new to gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

boggop

Gymnast
Hi everyone, I'm 14 years old and possibly joining gymnastics this winter. I'm trying to learn as many skills as I can before my first class. (it's only recreation) So far, I can do 2/3 splits, (left & middle) and my left splits is an oversplit now. I can do a backbend and can get my foot up in preparation to do a back walkover. I have a strong bridge, handstands & I'm in the same place with my front walkover as the back.
I do strength conditioning/flexibility every day. Should it take me long to get where I should be?

Depends on what level you want to get to. Really, you should work on the kickover part of your back walkover. And getting up out of your front walkover. I f you have basic skills (cartwheel, handstand, round off, etc.), then you will be fine for your first class. You can't really work on bars, or vault, or really beam, but you can polish up your floor. If you work on your BHS (which I wouldn't recommend it self taught, although mine was self taught), you could work towards level 3. I really think you could become a level 3 depends on your skills. What level are you shooting for?

Depends on what level you want to get to. Really, you should work on the kickover part of your back walkover. And getting up out of your front walkover. I f you have basic skills (cartwheel, handstand, round off, etc.), then you will be fine for your first class. You can't really work on bars, or vault, or really beam, but you can polish up your floor. If you work on your BHS (which I wouldn't recommend it self taught, although mine was self taught), you could work towards level 3. I really think you could become a level 3 depends on your skills. What level are you shooting for?
I'd say I'm aiming for about level 3 or 4 right now skill wise. I'm hoping to get my kickover within the next week..I feel like I am really close to it!

Okay cool :) Oh you live in Canada? I was referring to USAG level 3/4. What are the levels there?

Personally I wouldn't suggest working on the kickover unless you have proper matting and knowledge of the best technique to make it happen. This is a skill that failure can cause you to land on your head. You *can* hurt yourself if you fall a certain way onto a surface that isn't soft enough. I'd more suggest making sure you are pushing with your feet so that your bridge has good form. Keeping up with stretching and conditioning are the safest, you can work on the harder skills once you start class where it is safer to do so. If you are flexible and strong enough, the actual skills should come more quickly with proper coaching and spotting.

~Katy

Personally I wouldn't suggest working on the kickover unless you have proper matting and knowledge of the best technique to make it happen. This is a skill that failure can cause you to land on your head. You *can* hurt yourself if you fall a certain way onto a surface that isn't soft enough. I'd more suggest making sure you are pushing with your feet so that your bridge has good form. Keeping up with stretching and conditioning are the safest, you can work on the harder skills once you start class where it is safer to do so. If you are flexible and strong enough, the actual skills should come more quickly with proper coaching and spotting.

~Katy
Thank you!!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back