Changes to the WAG program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is a very good reason why the front salto was taken out of level 3. That is that there are laws restricting many coaches from teaching front salto's. At this stage gymnastics coaches have to have a special salto qualification to be allowed to coach salto's.

Under the new system, intermediate WAG coaches will be allowed to coach level 1-2, and they will not be permitted to coach salto's, these coaches can only coach IDP 1. Coaches must be intermediate bronze level to coach any skills that require flight and rotation.

For a kid to be able to do a front tuck to two crash mats in level 3, then they would at least need to be learning them on the trampoline by level 2.

@Aussie_coach, sorry to keep pestering you with all these questions! I notice in the document @COz linked to above, it shows some of the new foundation skills for NDP and IDP. One of them looks like a front salto. Is that just a draft of what some of the skills might be? Or is that going to be a foundation skill for both?

Only asking because I believe it is currently an IDP level 2 skill on floor and vault, and yet was - like you explained - taken out of NDP level 3 for the reasons you outlined. So...does this mean IDP girls will still have to learn it for IDP2...but NDP girls won't learn it until later? Sorry to focus on this one skill, but I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around how they plan to make it easier to cross over to IDP from NDP if the IDP girls are still learning skills NDP girls won't get a chance to learn until much later, iykwim? Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance :)

The coaching rules are different for NDP to IDP. An intermediate coach is allowed to coach up to NDP level 2, but only up to IDP level 1. They need an intermediate bronze coaching accreditation to coach IDP 2.

Yes, right now an IDP 2 kid does a front salto, where an NDP kid won't even be allowed to compete in until level 4 where it is a bonus skill on various apparatus.
But currently NDP 4 is considered to be the equivalent of IDP 2.

Under the new system this will change, international level 2 will not be doing a front salto vault. But the exact requirements have not been released yet as IDP will be updated later than the NDP program.

I think if you are wondering if your child can move into IDP your best bet is to forget about new programs/old programs etc. Just get the ideal skills test lists and the current IDP age ranges. If your child can do all the things required at idp 1, 2, 3 with good form and are within the age band (preferably in the middle of the band) then they probably could test in.
Whilst the idea of making the two programs more in line will make it easier to swap in the future, it won't make much difference.
IDP training is much more intense and without that training the kids in ndp will slip behind.
If you want your child to do IDP then the earlier the better.

Training hours are up to individual clubs. Club programs will no doubt be kept similar.
The kids will be assessed and put into the new ndp level that matches their skill level and train the appropriate number of hours. It may mean skipping a 'number', moving up a number, repeating a number, it doesn't matter what the number is, I'm sure all the coaches will put the ndp girls in the appropriate level for the skill level.
In general girls from current ndp are likely to move up a number or skip one, state stream move up a number. Would depend if you had all the bonuses in current ndp 4+.

Thanks OzZee

We are only in L2 this year, I was looking at the 'Skill Content" document on the GA website and considering if my daughter would then be graded as a L4 for next year as she can do a lot of the skills listed ....

Which then got me thinking that if the "new L4" is kind-of the "old L3" would they still need the extra hours to achieve those skills? Make sense?
At our gym we do L2 - 6hrs, L3 - 9.5hrs, L4 - 15.5hrs/week.

So where we are now, its a big jump from 6hrs to 15.5hrs training/week .... time, money, commitment, school/gym balance etc etc.

Just pondering really
Guess I just have to wait until the Club integrates the changes and lets us know!!!

I know at our club our NDP 2 girls will be going into level 4 for next year and they will be training between 10-12 hours.

ruby&jack, is that what L4 are doing this year - 10-12hrs?
I would be much more comfortable with that than 15.5hrs .....

That's what we were told at our club on Saturday. Our girls are currently doing 7.5 and our 3's do 10 hrs. l guess they dont need to go up the the current level 4 hours as technically with the changes they arent doing the same skills as the current level 4's. So somewhere inbetween is probably what they will aim for.

I don't know if I should start a new post for this but as stated earlier my DD has been scouted by an IDP stream club for the second time in 12 months. We are seriously considering it now as I feel it could be her last shot.. (bit of 'what if') my only concern, with the changes happening, if she was to go from NDP2 (training NEW level 4) to IDP 1 would she be worse off if she only lasted a short time in IDP.. I'm worried her skills will be less than her current training at her NDP club if we were to come back after say 12 months, if she/we decided it was too much.. I hope that makes sense.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back