WAG It is expensive

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just got a new job with a little more money and a lot more earning potential into the future. When I told my mother about it her first reaction was "good because you're going to need it, little P is going to the Olympics." I am completely certain that DD will not be an elite gymnast, but I can already tell (at 3 1/2 years old) that she's likely to cost me a lot of money in this sport. Older DD may never make the team, she's just not that coordinated or determined... but right now when I flinch at paying nearly $500 for the two kids for 3 months of gymnastics I think about how hard it will be when they start putting in real hours.

I obviously don't know all the details, but I don't see what is wrong with having to struggle/prioritize a little bit. Something about 'anything worth having, is worth fighting for.' Just an FYI for those that may not have kids yet, if you aren't prepared to struggle and sacrifice for your kids.......Don't have any, cause that's what they're all about!! ;)
My guess is that if they were to talk to the owner, they could work something out. I've never said no to a child or family that truly wants it. Yes, when they drove up in their brand new $70,000.00 car to inform me gym was expensive, or the ones that bought the $450,000.00 house and then did the math only to realize that they can't have their cake and eat it too, I've had to say goodbye to them. All the other ones, I figure that is part of the price of doing business. I have numerous families that I give free, reduced, or traded gym to. They are people and families that have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own, so how could you possibly say 'no'? As long as they are doing their best, then I will always do my best to see that their children can do gymnastics, no matter what it takes.

God bless you for that. We're the beneficiaries of someone like you, and I am SO very thankful.

Gymnastics is definitely expensive. Sometimes I look at the other parents and wonder how so many of them do it on just one income (with multiple children!) Both my husband and I work full time jobs and I think my paycheck mostly goes to my daughter's gymnastics and my other daughter's activities. My gymnast daughter has begged me to homeschool her, but how can we cut out my pay so I can stay home with them and actually afford the extra activities?!?! (My husband is in the Army and I am a teacher... neither with huge incomes LOL!) I would absolutely love to do that... it just doesn't make financial sense. :(

She asked this girl why is not with her in team. The girl told my daughter that it's because her mom can't afford it. :( I feel so sad. And my heart feel heavy coz I know this girl loves it and loves competing. She medaled at most meet to.

Maybe this girl can do Xcel. Less training hours, little travel besides maybe States/Regionals, cheaper meets sort of and fewer of them.

My dd saw her team mate from last season in a different class.

OP - At least the girl is still doing gymnastics.

My guess is that if they were to talk to the owner, they could work something out. I've never said no to a child or family that truly wants it.

Gymsanity - I too thank you for this. I am the beneficiary of a generous gym owner like you. I'm able to clean one of our gyms to pay my DD's tuition. That became a major God send when I lost my job at the beginning of the year. It became even more of a blessing when I went back to work only for my husband to lose HIS job. I don't know if you realize just how much of a difference that can make in both a child AND their parents' lives to be able to continue to participate in something the child loves.

I will say that most gyms in our area do have trade agreements with their parents. Coaches and owners don't want to lose their gymnasts any more than the gymnast wants to lose their gymnastics.

this is why i spend a few bucks every week on the lotto. maybe one of these days. free gym for all! :)

I had to laugh! I actually have a fully thought out plan for the annual gymnastics scholarship I want to award when we hit the Powerball. :D

'@@Gymsanity
You sound like a great Owner and I want to applaud you for what you do for your gymnasts.'

'God bless you for that. We're the beneficiaries of someone like you, and I am SO very thankful.'

'Gymsanity - I too thank you for this. '

Easy folks, you are going to ruin my reputation as a heartless gym coach! ;) The truth of the matter is, it isn't as selfless as it may seem. Last week I had a Mom who had brought her two kids in for gym (rec) several years ago, and at the time I could see she had been through hell. As it turned out, she had had 5 or 6 surgeries for brain cancer. When she asked how much would it cost for them, I told her how much it would be, but I made a deal with her. I told her that if she would take that money that she would owe me for gym every month and spend it on time and things with and for her and her children, I would consider us even. That worked out well for several years before the kids finally got older and moved on. The mom came in last week with her oldest daughter who now wants to do high school cheerleading to see if she again could do gym. The mother is now up to 10 brain surgeries, and her bald head looks like a road map of the United States after all the surgeries! She asked how much it would be, and I told her we could just 'pay' the same amount as before. She informed me she couldn't honor that any longer as they were now bankrupt! So, I told her a little extra time and a few extra hugs for the kids (I even got one!) and we would be even. The bottom line is that if I ever want to look at myself in the mirror again, or sleep at night, there is no way that I could say no to people like this. So in essence, I'm really doing it for myself!! ;) I also know that there probably isn't a single person on this board that wouldn't do the very same things, it's just part of being human. :)
PS. Can you guess where my two secretaries, three of my coaches, and four of my gym cleaners came from? It helps us all. ;)

'@@Gymsanity
You sound like a great Owner and I want to applaud you for what you do for your gymnasts.'

'God bless you for that. We're the beneficiaries of someone like you, and I am SO very thankful.'

'Gymsanity - I too thank you for this. '

Easy folks, you are going to ruin my reputation as a heartless gym coach! ;) The truth of the matter is, it isn't as selfless as it may seem. Last week I had a Mom who had brought her two kids in for gym (rec) several years ago, and at the time I could see she had been through hell. As it turned out, she had had 5 or 6 surgeries for brain cancer. When she asked how much would it cost for them, I told her how much it would be, but I made a deal with her. I told her that if she would take that money that she would owe me for gym every month and spend it on time and things with and for her and her children, I would consider us even. That worked out well for several years before the kids finally got older and moved on. The mom came in last week with her oldest daughter who now wants to do high school cheerleading to see if she again could do gym. The mother is now up to 10 brain surgeries, and her bald head looks like a road map of the United States after all the surgeries! She asked how much it would be, and I told her we could just 'pay' the same amount as before. She informed me she couldn't honor that any longer as they were now bankrupt! So, I told her a little extra time and a few extra hugs for the kids (I even got one!) and we would be even. The bottom line is that if I ever want to look at myself in the mirror again, or sleep at night, there is no way that I could say no to people like this. So in essence, I'm really doing it for myself!! ;) I also know that there probably isn't a single person on this board that wouldn't do the very same things, it's just part of being human. :)
PS. Can you guess where my two secretaries, three of my coaches, and four of my gym cleaners came from? It helps us all. ;)

Oh my. You are more than "just human". Tears in my eyes.

Yes it is expensive. I will have to get a job once my dd moves up, I didn't even want to tell my dh how much next year might cost! But as long as she enjoys it, we will try and provide. I remember my parents spending $350 a month just on me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back