WAG Coaches please help me! Do I really need this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello!

I hope you can help me here, I am really frustrated!

Since I can imagine, I didn't like speed and it's still the same today.
I have perfect standing tucks on beam, but I just hate FH vault!

So my question is actually about back extension rolls.
When we started learning the bent ones, all of my teammates did it from stand, rolling back and then up to handstand. I always preferred it from sitting in pike, I couldn't do it from
stand!

In September I will start learning free hips and stalders to handstand, but I can't do a straight arm back extension roll yet!

All my teammates do it from stand, roll back with a little hop and get to handstand. I fail everytime. But the weird thing is, when I am sitting in a pike position and roll back, I can get to push-up position easily with good form! When my teammates try this, they can't do that.

I know for a free hip/stalder/toe shoot you should have a straight arm back extension roll from a stand.
But would a good one from
sitting and just roll into push up position be enough?
Are they really that important for stalders? I hate them so much :(

I hope you have some advice!

Down a wedge to HS is important. On floor its in the USAG routines.

Thank you!

Down a wedge from stand or sitting?
I never tried it on a wedge. I can do a bent arm one from sitting and a straight arm from sit to push-ups. I cant do them from stand.
I just don't get how to keep and transfer my speed from sitting down to handstand.

And can you tell me why it is important? Is it just important for free hips or also for stalders and toe shoots?

The back extension roll is the easiest form of the movement you need for hitting handstand in free hips, toe ons and stalders. It is basically the action of opening the angle between your arms and the torso but results to be more complicated than it sounds. So either way you will have to learn how to do it at some point.

That being said, I always kind of cheated my way up to handstand with bent arms and ended up learning free hips first. Took me a whole lot longer than the other girls however.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back