Changes to the WAG program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is a very good reason why the front salto was taken out of level 3. That is that there are laws restricting many coaches from teaching front salto's. At this stage gymnastics coaches have to have a special salto qualification to be allowed to coach salto's.

Under the new system, intermediate WAG coaches will be allowed to coach level 1-2, and they will not be permitted to coach salto's, these coaches can only coach IDP 1. Coaches must be intermediate bronze level to coach any skills that require flight and rotation.

For a kid to be able to do a front tuck to two crash mats in level 3, then they would at least need to be learning them on the trampoline by level 2.

Sorry - another question...since I find all this very interesting, and it's nice to actually get some answers from people who know what they're talking about!!

So...it says that there will be a core program as of next year, which will serve as the basis for a foundation for both IDP and NDP (I'm presuming level 1? Or does it mean "pre" level 1?).

Does this mean they intend the kids in both programs to be learning the same skills? If so, is this going to be a separate foundation program to be released? TIA :)

So basically the level 5 skills are now level 6 skills? I think that if things change I will just compete level 6 because my level 5 skills are the level 4 skills... I'm so confused

No, level 5 skills are still level 5 skills. The basic core skills have not really changed for each apparatus except in a few circumstances in a few levels. Level 4-7 vault is easier, and a few bar requirements, like you only need one kip in level 5 instead of two, but this is still a harder requirement than the old level 5.

Also so,e rules about angles like the free of split leaps and casts.

The removal of bonus skills will mean the routines will seem more basic, but they won't be as basic as the level below them was.

Can anyone tell me if the program will make it easier to swap over to IPD at mid levels. From what l have read, this is the case. But can anyone comfirm this and tell me how and at what levels this can be a possibility. Previously l have thought that the higher you go through the NDP levels, and the older a child is, the harder it would be for this to happen.. but will the new changes make this easier?

Technically yes as clear cross over information is given to IDP.
In reality no different as there will still only be a few girls trained to that level at the right age being trained in an ndp environment.

Our situation is this- my daughter, who is 7 (turning 8 next may 2015) has competed NDP2 this year and with the changes to the new program will be training and competing level 4 for next year. She has been talent I.D.'d twice in the last 12 months by 2 Victorian IDP clubs, one of which we went through the assessment and she was accepted. At the time, November last year, we felt she was still too young and I think she is still too young.
So my question is- when would be (possibly) our last chance to re-visit this??? I was thinking in 12 months time would probably be it?

The idea is to make it easier for girls to transition to IDP from NDP. Once of our countries biggest failings at an international level is the fact that many of our top gymnasts don't get a shot at it because they took the wrong path.

A lot os related to the naming of the levels. In the current system IDP 2 is supposedly equivalent to NDP 4. So if a level 4 kid wanted to go international then they would drop back to level 2 to compete. many kids don't want to do this and would rather stay in the national stream where they can be a higher level. Under the new system an NDP kid who transferred to IDP wold go to the same level (in most circumstances).

The idea is to make it easier for girls to transition to IDP from NDP. Once of our countries biggest failings at an international level is the fact that many of our top gymnasts don't get a shot at it because they took the wrong path.

A lot os related to the naming of the levels. In the current system IDP 2 is supposedly equivalent to NDP 4. So if a level 4 kid wanted to go international then they would drop back to level 2 to compete. many kids don't want to do this and would rather stay in the national stream where they can be a higher level. Under the new system an NDP kid who transferred to IDP wold go to the same level (in most circumstances).
But what about age limits. Looks like they have been lowered now in IDP which makes it harder again..

Our situation is this- my daughter, who is 7 (turning 8 next may 2015) has competed NDP2 this year and with the changes to the new program will be training and competing level 4 for next year. She has been talent I.D.'d twice in the last 12 months by 2 Victorian IDP clubs, one of which we went through the assessment and she was accepted. At the time, November last year, we felt she was still too young and I think she is still too young.
So my question is- when would be (possibly) our last chance to re-visit this??? I was thinking in 12 months time would probably be it?

In what way do you feel that she is too young? Too you to handle it mentally/physically/amount of training hours? Could she try it for a while? She might surprise you and handle it fine :)

What are the clubs records/ reputation like with kids getting to the higher levels/injuries etc?

I guess it is a toss up between risking that she *may* burn out, and the risk that by next year things could change and they may not make her the same offer?

Could she try it for a while and if she is getting sick of it then drop back to NDP (and prob be a young level 6/7-which would then maybe allow her to be the right age to swap back to IDP later when she is older)?

I have had a couple of girls I used to coach move to Waverley and have heard good things about it.

Are you worried about the rest of the family handling the hours? It's a big family time commitment. If *you* aren't worried about the time and she wants to do more, then give her a go.
There are so many things that could happen between now and any potential burn out.
If she doesn't get the chance, you'll never know. Also, she might turn around and ask you in a year or two why you didn't let her try. If you're OK with possibly having that discussion, then that's fine. If that doesn't sound like fun then give her a go. You can always drop her back if it seems like too much.

I can't see where the ages are inconsistent, although it is a bit fiddly with comparing years.

The age limits for IDP have not been lowered. When it says max age 7 for IDP 2,'this is because the new 2, will be like the old 1. 7 was the max age before for 1.

Reactions: COz
The proposal shows the new plan for both IDP and NDP but the new NDP program only will be released next year. IDP is still being developed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back