WAG 6 year old skipping Level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

beyondmyfootsteps

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
So my 6 year old DD has been at our gym since she is 3 and has been in their developmental program. Last year she did great for the most part with L2. She was at the gym twice a week for 1.5 hours. Cost was high but decent for our geography. I am a former high school gymnast and coach... but it's been about 20 years so I try to stay out of it and let the gym do their thing.

So she started the new level this month. The coaching staff decided that the kids in her group should be moved up to a competitive level by next school year. To do this they have made training 6 hours per week and raised the price over $100 more a month. Okay... I can get over that but they are having the kids do things that were not previously emphasized with 1. Little to no spotting and 2. With no "fall out" instruction. Example... hand stand on high beam... no spotting being done (one girl nearly smacked her face into the beam last week) and one girl almost fell backwards without being taught on floor how to twist out of it. My daughter has a horrible take off for back hand springs, she throws her head back and just jumps straight up not back... yet they were spotting her for round off back handsprings on floor the other day... and don't get me started on her weak push off on the round off and her arms not being in the proper position upon landing.

I'm not trying to say I know better but I had a lot of injuries from gymnastics. Osgood Schlatter is in the family... both my husband and I had it. I required surgery on my shoulder and many other injuries. My DD loves gymnastics but I want her to have fun (she cried on the high beam when the coach held her in a forced handstand to a point she was shaking) and maybe even more important I want her safe. She is my kid so I get that it's nearly impossible to be objective.

On top of this 2 girls were moved into her preteam group from an advanced rec class. One has her back handspring and is just far better than my DD as well as the other kids that were in my DD's developmental group last year. The other is also much better skill wise than the kids who have been in the developmental program. I have an option to take her off preteam this year and put her in that advanced rec class plus the money and time I could save I could afford to do 2 private lessons a week (no way can I afford privates with the team tuition nor the schedule as I have 2 other kids, one with special needs). I'm on the fence. The coach even said she can be re evaluated next year for competitive team even if I take the other option. I don't want to hold her back at the same time I think more privates could help her hone her skills based on her unique needs not that of a group of 8-10. I also feel like I want her to develop more strength and flexibility and take things slow and get them right rather than race through. The final option is find a new gym... in my neck of the woods there is almost 1 on every corner. Some better than others, the one we have been at has a great reputation.

What will change at the gym if you wait a year? She might be better going into the team, but there's still going to be the issue of lack of spotting, etc that you mentioned. how will that change?

Since you have experience, you have the benefit of knowing what's wrong there. I would at the very least go into some other gyms without your daughter to see how they work with gymnasts. I don't know that I would wait another year at the same gym only to have the same problem. You certainly don't want her to get hurt.

I agree with your feeling that this structure doesn't seem to be what she needs to build a solid base. It sounds like the adv rec + privates would be better for this year, but I would also look around and think hard about how this gym meet her (and your) needs long term. It might be better to move sooner than later.

Honestly, in your scenario, I would try the advanced rec first (is it a different coach) and then probably try another gym if it still seems like proper progression is not emphasized.

I went to Level 4 from level 2, but I already had a solid BHS and roundoff double BHS. Your DD, on the other hand, should be a level 3, considering the skills she is working on\needs work on. If I were you I would put her in the advanced class and let her polish up her skills. Just my honest opinion. :)

I appreciate the honesty here. Keeping her safe is very important to me. If she isn't ready for something I think polishing up her skills is the best scenerio. She is only 6... I'm sure taking a step back at this point won't cost her a scholarship later (lol). What is sad is that I chose this program on purpose because they claimed not to compete the super young kids. I liked the fun environment and letting a serious interest come naturally rather than pushing it and burning the kids out. It's a lot to invest of time and money to hurt her or burn her out. I think I will let her go a few weeks into the school year and if things don't improve I will have her evaluated elsewhere. I truly appreciate the advice.

I completely agree with MaryA here. I never had to go through the problem with burning little kids out, as I started when I was older, around 11-12.

My gut would tell me find a new gym. If there's one on every corner (my neck of the woods is the same), then you will be able to find a great gym that allows young girls (she's 6!) to have fun and be safe. The coaches don't seem to get it from what you're saying!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back