WAG 8th grade Verbal recruit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@gasrgoose - I beg to differ and I know from where I speak. It is NOT possible to meet NCAA eligibility requirements after only the 8th grade.

You are correct and I didn't say it was. I said it was possible to predict admittance not actually be admitted. And the specifics of admission are not the point I'm trying to (poorly?) make. I'm saying let's talk about 8th grade recruiting and early recruiting without talking about if a specific kid has a release move on bars, if she will even be smart enough to get into college or if she has taken the SAT yet.

It was simply my suggestion. I was trying to prove that the statement made might not be accurate and because of that we should stay away from specifics about this kid. I'm not a moderator and i doubt talking about her specifically is against the rules.

You sound just like my ODD! She took the ACT last year and was considering college instead of middle school. She had also known she wanted to be a dr and attend Johns Hopkins since she was about 4- she is 13 and hasn't wavered. Honestly, I am in awe of her. I hope you got in, and I hope she does also.

That was me! From the age of about 8, I was absolutely sure I wanted to be not just a doctor, but a surgeon. I got stethoscopes, microscopes, and Grey's Anatomy as birthday gifts. I even applied and was admitted to a special program that would have gotten me to my MD in six years. Midway through my senior year in high school, I decided that I wanted to be a lawyer instead.

Now, I am neither. And extremely happy in my career. :)

This girl is a rising 8th/9th grader; she has her entire high school academic career ahead of her to include meeting all of the NCAA academic eligibility rules. She hasn't taken a single standardized test and has no sense of whether or not she can even academically qualify for the school.
Being homeschooled in NC, she has taken nationally standardized testing. It's a yearly requirement. So her parents should have a pretty good idea of where she stands percentile wise. Yes, she has to get through the course work as well but the standardized testing is a pretty sound indicator of how well she will do.

Last edited:
That was me! From the age of about 8, I was absolutely sure I wanted to be not just a doctor, but a surgeon. I got stethoscopes, microscopes, and Grey's Anatomy as birthday gifts. I even applied and was admitted to a special program that would have gotten me to my MD in six years. Midway through my senior year in high school, I decided that I wanted to be a lawyer instead.

Now, I am neither. And extremely happy in my career. :)
. Same here. Wanted to be a pediatrician from the time I was 5 through senior year in high school. Ended up with a BA in education and went on for a Masters in something completely different.
Dd has wanted the same college since she was 5. She is now 13 and is looking beyond. So much changes. When they are young, it's a dream. As they age, they realize there are so many more factors that come into play.

This is her body of work as a 9 last year....EXACTLY 5 MEETS AS A 9:

04-102014 Region 8 Level 9, 10 Regional ChampionshipsSoutheastern Gymnastics Center19Jr 29.100 (11)9.525 (1)8.675 (22)9.150 (15)36.450 (8)
2014-03-212014 North Carolina Level 9, 10 State MeetSoutheastern Gymnastics Center29Jr B9.175 (3T)9.550 (2)9.275 (5T)9.450 (1)37.450 (3T)
2014-03-072014 Charleston CupSoutheastern Gymnastics CenterB029JrA9.400 (2)9.500 (1)9.275 (4)8.625 (10)36.800 (3)
2014-02-26Greensboro Gymnastics InvitationalSoutheastern Gymnastics CenterA-59Division B9.050 (4)9.450 (1)9.100 (3)8.975 (4)36.575 (1)
2014-01-302014 Tiger Paw ClassicSoutheastern Gymnastics Center7-O9Group A9.000 (3)9.400 (2)9.000 (2)9.425 (4)36.825 (2)

So I'm not seeing it either ...one of the sites announcing it said she was "especially strong on beam and bars"....not particularly on beam... and none of her results are even as a Level 10 so it doesn't matter how "strong" she is as a 9...she is at Southeastern and they tend to get their kids committed early but they usually have the results to back it up (a la the Glenn twins to UCLA ) ...this just reinforce the creep factor I've always felt about the Utah coach...

