jumping and explosiveness and vice versa?

2.) How many single leg squats and squat jumps should a L8 gymnast be able to do in a row?

3.) Is there any other method to measure leg strength in gymnastics? Like pull-ups and push-ups for arms, leg lifts for legs....

4.) Once a gymnast can do "hard exercises" like full leg lifts, 90 degree leg lifts, L-Sits and press handstands...is there a need to continue with hollow rocks?

Thanks!

I'll answer you question below to the best of my knowledge.

1.) I was wondering if there was a big difference between maximal leg strength and explosive power?
Is someone who can do single leg squats also good at jumping and explosiveness and vice versa?

No, it's different. Different muscle fibre types but totally depends on the speed of the movement and a lot of other things. To get good at explosive movements one must practice explosive movements, that being said practicing single leg squats in a certain way could be explosive to, the faster you come up from the floor more explosive it is. I would still control the movement down though to encourage some muscle endurance and controlled landing movements to avoid injuries.

2.) How many single leg squats and squat jumps should a L8 gymnast be able to do in a row?

No idea and level 8 in aus is different to us but I'd say it is less about the amount and more about the outcomes. Strength/ power does not always equal skills. There is many more factors that determine whether someone can do a skill. Ask a young rec gymnast to do 20 squat jumps. Some will be able to do it (some won't). Their body weight to power ratio is good. The older you get as a female the more challenging this becomes. Particularly if your not naturally built strong and powerful.

3.) Is there any other method to measure leg strength in gymnastics? Like pull-ups and push-ups for arms, leg lifts for legs....

Firstly, leg lifts are really measuring hip flexor and ab strength. There are many ways to measure leg strength but if you want to measure absolute strength (rather than endurance which is what completing as many push-ups as you can in a row is measuring) then you will have to get into a gym (with weights type of a gym) and do a 1 or 5RM (repetition max). Super super relevant to know this in gymnastics?? I'm not totally convinced as in young kids it runs at too high a risk of injury while undertaking it if not supervised by someone who knows what they are doing. Technique is incredible important in say a leg press or a weighted squat. And it's just unnecessary and takes a long time to run through.

4.) Once a gymnast can do "hard exercises" like full leg lifts, 90 degree leg lifts, L-Sits and press handstands...is there a need to continue with hollow rocks?

Yes. Every exercise uses slightly different muscle groups. Hollow rocks and practicing that hollow shape is so important for so many skills and aspects of skills in gymnastics. Gymnasts need a level of endurance during routines in this shape. Shapes are one of the more important things to continue to practice to ensure safe and correct skills. You would probably find that even elite gymnasts still practice hollow shapes/ exercises during their conditioning. Don't forget to also practice the opposite way as well to strengthen the back and scapular retraction muscles. This will help avoid any abnormally hunched posture developing and aid in preventing back injuries later on in life!

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back