Parents Tying hands together on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymbee06

Proud Parent
Ok so I don't know much about coaching but I've recently come across another parent who informed their daughters hands were tied together while on beam(i don't know what skill she was being taught or anything) but I was wondering how common this is, if at all? Personally it seems so dangerous and cruel but again I don't know much or if this is normal/common practice.
This was not at my gym I might add it was at a camp out coaches were not impressed and while the parents were not thrilled they haven't complained i just wanted to know if it happened to my child if i I would be seen as crazy for going nuts if it happened to us

My DD has used the rubber band on her wrists on beam to remind her to keep her hands together before & after cartwheel on beam. So, not tied together exactly but certainly together. Were they actually tied with rope or something? I wouldn't be okay with that but the rubber band doesn't seem dangerous.

I don't know for sure the parent said "tied" together but maybe the daughter didn't explain it properly? I think I would be ok with our own coaches doing it because I've watched so much practice and am very confident they know what they are doing and are extremely safe i trust head coach 100% in this respect but for a coach that i don't know or that has never met my child before I wouldn't be happy with, also our own not coach was not happy and did say it wasn't safe and would never use this method.
I just wasn't sure if I was overreacting to this situation if it had happened to us

Um, hopefully what they mean is they used a strap bar strap or band on her wrists or elbows to help remind her to keep her arms by her ears.

Um, hopefully what they mean is they used a strap bar strap or band on her wrists or elbows to help remind her to keep her arms by her ears.

Our coaches use bands in this manner. I only recall seeing it on beam one or twice, but I dint stay to watch often. I have seen then used more frequently on floor.

We use scrunchies in this manner to remind them to keep their hands together. Hopefully it was a bad choice in words.

I've seen it done on a floor line and on the tumbling track, but up on the high beam seems dangerous to me. But everything on the high beam seems dangerous to me, lol.

P&f had her hands in a loop when learning her handspring vault as she used to fly her hands out to the side

Trust me, on beam they don't need to be 'reminded' to keep their hands together, the beam does that for them constantly!! ;) Floor and drills, well that can be a little different. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back