Greg, Megan his wife and Tom Farden are top drawer people. no creep factor exists. and no way they offered this girl anything in the grade she is in at the moment. they just don't do it. i hate that site for all the BS they put up on there.

now, i'm off to go verify bar routines for Marta in my Nastia hot pink leo! i'm making the National Team this week end!! wish me luck!!! the field is so dense because Elite is so easy i only have to compete against 12 other girls. i think i can beat them!! go USA!! :)

Greg, Megan his wife and Tom Farden are top drawer people. no creep factor exists. and no way they offered this girl anything in the grade she is in at the moment. they just don't do it. i hate that site for all the BS they put up on there.

now, i'm off to go verify bar routines for Marta in my Nastia hot pink leo! i'm making the National Team this week end!! wish me luck!!! the field is so dense because Elite is so easy i only have to compete against 12 other girls. i think i can beat them!! go USA!! :)

Interesting. Now we need to work out why this is all over the internets!!!

Hope that leo works out for you, I hear those rhinestones can be brutal.

@gasrgoose - I beg to differ and I know from where I speak. It is NOT possible to meet NCAA eligibility requirements after only the 8th grade.

that's absolutely correct, MeetDirector. can't be done. the youngest that i know of that EVER cleared the clearing house had completed the 10th grade with summer school. NO WAY it could be done in middle school. and if it could be done, that kid is going to MIT at 16. and they can't compete college at that age cause their too young. that's an NCAA rule also :)

have i told you that the NCAA is a legally operated drug cartel??? :)

Being homeschooled in NC, she has taken nationally standardized testing. It's a yearly requirement. So her parents should have a pretty good idea of where she stands percentile wise. Yes, she has to get through the course work as well but the standardized testing is a pretty sound indicator of how well she will do.

no, it's not. all that matters is the "core" curriculum and the ACT test. MANY have blown standardized testing out of the water and then couldn't clear the clearinghouse for eligibility. that's a fact. but i'm NOT going to names names cause i don't do that. it's embarrassing if you know what i mean. :)

@dunno, I am honored to be validated by you, sir. And I will validate your statements about the Marsdens. I agree that this is not something that they would do.

Now, you in a pink leo? Not something for my eyes, I do think. Thank you again.

I started to write that standardized testing in middle school was meaningless, but then erased it. Since Dunno has said it, I will whole heartedly agree with his statement. An ACT/SAT test that early is not an indicator for actual course completion needed for NCAA eligibility.

This is so weird because this young girl is the one reporting the verbal commit to Utah on her personal website. The strange thing is, the verbal commit is dated the same day that it looks like her website was put up (at least according to the news page).

It looks weird for her (or whoever is handling her website) to be publicly stating that she has verbally committed if that is not accurate. In this case, I don't blame collegegymfans for posting the info. It looks like it came directly from the gymnast and who would think someone would publicly state that if it isn't true? It seems like that would open a whole can of worms to deal with down the road.

This is so weird because this young girl is the one reporting the verbal commit to Utah on her personal website. The strange thing is, the verbal commit is dated the same day that it looks like her website was put up (at least according to the news page).

It looks weird for her (or whoever is handling her website) to be publicly stating that she has verbally committed if that is not accurate. In this case, I don't blame collegegymfans for posting the info. It looks like it came directly from the gymnast and who would think someone would publicly state that if it isn't true? It seems like that would open a whole can of worms to deal with down the road.

you got that right!

You sound just like my ODD! She took the ACT last year and was considering college instead of middle school. She had also known she wanted to be a dr and attend Johns Hopkins since she was about 4- she is 13 and hasn't wavered. Honestly, I am in awe of her. I hope you got in, and I hope she does also.
I got in... did well... but decided I wanted to be a professional college student :) 2 Bachelor's Degrees and a Masters. I am done for a while... unless I decide to go to Law School... which I may, lol.
I took the SAT as part of a gifted program at my school (we got to take the SAT in 7th and 8th AND we got to go to Summer School after 5th -8th... that was it!). In 7th grade, we had to reschedule our SAT due to weather and the rescheduled test was in a big cafeteria. Had the high schoolers believing that our school just had a bunch of geniuses getting ready for college at 12-13 (which was unheard of way back then). It was hilarious until our Guidance Counselor ruined it :oops:.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back