Parents Scoring: Level 4 vs. Level 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRatMama

Proud Parent
My DD is about to start her competitive season as a new level 5. She did well last year, but other parents at the gym are telling me to expect lower scores this year because they believe that the scoring at level 5 is much more stringent than that of level 4. I am a bit nervous because the coach wants DD to score out of Level 5 and finish the season with the Level 6 team. If the scoring is that much more difficult I hope that she can score out of 5 as planned. Does anyone have insight about Level 5 scoring???

Everybody always talked about how much harder the scoring was at (old) level 6 (new 5) but I just didn't see it. No more so than the scoring at 5 is harder than 4, 4 is harder than 3, etc. Maybe in some regions it's a lot harder? The coaches have a good idea of what scoring will be like, so if they think your DD can do it, I would trust them. And my DD was in optionals before all the level changes, so I have no first hand experience with it, but it sounds like there is a lot of flexibility at new level 6.

Skills and angle requirements get harder/higher, so the scoring can be lower depending on where you live. Frankly, it's easier to score higher in Level 6 compared to level 5.

If your gym hires judges to come in for a small mock meet which is also a score out meet... They know what the goal is, and they know who signs their check/hired them. If the coaches think she will be OK for the score out, she probably will be fine.

Cast angles on bars get a lot of girls, as do free hips that don't get credit. But I would assume that your coaches are suggesting this because your DD is ready. My DD's gym occasionally scores a girl out of old L6/new L5 to go right into optionals, and it's always looked like a good decision in retrospect.

She should have no problem scoring out of L5 if that is her coaches plan. My DD competed L5 last year but the season started much earlier than usual for us and the team was not quite ready on all events after quickly having to learn the new routines. To the point where the coach was going to possibly have them scratch on bars. They went for it anyway and even with a really low score on bars, DD managed to get a state qualifying score at even the first meet of the season. (Barely, but she did it, lol!) In our case the judging was tough but fair.

Pea was L5 last year, and I don't think I saw any huge difference in scores. Bars were the toughest scores. Pea had the skills but would score in the high 8's usually and I have no idea what she was missing. I can't imagine, assuming your DD has the necessary skills, that she can't score out.

From my experience, scoring only seems tough when the gymmie doesn't meet the requirements. ;)

Really, for the most part it is consistent and fair. Occasionally, you will see a "tough" judge or meet, but that always happens.

Score requirement to move is 32 i think.....last season at our gym, L4 girls who scored 36 and 37s were getting 34s and 35s at L5....occasionally 36.
But I have heard that you do not need to score out of 5....

You do need to score out of L5, but not L6.
I do think L5 scores were on the low side last season. At our state meet it was a huge accomplishment to even get a 9.0 on vault.

At our state meet it was a huge accomplishment to even get a 9.0 on vault.[/QUOTE said:
Not the case in our state...Pea's 9.65 on vault earned her 9th place! Floor scores where on the low side at states but I think that was just a tough judge.

But yes, you must score out of L5, and I think it's a 32...

It's always fascinating to me how different the scoring seems in different regions/parts of the country. :)
I wouldn't say the 5's scored a lot lower than the 4's last year, but our scoring always seems much stricter than lots I see on here. And our girls do well in comparison to other teams here, it's not like their routines stink, even the very best girls score quite low in comparison to some here. Getting anything even close to a 34AA here is amazing....

I've heard the same thing, and the gym has the same plan for DD, to score out of 5 and finish in spring as a 6. I'm trying to brace myself for low scores. Her first meet as a new 4 was rough, so I'm not looking forward to 5.

Thanks for all of the insight. The coach thinks DD will actually do better at L6 than L5. She thinks it won't be a problem to score out, but listening to some of the parents makes me nervous. I would say everything is solid except for bars. Her free hip is inconsistent, but everything else in the routine looks good. The coach predicts a score somewhere in the 8 range for bars, which isn't great, but will help her to get the score to go to L6.

Thanks for all of the insight. The coach thinks DD will actually do better at L6 than L5. She thinks it won't be a problem to score out, but listening to some of the parents makes me nervous. I would say everything is solid except for bars. Her free hip is inconsistent, but everything else in the routine looks good. The coach predicts a score somewhere in the 8 range for bars, which isn't great, but will help her to get the score to go to L6.
Is she can score in an 8 range for each event then she can easily score out. Then she can work to her strengths in level 6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back