WAG L10 and elites?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What exactly is 'college gymnastics' ? I've heard a lot about it,but it's not something we do here in the UK

Many of our 4-year universities have athletic teams that compete with each other under rules established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The most well known sports in this category are (American) football and basketball. But there are many other sports including gymnastics (both men's and women's). The format and skill set is similar to USA Level 10, but the primary focus is to win as a team and not as individuals. After the regular season there are conference championships, and the top teams from each conference go on to a national championship meet.

Many of our 4-year universities have athletic teams that compete with each other under rules established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The most well known sports in this category are (American) football and basketball. But there are many other sports including gymnastics (both men's and women's). The format and skill set is similar to USA Level 10, but the primary focus is to win as a team and not as individuals. After the regular season there are conference championships, and the top teams from each conference go on to a national championship meet.

Thanks very much!

If an athlete's goal is NCAA do you think it helps her chances if she does a short stint at elite or even just qualifies elite? Does it help her "gymnastics resume"?

If an athlete's goal is NCAA do you think it helps her chances if she does a short stint at elite or even just qualifies elite? Does it help her "gymnastics resume"?

Yes because that's all the college coach sees ..."ooh she did elite"...not looking to see that she got a 48 at the qualifiers....

The US currently has 18 girls on the Sr and Jr National teams. They are the ELITE. Well besides Gabby Douglas, Aly Reisman, and McKayla Maroney. They could still be considered ELITE.

Last I remember there are about 200 girls training to be elite. Former national team members could probably be considered ELITE as well if they are still training.

There are many people who believe as you do that, these are the only "true elites". But this leaves out some pretty special athletes. Another view would be to count the 13 seniors and 35 juniors who competed at nationals as the only current elites. That would give 48 elite gymnasts for women's, but of course doesn't include injured gymnasts (Bailey Key, Rachel Gowey, Lexie Preissman, etc) or the 3 2012 Olympians who say there are going to compete. So depending on how exclusive a club you consider elite, there are between 13- @ 50. Some people don't consider junior elites "real elites" until they score the senior elite qualifying score.

I believe the issue is how many girls qualified under USAGym standards as elite this year. Not what any one of us individually "considers" an "elite" gymnast to be. And that number is higher than 50. It just is.

I believe the issue is how many girls qualified under USAGym standards as elite this year. Not what any one of us individually "considers" an "elite" gymnast to be. And that number is higher than 50. It just is.
Of course there is a distinction between national elites and international elites and also between juniors and seniors. But they are all technically elite gymnasts.

I didn't know there was a difference between national and international elites. Can someone please explain this? The junior/senior is just an age thing, right?

Of course there is a distinction between national elites and international elites and also between juniors and seniors. But they are all technically elite gymnasts.

I agree with you. A gymnast is an Elite when they meet the qualifying score. Who am I to question what USAG says? But there's a large group of people who don't think these "other" girls are real elites. But for NCAA recruiting it does show they've achieved a status above level 10.

And then there's the HOPES gymnasts who aren't elite but some of which will become elite. USAG changed the HOPES testing dates so they overlap with the JO season. I understand this was done to minimize the number of kids competing JO and then competing HOPES. But I'm not sure that relates to NCAA recruiting. Did anyone see any college coaches watching the HOPES session of the Secret?

I agree with you. A gymnast is an Elite when they meet the qualifying score. Who am I to question what USAG says? But there's a large group of people who don't think these "other" girls are real elites.
Right. And I understand where they are coming from on that. There is obviously a difference between a girl who qualifies national elite but does not make it to nationals and a girl who not only competes at nationals but makes the national team. And there is a difference too between girls on the national team who get selected for worlds and girls on the national team who never get selected for worlds. But, if someone asks the actual number of elites it includes whoever USAG considers elite that year. Thats all I am saying.

There are girls who qualify for elite but never make it to the national team or even championships.

There are many people who believe as you do that, these are the only "true elites"

Yes, that was what I was told by my mentor/boss at one gym. Ukranian medalist. I talked to him about girls training on the elite circuit and he said you are on the national team or you're not.

I'd still count the girls who were formerly on the national team and sat out during a year like McKayla, Douglass, Aly, etc.

I didn't know there was a difference between national and international elites. Can someone please explain this? The junior/senior is just an age thing, right?
When you first qualify as elite you are considered national elite. Then you are eligible to compete at an elite meet and can qualify to international elite by score.

When you first qualify as elite you are considered national elite. Then you are eligible to compete at an elite meet and can qualify to international elite by score.

I didn't think there was the distinction of national/international anymore...when you qualify with your "elite score' (say 53 for Srs) , you're elite, period.....whether you get an assignment here or internationally is another story..

I didn't think there was the distinction of national/international anymore...when you qualify with your "elite score' (say 53 for Srs) , you're elite, period.....whether you get an assignment here or internationally is another story..
Yes, you may very well be right. I think they did do away with that distinction. But there is still the same difference between people who qualify elite at an elite qualifier and people who score well enough in elite competition to go onto nationals. Even so -- Not everyone who goes to nationals will make it to the national team and actually get an international assignment. And not everyone who gets an international assignment will ever make it to worlds. The stages and levels are still the same -- even if they do not use the term "national elite" v.s. "international elite." If you see what mean. Thats why some people say that not every "elite" is a "real elite" I think they are referring mostly to what used to be the national v.s. international elite distinction.

Here is my take - even the "lower level" elites are still performing above the average L10, at least at the senior level, right? If they truly are at the next level, they should be given that distinction. Obviously there are different caliber of elites, just like the different caliber of gymnasts in the JO system. But they should be recognized as being able to compete beyond JO.

Here is my take - even the "lower level" elites are still performing above the average L10, at least at the senior level, right? If they truly are at the next level, they should be given that distinction. Obviously there are different caliber of elites, just like the different caliber of gymnasts in the JO system. But they should be recognized as being able to compete beyond JO.

Not always...there are some "elites" that should have stayed 10s and try chucking skills to say they are elite and it just isn't safe...

I agree with you completely. There is a huge gulf between level 10 and elite. (Its not anything like going from one JO level to the next) As someone who never qualified for elite, I can say that any girl that does, deserves that recognition.

The thing with being "elite" is that they need to get their score every year versus once you get to say Level 10, you are considered level 10 without a renewal of score.

I agree with you. A gymnast is an Elite when they meet the qualifying score. Who am I to question what USAG says? But there's a large group of people who don't think these "other" girls are real elites. But for NCAA recruiting it does show they've achieved a status above level 10.

And then there's the HOPES gymnasts who aren't elite but some of which will become elite. USAG changed the HOPES testing dates so they overlap with the JO season. I understand this was done to minimize the number of kids competing JO and then competing HOPES. But I'm not sure that relates to NCAA recruiting. Did anyone see any college coaches watching the HOPES session of the Secret?

==
Yes, several

=
Yes, Elite is no joke and each qualifier deserves that distinction, no matter how slim the margin.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back