WAG Dyslexia....should I tell DD's coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Eat healthy! No chemicals, no hydrogenated oil, no MSG! These rules will eliminate about 95% of everything in a grocery store. Be aware MSG and hydrogenated oil go by many different names. Check the labels! Take vitamins, make sure you get enough B vitamins etc. This has helped many people a great deal!

Eat healthy! No chemicals, no hydrogenated oil, no MSG! These rules will eliminate about 95% of everything in a grocery store. Be aware MSG and hydrogenated oil go by many different names. Check the labels! Take vitamins, make sure you get enough B vitamins etc. This has helped many people a great deal!

The original poster is in the UK

95% of the stuff in the supermarkets here DONT contain MSG and hydrogenated fats, and not to be a pedant, well okay I am, but as a science graduate I would point out that everything is made of chemicals.

I agree a healthy diet is important, and it is good to avoid processed foods, but as far as I am aware there is no dietary link between food and dyslexia.

My gymnast has dyslexia, is seven and starting level 3, and I haven't said anything to coaches yet. So far, things haven't gotten too complicated yet for her so I've decided to not say anything until I see it interfering with her gymnastics. In fact,gymnastics has helped her feel good about herself when she struggles so much in school.But I may have to say something as she gets farther along.

Really, are you a doctor?

As a coach, I get preturbed when parents don't tell me about conditions like these and I have to confront them.

Especially as I usually have to go through fiery loops and banging my head to get through them. And wondering wth is wrong with myself or the kid.

I understand why parents keep coaches out of the loop but it still pisses me off to no end. Don't waste my time or deep down inside I will will want to Uchimata you to the floor.

Especially if it's something obvious and there is denial involved. While some coaches can be clueless, I am not.

Really, are you a doctor?
No I made no claim to be so. One does not have to be a doctor to read scientific research. I didn't say it would cure it, I said this has helped people with these issues before, which is very much true. Besides scientific research papers there are personal accounts from people who say this has helped. They could be lying, but why would they anyway?

A person can either try this or not, it's their choice, but eating healthy certainly will not hurt anybody!

By the way, my spouse IS almost done with a quantitative bioscience PhD program and will be the first to tell you doctors are just people and how crazy it is that people listen to almost anything "doctors" or "scientists" say but won't listen to somebody without that degree even if they have done years of study and research on a subject. Even if I were a doctor, you shouldn't take what I say for granted.

When one presents something different than what people are used to, it is common for people to react incredulously and even with scoffing even when they have no idea whether it's true or not.

Why the cynicism? Is there a purpose or is it just fun? Think about it.

My spouse looks forward to soon answering the ever sarcastic "oh really???? are YOU a doctor?" with "Yes! Actually I am, but doesn't it alarm YOU that 1 week ago before I officially became one you wouldn't have given a thought to anything I'm saying while now you're ready to take me seriously even though there is no magical and sudden change in my qualifications, knowledge, intelligence or research?"

I am looking forward to hearing people explain that one. Being a doctor doesn't give one magical powers to know everything. "Scientists say...", or "doctors say..." is so overused it makes us both sick and is most often just used as a marketing ploy for various products.

My spouse looks forward to soon answering the ever sarcastic "oh really???? are YOU a doctor?" with "Yes! Actually I am, but doesn't it alarm YOU that 1 week ago before I officially became one you wouldn't have given a thought to anything I'm saying while now you're ready to take me seriously even though there is no magical and sudden change in my qualifications, knowledge, intelligence or research?"

I am looking forward to hearing people explain that one.
I expect they'll be listening to what he has to say because he will have studied very hard and worked to develop an area of expertise. It isn't the day you get the degree that counts, it is the years of training that go before it.

How does this answer the OP's question? She wanted to know if she should talk to the coach. How do you know what she does or doesn't feed her child? Giving blanket advice to someone who is dealing with a child with any sort of a disability is usually less helpful than you might think. It comes of as judgemtnal and preachy, and like you are an expert, which you a state that you are not. Parents usually try everything for their kids, there are not quick fixes.

As a coach, I find that the more I know about kids, the better I can coach them. This applies to learning disabilities, physical problems or past injuries, health issues, and sometimes even things going on at home.

For example, I currently coach an athlete that has a verbal processing disorder. Knowing that, I no longer assume that she "wasn't listening," give her clear, simple instructions, and plan extra time for teaching routines, knowing that she needs a lot of visual instruction as well as auditory instruction.

No I made no claim to be so. One does not have to be a doctor to read scientific research. I didn't say it would cure it, I said this has helped people with these issues before, which is very much true. Besides scientific research papers there are personal accounts from people who say this has helped. They could be lying, but why would they anyway?

A person can either try this or not, it's their choice, but eating healthy certainly will not hurt anybody!

By the way, my spouse IS almost done with a quantitative bioscience PhD program and will be the first to tell you doctors are just people and how crazy it is that people listen to almost anything "doctors" or "scientists" say but won't listen to somebody without that degree even if they have done years of study and research on a subject. Even if I were a doctor, you shouldn't take what I say for granted.

When one presents something different than what people are used to, it is common for people to react incredulously and even with scoffing even when they have no idea whether it's true or not.

Why the cynicism? Is there a purpose or is it just fun? Think about it.

I am looking forward to hearing people explain that one. Being a doctor doesn't give one magical powers to know everything. "Scientists say...", or "doctors say..." is so overused it makes us both sick and is most often just used as a marketing ploy for various products.

Must be Stretch's big sister.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back