Coaches Strength for straight back/front/barani?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I don't get a lot of conditioning at any of my training sessions (read I dont get any unless I decide to do it myself) because they are generally all about cramming the skills into limited time on the trampolines.

I used to be able to do a pretty straight straightback (layout) but that was a while ago and now I tend to always go around arched, using my head and shoulders rather than hips to generate a lot of rotation. When I go for straight front and straight barani they are dished at best and piked at worst. One of my coaches recently said that she thinks this is because I'm not strong enough to do these moves.

I'm not so sure about that claim, but I'm also unsure about what I can do to build up the strength it would require for these specific skills. I don't have issues with generating rotation in other skills (as long as they aren't straight!) and I'm not exactly weak, but I guess I'm just not sure what I should be working on specifically. Any ideas??

Lots of abs, v-sits, leg lifts. Supermans where you lay on your stomach with something to put your toes under and lift your chest off the ground using your back muscles. Grab onto a vault or something similar a large block maybe? And lay on your stomach with yor hips hanging off and lift your heels as high as you can (think front 3/4 shape) Planks are also really good, stomach facing floor and pick one hand up and do each side in a side plank.. And get 2 blocks put one under your shoulders the other under your heels and lift your butt into a tight straight shape and hold. You can also do inverted situps with a friends off the trampoline. Hope some of that helps.

Ability to hold a straight shape once you're in the air has very little to do with strength.

More likely, the problem is with the takeoff.

@Geoffrey Taucer That is really what I thought - the issue I have is not really with strength (I think) but with technique. Are you saying that doing extra conditioning to 'help' with these skills will do nothing more than pacify my coach?

Depends on what sort of strength. Strength won't help you stay tight in the air, but it WILL help you get a stronger takeoff, which makes it easier to keep a good position in the air.

I also feel this is not a strength issue. If you have the strength to do it in a dish or piked position, then you have the strength to do it in a straight position.

I would utilise the trampoline a lot here, if my gymnasts have these sort of difficulties we practice lots of layouts on trampoline to work the body shape. You have the air time and the ease of the bounce to perfect it.

If you posted a video of yourself doing it we may me able to give you a good idea of where you are going wrong.

I wouldn't say strength like she needs to lift a car off a kid :D But rather tightness. That is what my drills are for. You do need a strong core and the ability to squeeze! If you don't it will be arched or too hollow constantly. Of course you also need to drive your feet over your head and keep your chest up but you also need to squeeze to make that happen too.

I wouldn't say strength like she needs to lift a car off a kid :D But rather tightness. That is what my drills are for. You do need a strong core and the ability to squeeze! If you don't it will be arched or too hollow constantly. Of course you also need to drive your feet over your head and keep your chest up but you also need to squeeze to make that happen too.

I half-agree. Or rather, I agree that you have to be able to stay tight in the air; however, it has consistently been my experience that when kids can't hold a layout shape, it's because they feel like they don't have enough height or rotation to complete the skill, which forces them to compromise the straight body position in order to speed up their rotation.

The straighter the body position, the slower the flip. If you don't have enough enough height and rotation to complete the skill in a straight body, then the lack of tightness is the symptom, not the problem.

Maybe go back to basics and build back up from there concentrating on looking forwards on take-off, jumping straight up and driving your hips to generate rotation.

So flat backs, then hip lifts then straight back. Look forwards, watch your body rise in front of you on the take-off. On the straight back hold straight as long as you can. If you need to pike it in once you see the bed, if you don't have enough rotation, but focus on getting the take-off right.

For forwards start with straight front drop. Maybe do the first one from a push start so you are really forced to jump up into it and not drop your shoulders. Then straight front drop as high as you can. Then 3/4 front with head up on take-off and driving your heels for rotation. Then straight front/barani.

It might also help to have someone stand just past the end deck and try to maintain eye contact as long as possible on take-off. Holding eye contact with a person seems to be much more effective than looking at an inanimate fixed point.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back