Off Topic Rehab Stinks... Even Worse the 2nd time around!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, My shoulder was all better... finished rehab and was pain free for almost a month. Was even back to spotting BWO and standing BHS.

So, I went out to throw the football around on Friday (a week ago) and ...
shooting pain...
trip to urgent care...
sling ice, and steroids prescribed...
Sling sent shooting pains from my elbow up to my shoulder (which was already killing me)...
Steroids made me super emo...
Next day, new urgent care...
Lose the sling, try heat, muscle relaxer and anti-inflamatories...
Trip to pharmacy to fill scripts... got muscle relaxer, but anti-inflamatory has to be pre-authorized... urgent care wouldn't deal with it or give me anything else...
All the meds STILL not helping...
Visit to my doc...
Back to therapy...
GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you have to go through that. :( But hopefully you'll be back to normal activity soon :)

The first time, it was a combo that included spotting back walkovers and YG kept "forgetting" that one leg was supposed to stay on the ground until her hands touched... and hurling herself at me sideways (at home) so I had to catch her with my left arm or she might get hurt... and a couple other things, lol.

I have always been one to get hurt in stupid ways- it's a talent, lol.

Had to take a week off of rehab for a trip to Florida for YMCA Nationals... the shoulder handled it pretty good... hotel beds are horrible... I probably pushed a little too hard in one of the pools (playing with Nerf Footballs), but I wouldn't give up the memories for anything! I did all of my stretching on the road though, so I hope I can get right back into it and get it better.

If all goes well, I only have 1 week left. Then I get a conditional release from PT pending a recheck by my ortho. If he agrees, I will be done til I am stupid again ;).
All of this to avoid surgery - because I HATE surgeries

It's MOSTLY better. I did get released from PT after 2 weeks... Still not SUPPOSED to do ANY spotting... so I just spot OG and YG :p - What the doctor don't know wont hurt me.
And my hatred of surgeries was confirmed... the day after I was released from PT... had a "minor" scheduled procedure (30 minutes) - but they had to knock me out and intubate me due to sleep apnea... throat swelled shut on them... I woke up unable to breathe... major drama... one more allergy to add to the list... throat still bothered me 10 days later... went to the ER... doc was SURE it couldn't be an allergic reaction "because they can't last longer than 7 days" and it MUST be a heart attack. Too bad all the tests came back NORMAL ... and I have never seen a heart attack victim with a blood pressure of 123/68. Spent 5 hours in the ER for him to finally realize I might be right - and he ordered me to follow up with an ENT in 1-2 days ... they couldn't get me in for a week. Within 3 minutes of being in the room with the Doc, he sprayed something up my nose to numb it so he could run a scope up the nose and to my throat (he saw nothing... I couldn't breathe well and it hurt). He said he was going to treat me for reflux - which I don't have. I got home and my throat was now VISIBLY swollen on the outside the same place that I had the "choking" pain inside (but ALL Doctors had said there was NOTHING there... "nothing" doesn't swell... there has to be "something" to swell). The next day, when I could breathe a little easier (but still swollen), I called the ENT office to schedule my followup (which I missed today). I also asked what he had sprayed up my nose. The receptionist had my record up on the computer and went to ask the nurse... came back and said "It was just lidocaine... WHICH I SEE THAT YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO!" :mad:
Normally, lido allergy isn't too bad - LOCALIZED swelling for up to 6 months... too bad he put it into my RESPIRATORY system and an already irritated throat :(.
I am a good sport about it all. :rolleyes: Told my family doc that I am having NO MORE surgeries NO MATTER WHAT for the next year at least. She offered to bubble wrap me ;) or create a shirt with my list of allergies and conditions to wear for all appointments :D. She wants me to stay safe.

I am content being a bench coach until next July - then we MAY let me spot again for real :) if my body holds up :oops:.

So they used something they knew you were allergic to? Or they didn't know?

So they used something they knew you were allergic to? Or they didn't know?
Well... It has been in my medical records at that clinic (My allergist is part of the clinic... along with orthopedist and ophthalmologist and pulmonologist)... plus, that day, I filled out an information sheet for the ENT and listed it in the allergies: Latex, "Caine" anesthetics, Aspirin, Keflex, etc.

So... he SHOULD have known. He had my info sheet on the top of his clipboard and it was on the computer... Bright red allergy warning.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back