Parents Any other parents that work alternate hours /off shifts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OrangeArt

Proud Parent
I'm wondering how others balance working off hours/days/shifts, with practices or meets.

For me, I work 3/4 weekends per month, 12 hour nights, so practices aren't a challenge. But I'm looking at our new meet schedule, and 75% of the meets are on my work weekends. And it's hard trying to think about getting coverage because I won't know which session/day I need to be off.

This is my daughter's first year of lv4, which obviously comes with a full meet schedule. Last year she was a lvl2, and they only had 2 meets. Just wondering if any one can commiserate... :(

My brother is "our driver" ... and he works nights. He USUALLY has weekends off , but asks for personal days for 2-4 meets a season (in case we want to get a hotel or just to use the days up - they are use it or lose it).
His sleep schedule is: Get home around 8am... in bed by 10 am... up around 2 - 230pm... gym (as of today... including drive time) 4pm-730pm... back in bed by 8 pm and up by 10pm. Before today, gym was 430 or 5pm-8pm... and he would have trouble sleeping.

I work 3 overnight 12s a week. I work every other Friday/Saturday night. As soon as our meet schedule comes out, I will request off the entire weekend if any meets scheduled on my scheduled work nights. We get our schedule the first week in September for our meets that take place from December to early April. Last year, 3 of our 7 meets were on weekends I was scheduled to work. I just made sure to request the whole weekend or found someone to trade with as soon as possible (5 or 6 month I advance).

I work every third weekend. Fortunately, we self schedule and most everyone is pretty accommodating. It usually isn't hard to switch around. We also have a lot of people who work as needed. Since we self-schedule, I have tons of vacation saved up. If I can't get someone to switch with me. I can get an as needed person to work for me and use vacation hours. I have only missed 2 meets so far.

I will be missing her first home meet this year due to a conference. I can't switch that one around. :(

Thanks for the replies :) I work a weekend program, so I can't afford to be off any more than necessary, since it's a premium rate in exchange for only the 2 days . We don't get PTO, and aren't allowed to ask for time off more than once per year. Since no one else works 12s except for the nurses that work when I do, it's really hard to find people to cover. I've got the first three meets covered, unless we're unlucky enough to get a Sunday evening session. Then Ill have to do some rearranging at the last minute!

I feel ya there. I work from 3pm to 11pm and as I looked at the meet schedule its going to be hard for me too, as most of the days I do not have off ( I work ALOT of weekends). Most of the time its only me and one other person at work so its not like I can just take a PTO, but have to try to get someone to cover for me ( but Im only allowed to do that twice a month---grrrr). I dont want to miss any of her meets, but I just might have to. It sucks, but thankfully my husband or my parents will be able to take her if I cant go. What I dont understand is why, since we pay for the meet so many months in advance, cant they get the meet schedule out any sooner?! I mean, once you have set a due date for the payment, and you have them all in and make sure any checks clear (a week at best), make the meet schedule and distribute them! You already have how many girls will be in each level, so it shouldnt be too hard to decide what day and time to have them compete! I know theres probably alot more to it than that, but it would help out a great many parents to get that schedule like a month or so in advanced to make sure you have coverage at work. theres my 2 cents on that subject lol.

I am a physician so I definitely do not have a typical weekday 9-5 job. I try to work around her meet schedule as much as possible, however, that just isn't always possible so I have missed meets. When she was younger, and more fragile, this was more of an issue. Now we're at a point where she loves me to attend but understands that I have to work at times and, whether I'm actually cheering her on in person or not, I'll always be one of her biggest fans.

Thanks, I really hope I don't have to miss any... Her dad is not the most supportive of her gymnastics (thinks it's too dangerous and is making her too muscular *eyeroll*), nor is he very punctual... I have visions of them showing up at 9 am for an 8am Sunday session, not to mention the football thing. I'd probably try to get her a carpool option first!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back