WAG approaching judges table after final salute

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Score cards are up to the coach to distribute here. Score cards used to be integral before we used palm pilots to enter into the electronic scoreboard systems, but nowadays I guess you could skip them because usually the judges write it on a paper and hand the paper and card to the input person, who inputs it and writes it on the card. But we use the cards to give the judges the order. I suppose otherwise you'd have to use a list or something. But even all of the out of state meets I've been to have used cards for the order. So my guess is the coaches just aren't handing them back at the end.

I guess I'm really missing out. I've never encountered score cards at any of our meets either (we started in this sport in 2009). But then, every meet I've been to or worked at used ProScore (or something similar) to track the scores, and every judge had a keypad to enter scores directly in to the system (and starting last season a large number of the meets were uploading live scores to MSO).

The only time I ever saw anything different was the SEC championships where they used hand held signs and runners with slips of paper between the judges table and the scoring table. I thought it was odd that the SEC used less technology than any JO meet I had ever been to.

With ACHIEVEMENT meets, they get the ribbon based on score, not placement, immediately after they compete. This is what you are seeing.

OP, your daughter competes for PLACEMENT.
Not always true! MY DD used to get ribbons at the table first, then placement with medals at awards!

i would love a score card! its up to us to write them down or hope they are posted on mymeetscores or the like. coach gets a copy of scores, but i think they are sent to them after the meet.

i actually didn't realize that not all meets post scores and i was so bummed that i didn't write them down for my daughter. i'm always busy taking photos and video and just assumed they would always be posted.

I guess I'm really missing out. I've never encountered score cards at any of our meets either (we started in this sport in 2009). But then, every meet I've been to or worked at used ProScore (or something similar) to track the scores, and every judge had a keypad to enter scores directly in to the system (and starting last season a large number of the meets were uploading live scores to MSO).

The only time I ever saw anything different was the SEC championships where they used hand held signs and runners with slips of paper between the judges table and the scoring table. I thought it was odd that the SEC used less technology than any JO meet I had ever been to.

Just out of curiosity, how do the coaches give your judges the order in your state? We put the cards in the order the kids are going to go, then hand them to the judges.

Just out of curiosity, how do the coaches give your judges the order in your state? We put the cards in the order the kids are going to go, then hand them to the judges.

For many of the meets, the order follows what is listed on the rotation sheet. I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the meet directors ask the coaches ahead of time for the order. If a change has to be made last minute, the coach just tells the judge at the beginning of the rotation. Scratches are typically handled before the first rotation starts, but they usually don't affect the ordering of the remaining competitors.

I have been at meets where the coaches used cards for specifying the order. But they weren't score cards: they were just index cards with the gymnasts name and number.

I too had never seen that before. I think it would be discouraging if you had a collection of ribbons with you during the meet to remind you that you got a 7 or an 8, and could cause gloating by the ones sporting a collection of blues. I know there were girls on my dd's team that would totally have flaunted their blues during the meet to the ones who weren't getting blues. It was bad enough when they knew they had higher scores without something in their hands to keep reminding them. But I guess it's what you're used to.

For many of the meets, the order follows what is listed on the rotation sheet. I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the meet directors ask the coaches ahead of time for the order. If a change has to be made last minute, the coach just tells the judge at the beginning of the rotation. Scratches are typically handled before the first rotation starts, but they usually don't affect the ordering of the remaining competitors.

I have been at meets where the coaches used cards for specifying the order. But they weren't score cards: they were just index cards with the gymnasts name and number.
Most of the time it's random or alphabetically, especially for compulsories. You have to follow the order on the rotation sheet. Sometimes in optionals they go by equipment setting.

I just don't remember my DD doing any of this kind of stuff. I remember that at all of her L3 meets, she got a card with her ribbons at the end of the meet but she didn't pick up a ribbon after each event. I don't know who was responsible for getting the cards together, gluing on each ribbon, and then getting each set of cards to the appropriate teams but I don't remember seeing our coaches deal with it. Now it has been about three years ago so maybe I just don't remember.....

And it only happened once at L5. Even though it was only her second year competing, she was over the ribbon thing. She just kind of snorted and said she wasn't a "baby" (ironic, because yeah, she was kind of still a baby). But again, it was at the end of the competition.

Almost all meets here use Proscore or another computer system. I used to help run our home meet, and the rotation order in proscore is all set up randomly by how the gymnasts are entered into the computer system, and then they are systematically rotated through the 4 events. So if you have 12 girls in a squad, the program moves the top 3 to the bottom for the next event. The coaches do not have any input in the order and the rotation schedules are printed out before the coaches are even there for the session, changes are only made if there are several scratches to balance out squads. The only exception is sometimes vault where they may group the girls based on Tsuks and yurchenkos. That is why I always find the threads here about coaches choosing the order to maximize scores/accusing of playing favorites, etc so funny. My dd unfortunately ended up starting on beam at both states and regionals this year- 1st competitor of the session for both meets- I was not happy with proscore! Lol!

