WAG New Here (and have question)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I made a similar statement a year or so ago on this board lamenting we hadn't started earlier. Well, each kid is different, but mine didn't start Rec until 6 3/4 and only started a 1x week preteam1 after she turned 7. I knew nothing about gymnastics when I brought her in for that first rec class. It never occurred to me that it could lead to any kind of team. Though strong and lean as a cheetah, her form/dancy-ness was terrible (stiff) and she was as flexible as a marble pillar (lol), and also ridiculously tall for her age. I really never ever ever imagined that 'her sport' would be gymnastics(!).

Well, now she is 8.5, and getting ready to compete in JO level 3 (nearly skipped it for level 4), and is at the top of her group in skills, and holds her own now on form and dance elements. Somehow things came together for her, as she is an incredibly focused, hard worker. True, if I had started her even earlier, she might be ahead a level, but she has caught up with most everyone who had that early advantage. I have seen some other 'later starters' do the same.

So you never know! Just sharing to show all is not lost, and her success really depends on her own talent and drive. Hope she continues to love gymnastics! :)
Starting earlier doesn't really matter. If the potential and dedication is there, they will end up where they would have either way. And sometimes starting early leads to burnout or overuse injuries. All kids progress at their own rate. My daughter started rec gym at almost 5 and was competing old level 4 at age 6. Another on her team started rec gym at 7 and is at same level she is, 12 year old level 8s. She progressed through levels quick while my daughter takes a slow and steady (repeating levels along the way) route. :)

We had a 13 year old (with no gym background) on my DD's level 3 team last season. I don't know the technicalities of how they did it but she is going to compete one of the top XCEL levels this season with the intention of her moving to USAG optionals next season. She is working on level 7 skills.

Yup. What Mariposa said. When you start really isn't that important. I've seen it the reverse, too. Kids that start super young and fly through the levels only to suffer a career ending injury or burn out and "retire" by the age of 9.
My dd was practically ancient at the age of 6 when she started. She competed level 4(old) at age 7, and now she's 11 and gearing up for her first level 9 meet. At this point I'm just hoping she stays healthy

We have a friend who was almost 8 when she started. She's 12 now, going level 10, and has already successfully tested Hopes/Pre-elite. She's very talented, a hard worker, and confident. I'm sure awesome coaching and previous dance experience played a part in her gymnastics progress as well, but she is living proof that a late start doesn't necessarily determine your gymnastics destiny. :)

Hi All - just as an update...my DD is going to take a trial ballet class...to see of she *might* like it...(she probably would need that more anyway...because she's very strong but not too flexible!) Thanks for all of your input and advice!! :)

Hi All - thanks so much for your replies!

I have asked her if she'd like to take ballet (as they do offer it at her gym) - but she doesn't want to...and it's hard to change her mind!

And...no I don't know when they will advance her...but I think it might be awhile...as she still has so many skills to get! (I think she was progressing faster in her rec. class than she is in the team dev. class...)

Also...what's the difference between tumbling classes vs rec.. classes?

Thanks in advance! :)

I just posed a similar question in one of the other forums. My daughter is close to the same age as yours. She is on team and goes 6 hours per week, but it isn't enough for her high activity level either. Mine could absolutely use ballet to help with form and body control, but she also said no way to that. And frankly, I don't have the energy to fight that battle. I did ask DD's coaches and was told "no" to an advanced rec class. One of her coaches suggested finding a tumbling class taught by a gymnastics coach (not cheer). We have the same problem with constant tumbling, "talent shows," flipping around, making up own moves, etc. etc. Someone on the other forum suggested using the tumbling class as a reward for not tumbling outside of the gym, and I'm planning to try that. A rec class will probably spend some time on bars, vault, and beam, but it will probably be more basic and less form-focused than a developmental class. Tumbling will focus on floor (back walkovers, back handsprings, front walkovers, etc.).

Hi All - just as an update...my DD is going to take a trial ballet class...to see of she *might* like it...(she probably would need that more anyway...because she's very strong but not too flexible!) Thanks for all of your input and advice!! :)
Oops! Just saw this. Good luck with the ballet!

Thanks! I'm honestly not sure she'll go it...she really loves just gymnastics minus the ballet type of moves and that's what she struggles with! LOL! And...I'm not so sure I should be spending the money on a class that she's not too fond of. ;) Good idea about the tumbling class!

I think that doing gymnastics at home is pretty typical. My dd did that up until this summer. She competed level 3 (9 hours per week) last season and is now competing level 6 (16 hours a week). She is just too tired now to do gymnastics at home (and there isn't any time). Definitely talk to her coaches. They have the girls best interest in mind.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back