WAG Is there a way to ask a judge a question?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
I have a specific question about something in a compulsory routine (L3 floor) that I'm curious if it would have been a deduction.
I posted here as "Question for judges" and didn't get any takers, so I'm wondering, does anyone know if there is a site or anything where you can email, and specifically ask a judge a question?

(Yes, I know I could ask our coach, who should know the answer, but if it's something this coach taught her (or didn't catch), I don't want it seem that I'm attacking... this is strictly curiosity).

Thank you :)

I think this is a pretty good resource when it comes to that. Sorry you didn't get a response, maybe you could bump your thread, or repost. I would be happy to see if I know the answer, or I would ask one of my coaches that works with the L3's more than I do, and I'm sure we could figure something out, or realize there is one more thing I don't know! ;)

I think this is a pretty good resource when it comes to that. Sorry you didn't get a response, maybe you could bump your thread, or repost. I would be happy to see if I know the answer, or I would ask one of my coaches that works with the L3's more than I do, and I'm sure we could figure something out, or realize there is one more thing I don't know! ;)

Thanks so much!!

Here is my original post:
In another thread, it was said that there is a deduction if they don't stick with the same side throughout floor and beam routines. So, if she is going to split left, she has to leap left, cartwheel left, and back kickover/walkover left.

My DD does cartwheels and roundoffs lefty, but BWO righty.
She leaps with left foot in front, and splits with left in front.

But what I just found in a video of her while checking this out, is that in her L3 floor routine, she lifted her left leg, then into handstand and bridge. Then kicking back over, her right leg came first. I youtube'd and see that the three I found, if their left leg went first for handstand, their left leg kicked back over first.

Could DD have been being deducted for the switch in leg?
(attaching video)
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=D7NLZPorL1M
Thank you for any info!

for me, that link to me to my own youtube channel.
(not that i could answer your question, but still wanted to watch to see what you're referring to!)

On the way to bridge, her left leg goes first, on the kickover, her right leg goes first. All youtubes I see, whichever leg went first to go over, goes first to kick back.

Just curious if this is a deduction? (she's out of L3 now, so it's a moot point, but it might be helpful in the future)

Yikes! Not sure what is going on with that, but would never let a child switch like that. As for a deduction, I would have to give that a great big 'yes.' I've never been in that situation, so I'm not positive, but I believe that would have to fall under the rule of 'changing a major element', and that would mean loosing the entire value of the element, which if my memory is correct (it usually isn't) would be .60. If I'm wrong, someone else please jump in and help! ;)

so, gymsanity, would that have stood out to you without someone having mentioning it?
so cool what the trained eye can pick up on.

Yikes! Not sure what is going on with that, but would never let a child switch like that. As for a deduction, I would have to give that a great big 'yes.' I've never been in that situation, so I'm not positive, but I believe that would have to fall under the rule of 'changing a major element', and that would mean loosing the entire value of the element, which if my memory is correct (it usually isn't) would be .60. If I'm wrong, someone else please jump in and help! ;)

Thank you!
in old L3, DD pretty much kicked butt on the floor. In new L3 (where there are more opportunities to have this type of change), her scores were markedly lower. I just assumed she wasn't as good as the previous level. But other girls who used to come in much lower were now coming in much higher.
So With all of the talk about switching, etc, it got me to thinking if this might be the case. I know we have an issue coming up in the L4 floor too.

If anyone else can jump in and confirm, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to talk with HC about her switching issues, but I want to know that I know what I'm talking about ;)

I'm hoping someone who's a judge will jump in!

Just speaking to the deduction, and not the advisability of allowing a gymnast to do it this way, the text for the level 3 routine reads - "the routine may be reversed in its entirety; however, no single element may be reversed unless indicated by an asterisk. (*)". The handstand bridge and back kick-over both have asterisks in the text, so my understanding is they are allowed to be reversed with no deduction(same with the handstand roll and round off).

Just speaking to the deduction, and not the advisability of allowing a gymnast to do it this way, the text for the level 3 routine reads - "the routine may be reversed in its entirety; however, no single element may be reversed unless indicated by an asterisk. (*)". The handstand bridge and back kick-over both have asterisks in the text, so my understanding is they are allowed to be reversed with no deduction(same with the handstand roll and round off).

But does the fact that she switches legs DURING the element matter? Or is it two elements (handstand bridge is one, and the back kickover is another)?

I'm not one to question our coaches, so I'm really trying to find out as much as I can from people who know for certain. If we can nip this changing thing sooner than later, I think it would be much better...

Can you point me to where you found that? So I can read and see what she might have issues with this season?

'The handstand bridge and back kick-over both have asterisks in the text, so my understanding is they are allowed to be reversed with no deduction(same with the handstand roll and round off'
That's right, but they still have to be done correctly. That's why I felt there would be a good chance that it would fall under the rule of 'changing a major element,' which would be different than 'reversing' an element as you mentioned. :)

'The handstand bridge and back kick-over both have asterisks in the text, so my understanding is they are allowed to be reversed with no deduction(same with the handstand roll and round off'
That's right, but they still have to be done correctly. That's why I felt there would be a good chance that it would fall under the rule of 'changing a major element,' which would be different than 'reversing' an element as you mentioned. :)

So if they are both done correctly, just one is reversed, which is allowed, then what you're saying is there shouldn't be a deduction, but that if together they make "a major element", then it's a big deduction?

I'd say whatever leg they're more comfortable/powerful kicking over with should be the first leg to kick over in the bridge, simply because that will lead to back handspring step-outs and back layout step-outs in the future. I'm sure there are ways around this type of thing in the routine, though.

This is very common. The reason they kick their bad leg over is because they feel more stable standing on their good leg. It can come from a lack of strength and pushing to do the skill too early. She should start practicing on both legs.

Also I haven't been able to open the video yet but I highly doubt she got a deduction for it.

Okay watched it. She did a left handstand and a right kick over. Both elements individually have an asterisk next to them so you can absolutely do that. I'm not following your post at all, Gymsanity.

However, if her best split is her left, then doing a right kick over and BWO isn't going to maximize her potential in that respect at all. Kick over your best split.

The major deductions in that are lack of alignment on the kick over and how she exits the skill with poor alignment (trying to do pretty arms before finishing the lever).

But overall what she did is common. Now when I have a kid insisting on a right round off and a left handstand, that really throws me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back