Parents Doc Ali: the shrink is in!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Fear issues! I bought my DD your visualization talk and put it on her MP3 player. She's still nervous about cast handstands and really running hard at the vault (FHS right now).
make sure her mind is tight on key words as she runs....that's always the first step. even if she is singing her favorite song!

Hi Doc Ali! Welcome to the CB :). My dd used your techniques after you did a workshop at her gym a few years ago. Can't believe your baby is 2!
i CAN'T EITHER! It's going by fast, but most of you told me it would! I"m just seeing these replies now...not sure why!

Welcome!! I met you several years ago at the athlete warrior meet. You were so helpful! I have worked through some of your general mental toughness workbook with my ds gymnast and my soccer player. Ds would love a book geared toward gymnastics, but I have been hesitant to buy one because it says female gymnasts.
On this board I think you will be a huge asset on fear issues. Those questions come up very frequently here.
happy to help!!! we have a new fear workbook coming out aug 8th. i NEED NEED NEED to do a workbook for guys...for sure!

Welcome aboard. Lovely to have you join our community.

If you search here you will see you have been a part of many discussions over the last eight years. In fact I know we have a sticky thread all about you somewhere.
That's awesome. I'm glad to become a part of your community! Honored that people like and benefit from the work! thank you!

Yay and welcome! I've been working hard on being more "Jamaican" since hearing your talk last week. Doesn't come very naturally to me but I'm trying! For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, Doc Ali told us parents to have a "don't worry, it's just gymnastics" attitude with our intense, sometimes stressed out kids. Love it. Needed to hear it. Thank you.
ah yes! always hard to be jamaican in our type a world! I would start adding "Three Little Birds" to your in home playlist and be sure to dance around singing at the top of your lungs! It will help!!! It helps me!

My daughter came home upset last night that she didn't earn a Popsicle from her coach because she didn't complete her backhandspring on high beam, something she has but has regressed on out of fear. The whole ride home I applied the Jamaican attitude just like you said!!! I listened first to let her vent, but afterwards I just played it off as no biggie. Thanks for that tip, it worked wonders!!!

great "mon". now....make sure her mind is tight on the BHS. again, have her sing three little birds, or say corrections over and over. that is always the first step. if that's not working...let me know! NO Worries! She'll get it....right, right!

great "mon". now....make sure her mind is tight on the BHS. again, have her sing three little birds, or say corrections over and over. that is always the first step. if that's not working...let me know! NO Worries! She'll get it....right, right!
Ok I have totally missed something! My DD is having the same problem! Fear of missing hands on BHS on beam. Had it now lost it after a fall! What's the secret?

So glad you are here Doc Ali. My DD did your webcamp a couple of summers ago, I think right as you were having your baby! She gained alot of confidence and strategies through the camp that she still uses today but now with cheerleading!

Ok I have totally missed something! My DD is having the same problem! Fear of missing hands on BHS on beam. Had it now lost it after a fall! What's the secret?
my advice for the first step is to be sure their "monkey mind" is busy!! so key, rhythmic words, singing, or saying a statement over and over again is a great way to get their minds more robotic and less emotional. at least that's where i would start! then....numbers numbers numbers on the floor with the words!

Welcome to CB Doc Ali! The sticky thread about your WebCamp got my DD on board. She is an enthusiastic web camper now and loves it!

make sure her mind is tight on key words as she runs....that's always the first step. even if she is singing her favorite song!

Thank you! She also saw your article in her latest gym magazine. She was thrilled when I told her you were ACTUALLY on this site!

Hi there! I’m Doc Ali the mental toughness coach the USAG since 1997. I’m brand new to Chalk Bucket but happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to ask questions or to tag me in a question that I could have some insight on. Questions about fear, competition, coaching, parenting, perfectionism, quitting, gym policies are always welcome. So glad to be a part of this forum and to help if I can! I appreciate all you do!

Plus, i'm the proud parent of a two year old, so I might need your help too!!! :)
Wow! Glad to have you here. And I have many kids, (LOL!) so feel free to ask me anything. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back