WAG All parents upset!! Is our new coaching system really an unbounded cheek? coaches? parents? HELP

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sportymom

We have a little problem here and I hope to get your opinions!

Older DD, 12, Level 6, but actually has most of her L7 skills, was training 18 hours in summer and is now expected to do 15.

I love our gym a lot, but it is pretty small. We have not enough coaches, so the L6 and L7 girls are going to train together this year.
So they introduced a new system today in order to handle the many kids better.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday DD is going to have skill training for for 2 1/2 hours. They warm-up for 40 minutes with some light conditioning and stretching and then go over to skill training, like their tumbling passes, bar skills like giants/free hips/stalders, vault and beam.
On Tuesday and Wednesday and on Saturday Morning (Saturday is optional) she is going to have Basic training.
We got a list what the kids are doing during this basic training.

OUR NEW BASIC TRAINING L6/L7

15 min warm-up+stretching

Skills:
10 cartwheels on beam
10 round-offs from knee
10 round-offs from stand
10 standing back handsprings
10 back handspring stepouts on the line
10 standing back tucks on the line
5 cartwheel back tucks on the line
10 full turns on the line

Flexibility active/passive:
10 front/side/straddle kicks lying on floor with thera band
10 front/side/back kicks holding onto stall bars
10 front/side/back kicks standing in relevé
10 needle kicks each leg
10 straddle jumps
10 split jumps
10 split leaps
1 min left/right/middle/pancak split
5x5 sec bridge

Strength:

10x 90° leg lifts
20x full leg lifts
20x tuck-ups

20 V-Ups
20 tuck-ups
20 straddle-ups
20 Hollow rocks
20sec hollow hold

3x10 pull-ups
3x10 dips
3x10 pike push-ups

3x15 squat jumps with ankle weights
3x15 single calf raises

3x15 reverse sit-ups with wrist weights
3x15 reverse leg lifts with ankle weights

3x3 straddle press handstands

Some mom's have awfully complained about this. They are afraid that the kids won't make any progress.
Some even said it is nonsense to do all those standing back handsprings and tucks.

The coach told us that they have 8 hours to work just on their harder skills like the tumbling passes, bar skills like giants/free hips/stalders and their vaults and it is good to have a day or two just on basics because in the end it will help the kids.

I don't know what I should think about it and I am curious to hear your opinion!

I honestly don't know about the skills/conditioning stuff listed...I just find it interesting that your coaches would give the parents a list as comprehensive as this!! Looks like it's going to backfire on them though...

We knew about that since some weeks know and because parents where constantly asking, they had like a short "info-meet" were we were also given the list...

Why did the coaches send this level of detail to the parents?

I have no clue!

I usually don't really care about what my kids do in the gym. I am really proud and I am happy as long as they are happy...they just do it for fun!

But many parents do care a lot (too much?) at my gym and there have been some pretty bad words about this new system.
Some mom's even said that they were going to another gym, becaue they are sure the kids won't do anything on these "basic drills" days.
But in fact, they just have one coach for 16 girls, so they decided to part them and while L7 is working specific skills, L6 does basics and conditioning and vice versa.
I think the coaches just wanted to do everything to prove they give their best!
We have 5 L9 gymnasts so I think they know what they are doing, just wanted to hear your opinion.

I don't get the problem. They probably were doing this much conditioning and basic skills anyway when they were all together. Now they are just separating the 6's and 7's so that they have their own time with the coaches. Makes sense to me. And personally I think it was dumb of the coaches to give that much information. If they had not said anything none of the parents would have complained or known any better.

To the OP, are you saying that while some kids are working on their basics, another group will be working with the coach on harder skills? Does that leave the group of kids working on basics unsupervised? If so, that would be an issue for me. I am not really into "independent" gymnastics workouts. It is very easy for kids to change how they do a skill or change their body shape and they don't even know it's happening. Without constant reinforcement, even the basics can be messed up and then you are stuck in a situation of trying to fix a bad habit that has developed because nobody was their to remind the kids about technique.

I don't get the problem. They probably were doing this much conditioning and basic skills anyway when they were all together. Now they are just separating the 6's and 7's so that they have their own time with the coaches. Makes sense to me. And personally I think it was dumb of the coaches to give that much information. If they had not said anything none of the parents would have complained or known any better.

Thanks so much for your input!

