Parents Doc Ali: the shrink is in!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Doc Ali. I'm afraid I dont know to much adout the whole mental toughness thing. Our HC talks about focus words, but thats about it. My DD is going to be a level 6 this season. She is afraid of the high bar and has struggled on bars the past 2 seasons. She does well at meets but bars has really hurt her confidence. We dont harp on scores or medals and we are very proud of her no matter what and she knows that. What can we do to improve her confidence (she has never had a serious fall or injury)? We just want her to be happy. She loves gymnastics, but the confidence thing is hurting her on beam, too.

Hi Doc Ali. I'm afraid I dont know to much adout the whole mental toughness thing. Our HC talks about focus words, but thats about it. My DD is going to be a level 6 this season. She is afraid of the high bar and has struggled on bars the past 2 seasons. She does well at meets but bars has really hurt her confidence. We dont harp on scores or medals and we are very proud of her no matter what and she knows that. What can we do to improve her confidence (she has never had a serious fall or injury)? We just want her to be happy. She loves gymnastics, but the confidence thing is hurting her on beam, too.
hi there! I like the focus words a lot. be sure she is using them. I would also teach her about her "beast thoughts" and how to beat them! sounds like she has some negative thoughts that beat her up sometimes! i think i have some articles on beating the fear beast (but it could be a confidence beast too) on my website headgames.ws . let me know if you don't see anything!

Hi! I was wondering if you have any advice I could relay to my DD. She fell off the bar last August doing a shoot through and sprained her elbow. She has yet to really go for it again. Also, other skills that put her leaning over the bar. She fears the squat on, but has no issues with jumping to the high bar. Things like that. Also some beam skills.

She's always been a cautious child and is a cautious gymnast. I'm patient and it's her sport so I don't really talk to her much about it (anymore. I used to and it made her feel more pressure). But I just hate to think of her being afraid because she has so much potential and I want her to feel confident! She's a great little gymnast and I truly adore watching her when she is feeling good and enjoying herself.

Thanks
hi there! I like the focus words a lot. be sure she is using them. I would also teach her about her "beast thoughts" and how to beat them! sounds like she has some negative thoughts that beat her up sometimes! i think i have some articles on beating the fear beast (but it could be a confidence beast too) on my website headgames.ws . let me know if you don't see anything!

Hi! I was wondering if you have any advice I could relay to my DD. She fell off the bar last August doing a shoot through and sprained her elbow. She has yet to really go for it again. Also, other skills that put her leaning over the bar. She fears the squat on, but has no issues with jumping to the high bar. Things like that. Also some beam skills.

She's always been a cautious child and is a cautious gymnast. I'm patient and it's her sport so I don't really talk to her much about it (anymore. I used to and it made her feel more pressure). But I just hate to think of her being afraid because she has so much potential and I want her to feel confident! She's a great little gymnast and I truly adore watching her when she is feeling good and enjoying herself.
the first thing i always tell people is to make sure her mind is busy saying things during the skills. for your daughter (how old is she?) she may want to have a bunch of phrases that she loves that she can say whenvever her mind gets nervous in or out of the gym. i call it "getting into her bubble". teach her to breathe, say her sentences, and put on a confident happy face as much as she can to make her bubble happen! I think helping them create a safe place is an awesome first step!

Hi Doc Ali, my DD is 14 and a senior gymnast. DD has trained for 10 years, competing for 9 seasons. We recently had an MRI showing a pars (spinal) fracture together with a congenital problem in her lumbar which the doctor has decided will preclude her from any further gymnastic activity. DD was told very concisely two days ago that she will never do gymnastics again just as she was building up to a large competition (we are mid season here in NZ). Do you have any advice as to how to handle her current psychological state? We are all in shock.

This is wonderful and so very helpful! I used to have a mental block of jumping from the low bar to the high bar, afraid I would jam my
Fingers in the bar. And now my little one has the same fear when jumping up to a bar. So glad we have you here!!

Love your web camp! My daughter did it for many months and got a lot out of it. So glad to have you here.

Does this mean that all the crazy gym parents will now behave themselves on CB? My question to Doc ALI is do you attend the TOPs camps at the NTTC? And if so what exactly do you do while you are there?

Does this mean that all the crazy gym parents will now behave themselves on CB? My question to Doc ALI is do you attend the TOPs camps at the NTTC? And if so what exactly do you do while you are there?
Why who on earth do you mean? ;)

Hi doc Ali !! I'm from England and only just discovered your work . What tips do you recommend for my DD who's 7 training in squad but all of a sudden she now has a fear issue of catching the high bar !! She's never had a problem before and never injured/fallen to cause the fear . I've tried the softly softly positive approach and the tough gym mom approach !! At my wits end thx x

Hi Doc Ali, my DD is 14 and a senior gymnast. DD has trained for 10 years, competing for 9 seasons. We recently had an MRI showing a pars (spinal) fracture together with a congenital problem in her lumbar which the doctor has decided will preclude her from any further gymnastic activity. DD was told very concisely two days ago that she will never do gymnastics again just as she was building up to a large competition (we are mid season here in NZ). Do you have any advice as to how to handle her current psychological state? We are all in shock.

get her over to pole vaulting! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back