Almost all meets here use Proscore or another computer system. I used to help run our home meet, and the rotation order in proscore is all set up randomly by how the gymnasts are entered into the computer system, and then they are systematically rotated through the 4 events. So if you have 12 girls in a squad, the program moves the top 3 to the bottom for the next event. The coaches do not have any input in the order and the rotation schedules are printed out before the coaches are even there for the session, changes are only made if there are several scratches to balance out squads. The only exception is sometimes vault where they may group the girls based on Tsuks and yurchenkos. That is why I always find the threads here about coaches choosing the order to maximize scores/accusing of playing favorites, etc so funny. My dd unfortunately ended up starting on beam at both states and regionals this year- 1st competitor of the session for both meets- I was not happy with proscore! Lol!

Don't blame Proscore. It actually doesn't care what order the gymnasts compete. The chief judge on each event is responsible for entering the gymnast's number on the scoring keypad before scores are entered. The gymnast can be anyone in the session (maybe anyone at the meet, although I haven't tested that). But obviously the judge has to know what order the gymnasts are competing so that he or she can enter the correct number. That's where the printed rotation report comes in: every judge and coach has a copy. But if the coach and judge decide to use a different order, then the judge just enters a different number. Proscore will handle it just fine.

Well.... I guess you can blame Proscore for picking the random order. :)

(Yes, I run the scoring computer at our gym's meets. So I've seen Proscore in action.)

My dd unfortunately ended up starting on beam at both states and regionals this year- 1st competitor of the session for both meets- I was not happy with proscore! Lol!
I would take that over competing last in the session. this past season at regionals, dd warmed up and then had to wait 20+minutes before she actually competed. Not exactly the best for a girl who overthinks everything. I was really proud of her for keeping it together and staying focused.

We have only been to 1 meet in all three years of DD's competition career that determined the order of the line up. That's over 20 meets, and many of them large meets. We've been east and west of the Mississippi, as well as north and south of the Mason Dixon line. All other meets, it's coach's choice.

Do your kids get score cards from most meets? My son got one at a meet in NC and I think that is it after 3 seasons competing. My older DD I think has gotten one with one season USAG and one season AAU. Younger DD I'm pretty sure has never gotten one - one year USAG and one AAU.

We were at that meet as well (local for us), and that was the only time we've ever seen a score card. It's definitely not the norm here. I liked it, though, because I was able to see how many bonuses they gave my son credit for.

We were at that meet as well (local for us), and that was the only time we've ever seen a score card. It's definitely not the norm here. I liked it, though, because I was able to see how many bonuses they gave my son credit for.

you're right, I forgot that they showed the SV and all on that card! It was nice. I wish that they would get more, especially for the boys since there is the difference in potential scores due to bonuses!

We have only been to 1 meet in all three years of DD's competition career that determined the order of the line up. That's over 20 meets, and many of them large meets. We've been east and west of the Mississippi, as well as north and south of the Mason Dixon line. All other meets, it's coach's choice.

Yeah, I've been to a few different states and I have seen it, but fairly rarely and the coaches could still change it if they wanted to. We used to do it for state meets here, but everyone was changing it so they haven't been doing it the last couple of years. Not in the levels I coach anyway, granted I didn't go to every single state meet. I wish they would do it so everyone at the Bronze and level 3 Olympics would calm down and stop worrying about which team has to go first in the flight. A set order would make me extremely happy.

Don't blame Proscore. It actually doesn't care what order the gymnasts compete. The chief judge on each event is responsible for entering the gymnast's number on the scoring keypad before scores are entered. The gymnast can be anyone in the session (maybe anyone at the meet, although I haven't tested that). But obviously the judge has to know what order the gymnasts are competing so that he or she can enter the correct number. That's where the printed rotation report comes in: every judge and coach has a copy. But if the coach and judge decide to use a different order, then the judge just enters a different number. Proscore will handle it just fine.

Well.... I guess you can blame Proscore for picking the random order. :)

(Yes, I run the scoring computer at our gym's meets. So I've seen Proscore in action.)

Meets here standardly use the printed rotation order, coaches do not request changes. A couple meets even have the printed rotation order in the program book so you can follow along.

This talk about the rotation order is interesting. All of the meets that we have been to in GA have the rotation schedule in the program. It is the only reason that I buy the program! I remember going to a meet in AL and asking for the rotation schedule and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. I had thought that it was so strange not to have that. I guess it isn't!

This talk about the rotation order is interesting. All of the meets that we have been to in GA have the rotation schedule in the program. It is the only reason that I buy the program! I remember going to a meet in AL and asking for the rotation schedule and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. I had thought that it was so strange not to have that. I guess it isn't!

this was my experience in our first year, too. of 7 meets, i'm certain at least 4 had order printed in program.
*north carolina, by the way.

I would say about 75% of the meets we have gone to use print rotation sheets and they are in the program for the parent. And like 2g1b, thats the only reason we buy the program. coaches rarely change the order. We mainly stay in NC, SC, GA, but have been to MD, FL, and TN . Some meets will specify who goes first on which event - usually it counts down 3-4 girls, so the 1st girl would start first rotation, the3/4 girl start 2nd rotation and so on. when the dont specify, its up to the coaches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back