Off Topic ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

R

raenndiva2009

I just did the ALS ice bucket challenge and it was awesome :) I posted the video on my Instagram (kaylee_514) so you can see it there... If I'm not allowed to have this here please tell me! If you don't know what it is it is a thing where you pour ice water all over you. I am drenched now.

Silly.

Actually you are supposed to do it and donate $10 to ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease in lieu of donating $100 to ALS. However, seeing that you are a minor, I think the donation can sort of be overlooked.

However, mute it if you have a problem with my cursing out the friend who got me to do this. OTOH, his little boy loved watching it about 20 times so he told me.

Well they say either you can donate or do the ice bucket. I chose the ice bucket. It was fun.

Yes, I just went over this with my 12 year old who was "nominated" to do it by a friend. It's gone viral amongst the young crowd on Instagram, but I don't think they are donating money, and really missing the point. Just do the ice bucket challenge, but don't call it ALS ice bucket challenge if you aren't donating money. Pointless and wasting water is how I'm seeing it.

I called it that because that is what it is called on Instagram\Facebook, etc. It is called that to raise awareness for ALS. Makes no sense though. I just did it because my friend challenged me and it was really hot out so yeah.

So this guy with ALS does the Ice bucket challenge at the end. He has to communicate with a computer so he's pretty disabled.

And it just lays the foundation of the Ice bucket challenge and how he hadn't done it yet.

You're not really wasting water. Water goes back into the water system where it's eventually treated. It gets dumped on to your grass and evaporates back into the air. It's not like it disappears into the void of the universe.

Cut your shower from 7 minutes to 2 minutes or even just 1 minute will save a lot more water than a bucket of ice and water.

And again Raenn, the point is you do the ICE BUCKET and the $10 donation instead of a $100 donation.

I'm still not upset the younger crowd is just doing the ice bucket instead. It spreads awareness and they might actually look up ALS and find out what it actually is and that serves enough purpose.

I'm just familiar with it because I was a baseball fanatic as a kid and Lou Gehrig and all.

Actually, it looks as though the act itself is raising awareness and therefore, raising money. I think it's awesome since it's mainly young people who are doing the challenge, and it's actually making a huge difference for ALS.
WTG young people!!
Most adults I know who've been challenged by youth have done the challenge as well as made donations. Here's a little more info: http://www.alsa.org/news/archive/als-ice-bucket-challenge.html

It's a big thing here in the uk at the moment but I've mainly only know of the celebrities doing it very much like the no make selfie we had earlier in the year and that raised over a million

It really annoyed me that my daughter was very upset about having to do this or donate $100 rather than $10. She doesn't get much more pocket money than that and the kids have no idea what it is about. It's the 'in' thing to do and nothing to do with awareness amongst the young teens.

We have a lot of kids at our house every weekend... My sister had been nominated by a friend to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. We made sure that the kids understood what ALS is and that the dumping of ice water is supposed to (slightly, briefly) simulate the feeling of the loss of control of the motor neurons.
She took the challenge and donated.

MY sister challenged me ... I did it the same night (and am donating)... I challenged both of my gymmies... etc. etc. They are both also donating too.

I haven't been nominated (yet, it's going around like wildfire) but I feel like kids shouldn't be doing the challenge "just for fun".

At least be informed about why you're dumping an ice bucket on yourself (as raenndrops said, perfect approach in my opinion). I don't think minors should HAVE to donate, but if it's all about peer pressure you're sort of missing the point.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back