WAG Hypomobility/ Can't straighten legs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Justmehere

Gymnast
Hi, I have read a lot of threads about not being able to straighten legs and that there is nothing you can do, if it is Hypomobility. I read that it causes powerful tumbling, but the disadvantage is it makes it easy to dislocate your knees.

I am 18 haven't started gymnastics yet, but will be soon. I have 1 bad knee. I dislocated it the 1st time sliding in softball. That was 5 yeas ago. I have dislocated my knee 12 times in the last 5 years. I go to the chiropractor after every time to make sure everything is fine. Last time it happened it he did an. X ray to see if he can find the underlying cause, he said everything is fine. Just a weak ligament. I am attaching some pictures to see if you guys can helps out does this look like hypo mobility.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1409341999.356509.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1409342015.640946.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1409342028.289617.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1409342036.806975.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1409342051.058235.jpg

do you mean hyper-mobility ?

if so then then you don't have it - in hypermobility the joint goes through straight and out the other side so for knees, your knee would be on the floor and your heel could be lifted .

There is a thread here somewhere where my dd shows her arms, I will try to find it

do you mean hyper-mobility ?

if so then then you don't have it - in hypermobility the joint goes through straight and out the other side so for knees, your knee would be on the floor and your heel could be lifted .

There is a thread here somewhere where my dd shows her arms, I will try to find it

No I do mean Hypomobility it is the exact opposite of hyper mobility

ah, there used to be a skill required here where you push your legs flat on the floor and lift your heels, my niece was unable to do it, even if you pressed her knee down, the heel would not lift.

Sorry, only have experience with the other problem

I'm absolutly clueless concerning medical questions but I somehow fail to see how this would be prone to dislocation. I have the same thing in my knees and hypermobility in my elbows and those are the ones prone to injury.
Maybe someone can explain that, I would be interested too. Because while I have hard time not getting deducted for bent legs, they have never caused me any problems.

I'm absolutly clueless concerning medical questions but I somehow fail to see how this would be prone to dislocation. I have the same thing in my knees and hypermobility in my elbows and those are the ones prone to injury.
Maybe someone can explain that, I would be interested too. Because while I have hard time not getting deducted for bent legs, they have never caused me any problems.

Pretty much what I have read is it causes certain muscle/ ligaments to be weak because they are used to their fullest extent.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back