Leaving a fantastic NDP Club for IDP..?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ruby&jack

Proud Parent
My daughter has been scouted again for IDP. This will be the second time in under 12 months.
The first time we decided that she was too young and the travel would be too much on all of us.
This time, the club is closer and she is a little older.... she is 7 & 1/2.

My question is... would you give your daughter the chance, even if it was for a short time to be in an IDP Club/Squad?
She is currently at a fantastic club who have had some amazing results in NDP levels.
I am worried if it was left for another 12 months that this would make her even more behind and lessen her chances at being invited again to IDP level. I am having such a tough time in trying to decide what is best for her, and although she wants it, I worry about to long hours (14-22 within the next 6 months).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think there are a couple of things you need to consider,

1. Is the IDP program a quality program? Do they have gymnasts moving through the levels to Junior and Senior or do all their gymnasts disappear between IDP 5 and 8 never to be seen at again.

2. Do they have a structured system for kids to return to NDP or do they all just quit when it gets too hard because they decide they don't like gym any more or they think they are now 'too good' for NDp

3. If your daughter really does have that much ability and is 'the one' are you prepared to let her go all the way, compromising schooling and the rest of the family's standard of life for her dream. If not is it really fair to dangle that dream/ opportunity in front of her.

If you are at an NDP club that is getting kids to National Championships on a regular basis and that is the path you realistically see for your daughter you are probably getting the quality of coaching in your program that you are in a lot of IDP programs. I think you are in Vic? Obviously there are exceptions like Waverley etc that are running an excellent program where you can see the success and outcomes at the end of the program so can see they know what they are doing and can get the kids out the over end.

I feel its certainly worth giving it a shot if she has been identified twice and obviously has a passion for the sport. You seem to be worried if you don't try it that you will regret it and won't allow her the opportunity, however if you do try it and decide its not for you then its only been of benefit to her gym. There are plenty of gymnasts in National Stream who have given it a shot and for various reasons have decided not to continue however remain in the sport with a stronger base. In-fact I rarely see younger gymnasts leave IDP and just quit due to the high standard in National keeping them in the sport.

I would go back to wherever you trialed first time as she obviously enjoyed her time and see what they offer. You might find that there are some other girls who are from the same area as you and can car pool. I know the VWHPC seem to have gymnasts from all over the state so I'm sure you would be able to get that assistance and support too.

At the end of the day and whatever you decide to do, it's an exciting feeling to know that your child is obviously noticed for her talent :)

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for your replies. We have decided to let her do a 3 month trail.
Yes, we are in Victoria. She was offered a position at HPC last year, which we turned down, given her age and distance from the club. This IDP club is closer to us (25-30 mins away) so we are going to give it a shot! We have spoken to her current club, who are more than happy to welcome her back if we decide it's all too much for her during the 3 month trail! Fingers crossed she enjoys it and thrives on the experience! Time will tell! Thanks again! :)

I think you should do it because at her age she probably wont get another chance. We could never go back to NDP after being in IDP for two and a half years the quality of coaching is worlds apart and Id rather her not do gymnastics I think than go to NDP. It sounds harsh but at six years old there is no real NDP level for her age.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back