Judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SXS524

Coach
Gymnast
Any judges out there?
I'm interested in doing a Women's Artistic Club Judging course- I thought it may be really useful for preparing for club grades next year? Anyone been on the club judging course? If so how hard is it? Do you need much judging experience to have a chance of passing?

not been myself, but the old gym wanted to send me, apparently it was reasonably straight forward, a load of our rec coaches have just done it.

Ah that's good to hear. I have passed a floor and vault judging course this year (1 day course) and passed a trampolining judging course years ago but haven't judged at any comps yet. Sounds like it would be OK but HC is dubious (club would pay for the course)

I did club judge for the last 4 cycles and regional this cycle. Assuming club hasn't changed too much, it's not too bad.

The first one I ever did was funny for me. I really don't know how I passed! It was still the perfect 10 system. I had been coaching for 1 year and had done my assistant club coach course recently. I was coaching rec and was just getting into development. Basically I knew next to nothing.
Day one of the course got me boggled straight away - talk of A's B's and C's, element group requirements, symbols instead of names...I was cross eyed!
I would guess that with some floor and vault experience you would be ok! It would definitely help to get a copy of the code of points and familiarise yourself with rules.
The course is quite fast paced so it's also important to practice!
I really enjoy judging and as difficult as I found it in the beginning, I'm so glad I did it!

Thanks for the reply @marie83 ! That sounds reassuring :) I've done my level 2 WA coaching course and have been coaching for about 5 years now, mainly rec, but I'm a bit of a gym geek so not unfamiliar with the code. I struggled a bit on the floor and vault course at first but got better with practice, I think I read that with the club judge practical exam you only need to do the E score, not the D score too? So wouldn't have to worry about Composition Requirements which would make it easier! And you need 60% to pass, so not too bad. Hopefully I can persuade HC that I'd have a good chance of passing!

Would you say its very useful as a coach entering gymnasts for club grades?

Oh it definitely sounds like you would have more than a good shot at passing and it's a bonus for the club too to have an extra judge to rely on!

Being a judge definitely helps with entering comps at all levels and grades.

Any judges out there?
I'm interested in doing a Women's Artistic Club Judging course- I thought it may be really useful for preparing for club grades next year? Anyone been on the club judging course? If so how hard is it? Do you need much judging experience to have a chance of passing?

I qualified as a club level judge earlier this year. I expected the course to be harder than it was, although I would recommend a bit of revision if you want to pass the exam well. I actually enjoyed the judging course a bit more than my coaching course! It certainly has helped me as a gymnast and as a coach to understand 'why' we do things the way we do them.

For example, I didn't know that every time a gymnast stops in their bar routine and has to cast to get it going again, you lose 0.5! I also didn't know until before that that jumping from the low bar to the high bar on bars (in other words, a squat on), costs you 0.5 too - that's an incentive to learn to do a mo shoot!

On the course I did there were lots of young people - even one 14 year old! There were also many parents who had no gymnastics experience apart from that their children do gymnastics - some of the parents did struggle, but everyone passed the exam!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back