MAG body types

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

gymbeam

Proud Parent
i have up until now only limited my discussions to women's gymnastics, but in december i plan to enroll my 5- year-old boy in a rec. class at the gym where my 9-year-old daughter competes and it brought a question to my mind...his build is completely different from my daughter. he is *solid* (perhaps even just a smidge chunky).

i am curious to know if boys are judged by body shape at a young age like the girls seem to be. there are only about 10 young boys at my daughter's gym who are on team and they are very lanky. is that the typical presentation of young boys until they reach puberty? or is there any room for prepubescent boys with a little more "meat on their bones"?

I don't think it matters as much. I think each body type has strengths and weakness with the men. You see all types. D's team has lanky, skinny, stocky, solid, etc. and they each have their good points.

Good luck to your DS!! Can't wait to hear how he likes it.

In my limited experience, body shape or type isn't as big of a deal for the boys. I've seen great routines from boys with both lanky and solid bodies. Strength to body weight ratio is more important if his goal is to compete, but in L4 I saw several boys who were more than a little pudgy. For a 5 year old starting a rec class, though, I definitely wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully he'll just be having fun!

I've heard the same as skschlag, that each event favours a different body type. From Blairbob, maybe? Sorry if I'm wrong :)

In our gym, we have tall and skinny down to short and chunky. They're all struggling with the same double leg circles ;)

I don't think boys are judged as much by body type. Again, I could have rose-coloured glasses. Great topic, thank you!

great to hear this! he is a coordinated and strong little guy. he's doing handstands and cartwheels (not exactly gracefully, though) and loves doing stunts on his bike and skateboard so i am looking forward to seeing how he takes to gym.

I agree - each body type comes with its own benefits and drawbacks. We have a fabulous little boy on our team that sounds like yours - a solid little brick covered in a smidge of boyish chub. He is particularly good at the tumbling and vault. And he is starting to lose his chub. Sounds like your little guy will be perfect.

It's funny you mention about the 'lanky' boys. Now that I know most of the moms with boys on the team, most of them with the lanky kids confess that their motivation for starting their sons in gym was NOT because they thought their body type would give them some advantage, but because they were naturally skinnier/weaker/floppier/less coordinated than the average kid, and so felt discouraged in other sports (like soccer), and they thought gymnastics would help them to build strength and coordination.

And of course they were right :) I have now been around just long enough to see some boys who couldn't do a single pull-up and tripped over their own two feet running to the vault, now blossoming into 6-packed, mushroom-circling, handstand-walking machines who are winning medals at states. And their moms and dads are dripping with pride :)

ETA: Not to imply every lanky/long-limbed kid is weaker or less coordinated of course. Just noting this trend in our gym, and how the differences in body type out of the gate aren't limiting the boys I have seen.

My kid is a string bean. He was the first to get his inlocates and dislocates on rings. He'll be the last to get his back lever hold (he may actually finally have it now). I think the compact guys who have the power one would associate with that look tend to do well on the strength elements on rings, and all else being equal, on floor and vault.

My older boy is short and strong, although not stocky. My younger long(for gym that is - I think he's average height for age) and skinny. Older boy is a fantastic vaulter (doing FHS-FT vaults now in practices, was a L5 last year), and has tons of power on floor, and younger has always learned PBs and PH easier than older....stalder presses, etc are easier for the lean one. I will say that as the boys get further along in this there seem to be fewer truely tall boys - DS the 14 year old is 10% height for age and one of the taller gymnasts we run into:). I think that part is similar to girls at higher levels. Perhaps related to kids being siphoned off to other sports by then. Lots of long lean boys in the lower levels - although the best form "seems" to be in the compact body types even there - ON AVERAGE....

No other sport I know of will give a boy the strength they get from this, though....no matter what they do later

i have up until now only limited my discussions to women's gymnastics, but in december i plan to enroll my 5- year-old boy in a rec. class at the gym where my 9-year-old daughter competes and it brought a question to my mind...his build is completely different from my daughter. he is *solid* (perhaps even just a smidge chunky).

i am curious to know if boys are judged by body shape at a young age like the girls seem to be. there are only about 10 young boys at my daughter's gym who are on team and they are very lanky. is that the typical presentation of young boys until they reach puberty? or is there any room for prepubescent boys with a little more "meat on their bones"?

no they are not. and the girls are not judged by that either. when the body is developing, certain body types struggle with certain gymnastics skills which cause a deduction.

Certain body types favor events but at a rec or compulsory level there is no need to fret.

Nothing exercise and a reasonable diet can't remedy unless there is something bizarre going that requires medical attention.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back