Self taught back-handspring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so as some of you might know I was recently forced to quit because of the high amounts of $$$$ :( But I REALLY want my BHS!!!! Are there any gymnasts out there who have taught themselves how to do it? PLEASE HELP!! I really want to get it :)

My BHS was self taught. Try on trampoline, then once you get it on there you can try on a mat or something. I just used my mattress, lol. I never got hurt.

Bad idea but if you really want it I guess you could try it on a trampoline untill you get it. Ask your parents are someone stronger than your friends to put there Hand underneath your back(show them a video on spotting back handsprings) and they should get the idea. But all of that is a pretty bad idea and I would advise against it. Another way was go to an open gym they are generally very cheap and a coach will defiantly work with you and spot you a bit for your bhs

The odds of learning a bhs that looks and works the right way is very, very slight. The odds of injury while teaching one to yourself is very high.

Coaches and instructors exist for a good reason........

My BHS is fine and I am self taught (in my BHS) and I never got injured. Guess I dont really know the possibility of getting injured from it since I never got hurt and I never witnessed it. Oh well.

I taught myself to do a back handspring and back tuck. I'm not sure how I did it just chucked it really. I also taught myself a standing back tuck. I would also like to add I have never hurt myself and they are all very nicely shaped and tight!

I don't think teaching yourself a skill that requires you to be upside down, relying on your arms and momentum to prevent you from ending up in a wheelchair, is the best idea. I get where you're coming from though. I wanted to get my BHS so bad a couple of years ago and there were a lot of people online saying "just get a matress and try". I'm not saying it's impossible to self-teach. It just isn't the safest thing and most coaches will cringe just thinking about it.

At the very least get someone (bigger than you) to spot you on your back and one thigh. Watch Youtube videos on the correct spotting, form and on skill progression. But really, you should look for an open gym in your area and let a certified coach teach you. Please don't hurt yourself!

Had a bad spotting experience (as in being dropped on my head) so I gave them up. Got told I would have to start coaching a tumbling class so taught myself how to do them via a pool and doing them over a barrel eventually progressing to doing them over small barrels that I wouldn't actually touch as I did them.

Already knew the theory and drills as I had been a rec coach for a few years and to regional congress.

One crucial skill I worked was seat drop to handspring as I could already do seat drop to back whip and a standing back. Didn't work it from a back drop because we weren't allowed to do back drops at the rec gym (yes, that's dumb).

Actually I would like to go to an open gym but at our open gym the coaches aren't allowed to spot on on skills that we can't already do alone :( which doesn't make sense to me at all

I just used my mattress from my bed. Although I wouldnt recommend this as it wears out the mattress very quickly. By the time I got it, my mattress was so worn out if I did a BHS there it would be like doing it on the floor, because the springs were so worn out. But it worked for me. But yeah that is how I learned. My ROBHS was pretty easy to get after I got a standing BHS.

I just used my mattress from my bed. Although I wouldnt recommend this as it wears out the mattress very quickly. By the time I got it, my mattress was so worn out if I did a BHS there it would be like doing it on the floor, because the springs were so worn out. But it worked for me. But yeah that is how I learned. My ROBHS was pretty easy to get after I got a standing BHS.
Thanks!

Can you go to a different open gym where they don't know you? They are likely to have a different policy on spotting and you can explain to one of the coaches about your situation. I think most would probably rather spot you than see you fall on your head!

If you can't get someone to spot you I'd STILL advise doing it at open gym, just use lots of drills like doing it over a barrel thingy millions of times and then reduce the size of it like BlairBob said (even if you don't touch it it's good to have it there in case you collapse!) and try on trampoline.

Good luck...

Can you go to a different open gym where they don't know you? They are likely to have a different policy on spotting and you can explain to one of the coaches about your situation. I think most would probably rather spot you than see you fall on your head!

If you can't get someone to spot you I'd STILL advise doing it at open gym, just use lots of drills like doing it over a barrel thingy millions of times and then reduce the size of it like BlairBob said (even if you don't touch it it's good to have it there in case you collapse!) and try on trampoline.

Good luck...
Thanks for the advice... I don't think I can do open gym though

Does your school have a gymnastics or cheerleading team if so join it and learn it there

I got my back tuck on tramp self taught. Not my back handspring, but still something. I had my BHS before I did it. It's not that hard if you just chuck it. LOL!

Lots of people self teach moves, but most of them do it really badly.
My BHS is fine and I am self taught (in my BHS) and I never got injured. Guess I dont really know the possibility of getting injured from it since I never got hurt and I never witnessed it. Oh well.
How do you push a BHS out further? I do standing BHS, and my hands end up 2-3 inches away from where my feet were at the beginning. How do you fix it? I've heard it causes back problems, does it really?
So yeah. That flic definitely sounds "fine".

I coach tramp and I've seen lots of kids who couldn't do front drop or back drop keen to show off their home-taught "flips". I've never seen one that was any good though, and plenty that were downright scary.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back