Parents Team size.. what's considered small or big?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
I've seen in various threads on here where people talk about "smaller gyms" or large teams, etc. Being a brand new gym parent, this is one of those areas that I lack perspective on. So what do you consider a small team? How many gymnasts per level? How many total? And what is considered large?

At dd's level there are 12 girls and she is level 2. From what I've observed, I think the level 2, 3, 4 and 5 teams are all in the 12-15 gymnasts range. The level 6-10 teams are slightly smaller, maybe 6-10? All total I heard her gym has a little over 90 people on their USAG team. They do not do xcel, but they do have a more recreational team that competes with other local rec teams. I think there are quite a few girls doing that program. So is that considered small, average or large? Is there a typical size team?

I am new to all of this too and I am assuming our gym is very small I know level 2 has the most girls and there are six of them. It gets smaller each level from there. There are only 4 optional girls all together one 6 two 8's and a level 10 girl. We live in a very small town though in a rural state so I wouldn't expect too many gymnasts around here.

That sounds large compared to gyms where we live. There are at most 5-6 per level at most of the gyms around here.

We have 51 on team, and approximately 16 optionals. We don't consider levels 1 and 2 team. We are about average sized for our state.

At my gym we have around 20-25 level 2's but the senior gymnasts drop off major! In levels 7-10 we have 6! I am the only level 9

Level 2-10 we have about 24 gymnats. 10 of them are optionals. Our rec team has about 30 girls. My dd is a level 6. There are 6 girls in her level. There are gyms near us that have 15/level.

Our entire team is under 60 with about 20 optionals. I always say we are a "small" gym but maybe we're actually medium sized? I don't know...I just know we aren't a large gym. Our big gym neighbor has 90 Level 2s!

Our entire team is under 60 with about 20 optionals. I always say we are a "small" gym but maybe we're actually medium sized? I don't know...I just know we aren't a large gym. Our big gym neighbor has 90 Level 2s!

i think you may be more medium than you thought! we spent last year (our first year) at a small gym: ~20 xcel bronze/silver, and only six girls levels 4-8. that's small!

We have about 40 L 3-10's. Pea's group is by far the largest, all 10 are training L6-8. They will triple our optional head count :)

I've always considered our gym small...

We have about:

14 level 2
7 Level 3
4 -5 Level 4
4- 5 Level 5
About 10 Optionals

We have about ten on the boys team as well.

At our gym, the biggest level is level 3 (or maybe level 4 this year, not sure what the size of the new L3 group will be). We also are another one where the optionals significantly drop off. Only a handful (under 5?) are L7-9.

We just moved so I don't know about the JO program size, but DDs xcel program has about 8 girls total for all levels. Definitely a small program, although doubtful it's a small gym.

I thought our gym was pretty small, but at some meets we attended we were one of the largest groups (L4 last year) with 12girls. In some meets, there were gyms with 15-20 girls in the same level and also gyms who had 2 or 3 girls on the team. I always felt bad for the teams with less girls than needed to even get a team score...
I would say as of now it looks as if our JO team this year has
15ish L3
7-8 L4
8-10 L5
12-14 L7-10

At the last meet that we hosted last spring (that's how figure out how many we have, because typically they all come to it), we actually had 65 from level 1-9
4 level 4s and 12 optionals. The rest were 1-3.
I believe DDs upcoming L4 team is one of the largest 4s we've had (L5 before last year), and we (moms) are guessing we have 12.

So I guess we're kind of medium sized. I always thought we were small :)

Perhaps we're 'medium' based on responses so far?

Approximately...
L3 - 8
L4 - 21
L5/6 - 5
L 7/8 - 4
L 9 - 2
L10 (none currently - a couple graduated)

So about 40 JO girls total.
Plus about 30 Xcel girls (I think)
And about 20 Boys of L4-9

IDK, our gym has between 80-90 L3-L10 (+a couple of XCel Platinums), but I always considered it a medium sized gym.

Lol, when OG started this crazy journey, she was one of 7 @ L4... then there were 5 @ L5 and 2 @ L7. THAT is small.
The next year, there were 14 on the L4 team, 6 on the L5 team and 1 L7.
And the team kept growing from there.
16 L4, 12 L5, 4 L6
22 L4, 9 L5, 10 L6, 2 L7
24 L4, 11 L5, 4 L6, 4 L7, 3 Xcel Gold
this past season, we had: 18 L3, 15 L4, 4 L6, 2 L7, 7 Xcel Gold and 1 Xcel Platinum.

We are considered a medium to large team now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back