WAG liquid bandage for rips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sce

Proud Parent
Has anyone tried the liquid bandage products for rips? I am curious if it helps with the pain of doing bars with a newer rip.

We have tried it, it didn't really work for DD. Perhaps it was user error, it didn't stay on well plus she said it really hurt when applying (stung badly). If it had worked/helped, that would be ok but since it didn't... Well why make her suffer..? ;)

You can buy "healing gel" from pharmacies that is kind of jelly like in consistency and is applied 5mm thick over wounds. When dry, it is a thin layer that is flexible. IT DOESN'T STING LIKE THE SPRAY ON STUFF!!!
It lasts about half a day, then the edges start drying out and then you can peel it off. I've seen a few brands of it.

I imagine that it would rub off on bars, it's not really designed to withstand rubbing, but it might be something useful for afterwards.

I used to swear by this stuff! I still have a huge half used jar somewhere in my bedroom if anyone wants it :p
It makes some what of a new skin over the rip and it is supposed to be a pain reliever too. I would just put a thin layer of that over my rip (after it was done bleeding and after I poured hydrogen peroxide on it to clean it) and then put chalk over it and get back on the bar.
http://www.ten-o.com/Handebalm,1141.html?b=d*235

I used tea bags to actually heal the rips. Tape hot tea bags to your rips and then put socks on and keep it on over night. You will have tea stains on your hands for a while but it dries out the rips and makes it like new for the next day!

I used to swear by this stuff! I still have a huge half used jar somewhere in my bedroom if anyone wants it :p
It makes some what of a new skin over the rip and it is supposed to be a pain reliever too. I would just put a thin layer of that over my rip (after it was done bleeding and after I poured hydrogen peroxide on it to clean it) and then put chalk over it and get back on the bar.
http://www.ten-o.com/Handebalm,1141.html?b=d*235

I used tea bags to actually heal the rips. Tape hot tea bags to your rips and then put socks on and keep it on over night. You will have tea stains on your hands for a while but it dries out the rips and makes it like new for the next day!
Thanks I will look into it.

I posted this on another thread just today - http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/hand-rips.48221/#post-330914.

Treatment of Rips (Wonds) on the Gymnasts Hands, by Dr. Larry Nassaar, USAG National Medical Staff:
https://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/1995/8/rips.pdf

When the wound is healed enough to work on Bars, the wound must be covered. I have my gymnasts use the Second Skin squares and then apply tape and "vet wrap" or Johnson & Johnson Elastikon over it. The grip goes on top. This has worked for us.

Out of ordinary situations require out of ordinary solutions: I did have a gymnast who tore a big hunk of callous from her hands during warm-up at Region Championships. We used tissue glue, surgical glue called Nexeban (sp?) to reattach the callous. It protected the wound for the 1 routine. That was the purpose. It did hurt, but the gymnast championed her routine and placed 2nd. The pad sluffed of and we applied DuoDERM and within 96 hours she had a healed hand good for lots more bars.

Best, SBG -

Last edited:
Out of ordinary situations require out of ordinary solutions: I did have a gymnast who tore a big hunk of callous from her hands during warm-up at Region Championships. We used tissue glue, surgical glue called Nexeban (sp?) to reattach the callous. It protected the wound for the 1 routine. That was the purpose. It did hurt, but the gymnast championed her routine and placed 2nd. The pad sluffed of and we applied DuoDERM and within 96 hours she had a healed hand good for lots more bars.

Best, SBG -
Thanks, I think I'm partly thinking about the out-of-ordinary situations. Ds got a big blister right before regionals. So we opened it up, as we knew it would rip the second he touched the equipment in warm-ups. It's times like that that I wondered if the liquid bandage would help. He just taped it and said it didn't bother him during competition, though it hurt the rest if the weekend. Glad he could shut it out when it mattered.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back