WAG CGM confession- afraid of DD getting hurt out of gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Go for it, and she doesn't need snow pants and a face mask. A helmet is also kind of overkill, but if it makes you feel better... Gymnasts instinctively tuck and roll for backwards falls, and she's not going to go flying sideways while puttering around the rink. Gloves are good to have, and gel or super thin (not volleyball) kneepads are also nice.

Also remember that skates size down from sneakers, and they fit like gloves, not like sneakers.

Go for it, and she doesn't need snow pants and a face mask. A helmet is also kind of overkill, but if it makes you feel better... Gymnasts instinctively tuck and roll for backwards falls, and she's not going to go flying sideways while puttering around the rink. Gloves are good to have, and gel or super thin (not volleyball) kneepads are also nice.

Also remember that skates size down from sneakers, and they fit like gloves, not like sneakers.

I beg to differ. Maybe skating rinks are different where you are, but it is anything but safe and controlled when we have been, especially for someone who is inexperienced. My dd is a L8 gymnast, but is not an experienced skater and really hasn't been able to learn the few times we have been because of all the crazy 8-12 year old boys skating around like maniacs. Not to mention the danger to their hands if they fall. First time my brother went skating when we were kids he fell and some other kid skated over his hand resulting in several stitches. It isn't really "safe" if you've never done it.

Reactions: sce
I don't think it's CGM and I think you can be cautious while allowing her to be a kid at the same time. Maybe she doesn't go ice skating a month before season begins....maybe she goes right after State/Regionals.

It's close enough to season at this point, that a snapped ankle, wrist, or finger impacts the season. She's invested a lot of time and I've invested some money. While I don't wrap her in bubble wrap, I'm not going to tempt the Fates either. So no tramp park, no ice skating, no roller skating, no skiing. We've even already lowered the number of trips to the stables at this point in the year.

But in the spring and summer, she skates and rides whenever she wants. She gets to be kid but she also learns to protect her athletic investment because it would be devastating to her to lose gymnastics at this point in her life.

I have a figure skater and a gymnast. They have both dabbled at each sport. My gymnast gets too cold, and my skater too hot, so mostly they stick to their own sports. I'm happy when my gymnast will try new things. Most of our accidents seem to happen outside of gym, skating rink or horseback riding or tubing on a lake. One recently was when we were test riding a bicycle because she had outgrown her old one. Nasty knee and hand scrape, and she only pedaled about three times.

They do have the little scooter things that the kids can hold on to at most rinks,. A helmet and knee pads, thin and flexible, and thin gloves aren't too much for them when they are learning, but you have to be happy with your choice.

Our coaches biggest rule for skating and snowboarding (and skateboarding) is to wear wrist guards!

All young/beginner skaters here wear helmets. Gloves and kneepads optional. My kids all claim to sweat, so indoor rinks, they don't even wear jackets or gloves.

I'd say definitely go for it! My coach would never let me do any of that stuff while I was doing gymnastics. Now that I'm an old ex-gymnast, my doctor doesn't let me do any of that stuff because of my old gymnastics injuries that are still troublesome today.

When I was a gymnast, my one broken bone occured on a playground. My gymnast daughter's two major injuries both happened at home while playing rough with her siblings and friends. Yeah, it can happen anywhere. A little caution isn't so bad, just you know, everything in moderation.

I let my child do any activity she wants to (or has time to!)

I know they've invested a lot of time and effort into their sport, but jeez, she's 9.

Sport is a huge commitment, and she already sacrifices so much- playdates, holidays…. Whenever she gets the chance to be "normal"- go to a friends party, up the climbing wall, horse riding, ice skating, then I'm going to encourage it, as long as no absolute risks are taken (safe equipment, proper procedures etc).

Gymnasts do get injured, and it doesn't always end or affect their career. Claudia Fragapane, for one, spent all last year injured, and look at her now!

Like others have said, just as likely to fall up a kerb and get an injury as it is on an ice skating trip…

We had a roller skating party a month ago, and I cringed every time I saw her wobble, but she survived.
Then a week before school started I took DD and a friend to an indoor trampoline park. Survived that too.
The day before school started she was diagnosed with mononucleosis and out of practice completely for 6 weeks... (she's in the 3rd week of that right now).

So the best I can say is "stuff happens".

Yup, youngest in a boot for at least 3 weeks due to tripping as we headed from house to car. Maybe I'll just leave her at the gym permanently to avoid any mishaps outside of gym! ;):D Seriously, I have had those CGM moments. I did let my child go to a trampoline park b-day party with the rule that she could do no more than jump up and down - no flips, handsprings, etc. I picked her up and she was uninjured but 2 girls at the party who got to do "all the cool moves" had twisted ankles with ice. Luckily, girls don't want to go to trampoline parks since they aren't able to do anything fun there. I still worry that they'll get hurt doing things like skating - but the injuries we've had all seem to come from tripping while walking. And you can't stop that!

I don't think it's CGM and I think you can be cautious while allowing her to be a kid at the same time.
It is a difficult balance. I think there's a point where it can be up to them. Until that age they do need a parent to decide how much risk is acceptable.

A big thank you to everyone for your advice and for making me feel less CGM. Or at least in good company! Turns out some kid missed the party because her soccer season has just started! CSM I guess! DD is just back from her skating party which she survived. Turns out she didn't skate much because her head hurt from landing on it in gymnastics yesterday...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back