WAG How is your gymmie built?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't know my child's exact height or weight and I don't have an issue with the general discussion on body shape. However, my gymnast is a young teen and it kills me that she talks about her "flabby" legs and wide hips. And believe me she's one of the most lean on the team (a teammate "jokingly" called her "borderline anorexic" a couple weeks ago - it's not funny). Whether we like it or not, society does create an impression about body shape that tweens and teens are too young to fully understand. I just think it's wise for everyone here to be sensitive to this topic and make sure they make more of a point to emphasize that the gymnast should embrace their healthy athletic bodies and downplay what that body shape is.

I have been around the sport long enough now to see some large transformations in a gymnast's body as they mature. It is good to know that size does not limit the gymnast's potential per se, but no one should read any more into it.

I don't know my child's exact height or weight and I don't have an issue with the general discussion on body shape. However, my gymnast is a young teen and it kills me that she talks about her "flabby" legs and wide hips. And believe me she's one of the most lean on the team (a teammate "jokingly" called her "borderline anorexic" a couple weeks ago - it's not funny). Whether we like it or not, society does create an impression about body shape that tweens and teens are too young to fully understand. I just think it's wise for everyone here to be sensitive to this topic and make sure they make more of a point to emphasize that the gymnast should embrace their healthy athletic bodies and downplay what that body shape is.

I have been around the sport long enough now to see some large transformations in a gymnast's body as they mature. It is good to know that size does not limit the gymnast's potential per se, but no one should read any more into it.

I totally agree with you!!!

I am 21, an I am 120lbs and 5'4''.
I am not really feminine shapef. I was always very skinny, my hips are really narrow. Due to gymnatics, I put on weight and now my arms are really big and my shoulders are broad compared to my legs and hips.
Many people tell me that my arms and shoulders got so big I look like a swimmer! Well, I actually take it as a compliment, because I know it comes from all the hard work and I am aware of all the awful things going on. But if people had told that to my younger self - oh gosh, I would have felt fat!

This is indeed a very delicate issue and should be handled with care!

I also don't know how one does not know their child's height and weight? It's the first two things measured and told at every single doctors appointment.

Maybe ths is a us/uk thing but the last time dd's height/ weight was asked for or checked by a healthcare professional was at her pre-school check when she was 4.5!

Our visits to the gp are only ever for illnesses (throats, ears etc) so height weight never enter the equation.

Maybe ths is a us/uk thing but the last time dd's height/ weight was asked for or checked by a healthcare professional was at her pre-school check when she was 4.5!

Our visits to the gp are only ever for illnesses (throats, ears etc) so height weight never enter the equation.

Cultural difference for sure. Whether it's a well visit, a sick visit, or just for paperwork (camp, school, etc) they do height/weight first. Even the schools measure those things here.

Sorry if my response seemed an over share, but I don't see the big deal. I also don't know how one does not know their child's height and weight? It's the first two things measured and told at every single doctors appointment. I respect that maybe people feel disclosure of such is not appropriate (I disagree), but to me the thread went off the rails when people perceived innocent curiously maliciously.
I agree with you... I may have been the first oversharer on the thread though :oops:, lol. Height and weight mean nothing to a lot of ppl (their father included - he has no clue when it comes to those things), so I added clothing sizes as a frame of reference... YG's weight seems high for her height compared to a lot of gymnasts... but she doesn't have any fat on her at all, and it was less than 2 years ago that I finally convinced her to give up her fav jean shorts (infant size 12-18 months) even though she could still put them on and zip and snap them. I convinced her to move up to a size 4T for the longer inseam.;)

I agree with you... I may have been the first oversharer on the thread though :oops:, lol. Height and weight mean nothing to a lot of ppl (their father included - he has no clue when it comes to those things), so I added clothing sizes as a frame of reference... YG's weight seems high for her height compared to a lot of gymnasts... but she doesn't have any fat on her at all, and it was less than 2 years ago that I finally convinced her to give up her fav jean shorts (infant size 12-18 months) even though she could still put them on and zip and snap them. I convinced her to move up to a size 4T for the longer inseam.;)

Ha ha- she reminds me of my ODD. We just trashed, before the move, her fave bikini because it was all stretched out. The bottoms were a kids 7/8.. She is 13. These kids!

Ha ha- she reminds me of my ODD. We just trashed, before the move, her fave bikini because it was all stretched out. The bottoms were a kids 7/8.. She is 13. These kids!
I just purchased 4 new swimsuits (2 for each)... because OG went swimming in a 7/8 bikini yesterday. She is almost 13 and 5'4" with a long torso, so there was a lot of skin showing even in the boyshort bottom and racerback top... ordered a 10/12 for her and a 6/6X for YG. Praying the bottoms won't be too big, lol. So hate putting tucks in swimsuit material.

I may have over reacted and I apologize if I offended anyone, but what makes me uncomfortable is not an eating disorder or cultural thing. It's the fact that , instead of gymnastics, we are discussing our little girls body shapes. Why? Shawn vs Nastia? I'm very aware of endomorphs, ectomorphs and gifts those body types bring to the sport. These are our children we're talking or bragging about. Not us but our little girls. Please remember adolescence happens! Let's focus on them getting strong and gaining new skills while we support them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back