WAG some thoughts about the scary feeling before doing skills and inner conflicts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

I started gymnastics pretty late, after puberty but I have about L7 skills.

I don't know if you feel the same, but for me, there are several "stadiums" of doing a skill.

1. When you learn it, it is super scary every single time and you need a lot of time to go for it.
2. Over time it gets better, also because you know you CAN do it.
3. Then there is the time when you just concentrate and go for it.
4. And with some skills you don't even have to think about.

So for me, in stage 4 I would put all easy stuff, like Cartwheel, Round-Off, running front tuck standing back tuck and standing back handspring, hip circles, pullovers, kips.

Then stage 3 would be L5/6 skills, like RO BH BT

And stage 2 at the moment are L7 skills, so RO BH BL, FH FT or FT FT or FL, giants, free hips, flyaways.

I don't know why, but everything that has to do with speed scares me a little. For example, I love doing standing tucks, I like press handstands,BHS and Korbuts on beam. I remember when I started learning the Round-Off my standing RO or from a power hurdle was better than the one from a run.
I blocked better, rebounded as well as from a run and got my chest up even quicker. I also don't like mini-tramps. I don't know why this is!
Although I think that back tumbling not only looks better but is also actually easier if you are not scared, I feel much more comfortable with front tumbling.

So my current "status" is that I am still scared to do the tumbling passes, but I almost always stick it. But I have to fight the inner block all the time, especially before back tumbling.

My goal is now to get all the L7 skills to stage 3. Then I want to start learning tsuks and yuris into a pit as well as a front and back twist into a pit.

And this leads to my questions:

1.) Do you think I should go for a full twisting back layout on floor or not? I totally want to learn it and be able to do it on tumbl trak and air track. But should I really go for it on floor? I have never tried twisting so far and I am ultra scared.

2.) What is your feeling before doing skills? When I watch girls compete, it seems they just do it and it has just become second nature for them! So in what stage would you put your/your DDs feeling when doing skills?

1. If you haven't tried twisting at all yet, I wouldn't do it on floor... Yet. You should talk to your coaches and see what they can do to help you. Tumble track always comes first for me. I learn it on tumble track and then floor.

2. Stage 1 - round off back handsprings on tumble track & floor. Tumble track is becoming more of stage 2. And front handspring front tucks.
Stage 2 ... Stage two is tricky because I usually go from stage 1 to 3. Once I have the confidence I can do it.
Stage 3 - front walkovers on beam (with spot), kips (just got it, but does take a second to think and focus), front tucks, turn in tuck stand on beam, switch leap on beam
Stage 4 - handstands on beam, back hips, front handsprings

For me, when I compete I become a new person. I am uncharacteristically confident (not cocky however). I hope to stay this way throughout the rest of my gymnastics career, because it definitely helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back