WAG CGM confession- afraid of DD getting hurt out of gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
My DD was just invited to an ice skating party and I'm terrified (for no good reason) that she'll hurt herself. I'm letting her go of course, because I know I can't and shouldn't put my DD in a bubble. But I really wish they were just watching a movie. I know I need to let my 8 year old live her life and be a kid, but she has her first meet of the season coming up and TOPs national testing as well. I'm not looking for advice as I know the right answer-- let the girl have her fun. Just maybe looking to commiserate with others who have these worries :) Or even better, for people to tell me not to worry!

Of course she should go and have a great time. And of course it is natural for you to worry! Everyone works so hard to get ready for meet season. Just remember you could wrap her in cotton wool and she could still trip over in the school playground. Oh that probably doesn't help! try not to watch is my advice!

I denied my dd (7) a trip to sky high before TOPS testing, but once I said it out loud to her, she totally agreed.

I always worry about DD getting hurt because she's very accident prone. Shes 7 and has already had 2 casts and a leg brace. Not to mention constant bloody noses, bruises, and scrapes.

I haven't denied her going anywhere, but I always tell her not to be crazy and make good choices. Well...... I did coerce her off a backyard trampoline that was weathered, had a broken zipper, 8 kids, and surrounded by concrete!

I've said no to a party like that, but my daughter was quite agreeable. If you'd ever seen my dd on ice skates, you'd know why!! It isn't something she can do safely under any circumstances at this point and certainly not with 50+ kids skating maniacally about. Even if she wasn't a gymnast, I'd be afraid of her getting hurt since the few times she has been she could barely move.

Well our two injuries from the summer were due to messing about in the garden with a football, and running. As Jenny says, you really can't prevent all injuries - they can happen anytime, anywhere and often when you haven't anticipated them! As long as she wears gloves and a helmet, I don't think ice skating is significantly more dangerous than lots of things kids do!

Every gym dd has been at has a no skiing rule during meet season. Ice skating? Um we live in Canada, you could no more ban that than ban breathing, lol. She needs to wear a helmet with a face mask, thick gloves and possibly snow pants ( my kids always do but rinks here are cold!).

As long as she is not trying double axels or triple lutzes, she should be just fine.

And when I was a figure skater there was a no trampoline, no skiing rule during competition season too. And that's over 25 years ago!

Haha, I had the same thought about DS just before regionals! I got as far as picturing having the conversation with his coach. Of course we went and of course everything was just fine.

You can laugh at yourself over these things a lot more easily after the first time you've dragged your child to a meet requiring some significant inconvenience only to find the child too sick to compete. (And why, why, why is that SO much more likely to happen when it 1) involves a hotel stay and 2) is that one meet where the entire family has decided to come and not just one parent plus the gymnast????)

Right before meet season last year, one of the girls on my DD's team had an ice skating birthday party. I didn't feel I could say no because all of the rest of the team was going. My DD loved it! She had never been ice skating before but skated like a champ. I was so scared she would get hurt!! I just feel now if things are going to happen, they can happen any where. We had a friend from team who broke her foot jump roping, so seriously, I have to hold back my inner CGM and let her be a kid. Good luck & hope it goes well!!

Don't worry. You are right. Kids need to be kids. I have actually never even thought about not letting my daughters do something because of gym. I guess I am more worried of them being injured in the gym then doing something else.

Every gym dd has been at has a no skiing rule during meet season. Ice skating? Um we live in Canada, you could no more ban that than ban breathing, lol. She needs to wear a helmet with a face mask, thick gloves and possibly snow pants ( my kids always do but rinks here are cold!).

As long as she is not trying double axels or triple lutzes, she should be just fine.

And when I was a figure skater there was a no trampoline, no skiing rule during competition season too. And that's over 25 years ago!
A no-skiing rule? Gulp. There would be rioting and rebellion if such a rule was mentioned at ds's gym- so much so that the coach is considering organizing a gym ski-trip with training so that the gymnasts can have their skiing without missing a week of training!

Of course we all worry, but I can't tell you how many kids hurt themselves doing common everyday activities (like walking, and trip off the curb). They need to be kids and experience things BUT I also think they need to learn how to make a decision that something might be too dangerous so it is good to discuss these things beforehand.

I would say "no way" to ice skating too! My DD has only been a few times, and is very unstable. It's not even really fun when you can hardly even stand up. Add in 10 or 12 other kids, and it's recipe for a concussion or a broken bone. Now if DD had a bit more skill or experience, I'd let her make the choice.

If my son were told no skiing he would very possibly quit gymnastics. Skiing is the one activity that he loves more than gymnastics.

I hear you about worrying about the kids out of the gym. My DS has broken 3 bones. 2 happened on the playground.

I denied my dd (7) a trip to sky high before TOPS testing, but once I said it out loud to her, she totally agreed.

Our gym has an indoor trampoline park down the road and the coaches have told the gymnasts they are not allowed to go. They see too many ambulances there through out the week.

No Skiing would send my son running. Well, he would tell you he doesn't ski, so that is fine. He will just go snowboarding.

Here is my take on some of this. Gymnastics is for now. Theyw ill not be doing this for the rest of their lives. They will have to give it up at some point. Skiing, (snowboarding), rock climbing, skating; these are skills and activities they can do well into adulthood and even middle age (yep..we still do all 3 of those!) So, we encourage him to have activities outside of the gym that he can do when he is "old" like us :)

I wouldn't really worry about it. I once broke my foot walking down the stairs at my house. Somehow my foot twisted and I broke the side of my foot. I wasn't even running or hurrying.

That was my only break from a single trauma.

Always a tough decision, because it's like beam........hard to balance! ;) I want my girls to have full well balanced lives, but just like in real life, there are situations that call for sacrifice. I usually don't have a problem with L6 and lower, but L7 and up I highly 'recommend' staying away from those types of activities. The worst injuries my girls have ever suffered (including death) have come from outside of gym. Like I tell them, I've seen 90 year olds ice skating (or whatever), but I've never seen one competing at regionals, East/West, or Nationals. There will be plenty of time for that later. Can't always have the cake and eat it too sort of thing. Good luck. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back