In my opinion, you are totally right. They would spend 2-3 times a week in hard conditioning, active and passive flexibility anyways...
I think most parents complained because this new system means that the kids can only work on the apparatus 3 times a week...

To the OP, are you saying that while some kids are working on their basics, another group will be working with the coach on harder skills? Does that leave the group of kids working on basics unsupervised? If so, that would be an issue for me. I am not really into "independent" gymnastics workouts. It is very easy for kids to change how they do a skill or change their body shape and they don't even know it's happening. Without constant reinforcement, even the basics can be messed up and then you are stuck in a situation of trying to fix a bad habit that has developed because nobody was their to remind the kids about technique.

Yes while L7s are working on harder skills on the apparatus, L6s are doing basics, stretching and conditioning.

They don't do alone, there is an assistant (I think he is the son of the HC) a very nice young men and has done gym for years...

I actually have absolutely no problem with that. But all the others are worried that it will harm the progress, so I wanted to ask how you would react...

As long as there is someone monitoring them on the basics and conditioning, I don't see the issue. Most gymnasts do all these things, they just mix them up throughout each practice. I too find it odd that the coaches gave the parents this much detail.

This is probably very similar to what they would be doing anyway. Instead of doing both the basics and up skills in the same session then they will be doing them on separate days.

This should actually have a positive effect on their skill learning as they will be able to have an I interrupted big block of time on skill development as well as very strong solid strength and basics.

Much ado about nothing...seems like a creative solution to the issues. Better than having a bunch of girls standing in line waiting on a turn for bars. Basics and good conditioning are the foundation of gymnastics...it is a worthy use of time.

Looking at the list, It is pretty much what goes on during every one of DD's practices. Just sprinkled throughout, instead of clumped into separate days. As long as there is someone to supervise, seems ok, though I would guess the girls are going to be very, very tired after these workouts.

We have a little problem here and I hope to get your opinions!

Older DD, 12, Level 6, but actually has most of her L7 skills, was training 18 hours in summer and is now expected to do 15.

I love our gym a lot, but it is pretty small. We have not enough coaches, so the L6 and L7 girls are going to train together this year.
So they introduced a new system today in order to handle the many kids better.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday DD is going to have skill training for for 2 1/2 hours. They warm-up for 40 minutes with some light conditioning and stretching and then go over to skill training, like their tumbling passes, bar skills like giants/free hips/stalders, vault and beam.
On Tuesday and Wednesday and on Saturday Morning (Saturday is optional) she is going to have Basic training.
We got a list what the kids are doing during this basic training.

OUR NEW BASIC TRAINING L6/L7

15 min warm-up+stretching

Skills:
10 cartwheels on beam
10 round-offs from knee
10 round-offs from stand
10 standing back handsprings
10 back handspring stepouts on the line
10 standing back tucks on the line
5 cartwheel back tucks on the line
10 full turns on the line

Flexibility active/passive:
10 front/side/straddle kicks lying on floor with thera band
10 front/side/back kicks holding onto stall bars
10 front/side/back kicks standing in relevé
10 needle kicks each leg
10 straddle jumps
10 split jumps
10 split leaps
1 min left/right/middle/pancak split
5x5 sec bridge

Strength:

10x 90° leg lifts
20x full leg lifts
20x tuck-ups

20 V-Ups
20 tuck-ups
20 straddle-ups
20 Hollow rocks
20sec hollow hold

3x10 pull-ups
3x10 dips
3x10 pike push-ups

3x15 squat jumps with ankle weights
3x15 single calf raises

3x15 reverse sit-ups with wrist weights
3x15 reverse leg lifts with ankle weights

3x3 straddle press handstands

Some mom's have awfully complained about this. They are afraid that the kids won't make any progress.
Some even said it is nonsense to do all those standing back handsprings and tucks.

The coach told us that they have 8 hours to work just on their harder skills like the tumbling passes, bar skills like giants/free hips/stalders and their vaults and it is good to have a day or two just on basics because in the end it will help the kids.

I don't know what I should think about it and I am curious to hear your opinion!

I have no idea what an "unbounded cheek" is!!!!! I don't know the exact numbers my DD does, but I think she does most of these things on a regular basis.

My only thing would be if they have just one conditioning (basic training) workout sheet and they do that 3 times a week exactly the same would be boredom.
I know I couldn't do the exact same pilates class 3 times a week.
At our gym they have several conditioning list cards that they rotate through. And that's with them then moving onto apparatus.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back