WAG Special needs kids In regular class?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

To go off on a bit of a tangent but relating to gymdog's comments I do think that trampoline can be excellent for disabled children. I think it is rather different in the UK though because in the USA you have T&T whereas in the UK trampoling and tumbling are seperate (tumbling is in with acro.) A lot of trampoline classes also don't have DMT so then there is no rotating around. Beacuse you can only have one kid on the trampoline at once it tends to be kind of one-on-one anyway. If there's a second trampoline you might have children either seat bouncing or back bouncing, working on a set routine or practising skills set by the coach on the previous go, depending on their level of maturity. (I.e. if you don't trust them to only work on the stuff agreed and act sensibly then you can limit it to seat bouncing.) Ideally though you would have one coach on each bed so they are always under direct supervision on the apparatus.

That does mean it can be very adaptable to different abilities. It doesn't really matter if you have a class full of people all working on different things if you are only focusing on one of them at a time. (Certainly not from a rec perspective anyway.) Also kids who are too severely disabled to engage with general gymnastics can get something out of trampolining. Examples are bouncing with a coach where you hold one-another's forearms (hold nearer the elbow if the child needs more support or at the wrist if it is more for balance.) Even children who are in wheelchairs can enjoy trampolining. In a special needs class I once held a child in a seated position sat behind them in a straddle sit while another coach bounced us (because the child was not usually able to sit up unassisted and was strapped in a wheelchair with her head lolling) and she actually started to respond to the rhythm and movement and push against the bed to make it bounce. It was so extraordinary to be holding this child like a floppy rag-doll and then feel her start to make this really purposeful muscular effort. She lifted up her head and smiled and got up to her hands and knees and started pushing at the bed. She didn't really have the coordination to do that effectively, what she was doing sitting down was actual more effective, but it was really amazing and she clearly really enjoyed it. Also we got to our hands and knees and rocked the bed like that and so, that we were copying her and she was copying us to try to make what she was doing more effective was a sort of communication, which is a big deal for a child that can't speak and lacks the muscle and coordination to sign. She didn't even have a tap board. I think she was intellectually disabled and wouln't have been able to spell. That was obviously quite intensive with two coaches to one child but in fact the person sitting and holding needn't be a coach, it could be a carer. Another option would be to lay the child on a crash mat on the trampoline to support them and bounce them like that. If you had a child with that sort of severe difficulty you would certainly need them to be accompanied by a carer who could move them onto and off of the trampoline efficiently and take care of them between goes with toiletting and so on.

On the other hand for children with problems such as ADHD I absolutely do agree that general gymnastics is better. The flip side of the individual attention kids get while they are on the trampoline is that they have to wait for turns and not create a distraction or do anything dangerous like go under the bed while they are waiting. It is pretty hard to keep on top of that as well when coaching trampoline because of the amount of focus you need on the child on the trampoline. General gymnastics has less waiting around and more short spurts of varied activity and it is easier to police when you have a group doing the same thing or going through something cannon in quick succession.

It is true that trampoline is very adaptable. But it seems this child is mobile but may lack balance and strength in his legs. Activities like beam and SOME trampoline would likely be more beneficial than waiting to bounce a few times on tramp.

I did say it was a tangent. I wasn't attemoting to address the issues of this child, just to offer a different perspective on beginner trampolining for disabled and special needs participants.

I do think it sounds like this child could beneft from trampolining though, from a physical perspective. Trampolining does improve balance as well as strength and coordination. So does general gymnastics. But in terms of balance trampoline might be more approchable for this child. It may well be that beam would be beyond his ability. Still you could make adaptions like having him walk on a form or on a floor beam, maybe holding his hand or hands. The advantage of trampoline is if he is starts with straight bouncing without and with arms and tries to gradually build up height while maintaining balance and control then if he falls over it is a soft landing (provided he falls on the bed and not off it, hence ensure he does start low and build up gradually.) Physically I think both trampoline and general gymnastics could be suitable. I don't think it is possible to say anything beyond that without detailled knowledge of the child.

As regards his behavioural problems I agree general gym is more appropriate.

However that is really moot since it is down to his parents to choose his activities and the class he is in is T&T.

With that in mind for the first T I would prioritise controlled straight bouncing. Seat bouncing, I think, is also a good activity because it improves core strength, and to an extent balance, and the risk of falling is very small. Another thing I might do is to have him lie on a splat mat and bounce him and have him roll over in the air on the count of three, which is good for helping teach body tension. Hands and knees bouncing is good for coordinating limbs and also low risk. Beyond that I would probably use typical beginner activities like shape jumps, twist jumps and seat-drops, maybe from a push start with arms held up and build up gradually from there through rocking the bed and small bounces to introducing an arm swing if that seems plausible.

As regards the other T it is not my thing so I have nothing to suggest. Maybe other coaches will add their suggestions for tumbling, and for trampolining too.

I would personally be really interested to hear suggestions of other activities or adaptions for diabled or special needs gymnasts. The more choices in the toolkit the better, I think, provided you understand them well enough to decide when they are appropriate.

Looking back the OP did say that he was falling to a bent leg sit a lot on trampoline so bouncing holding his forearms might be a good activity for him to start with until he can get used to the feel and improve his balance enough to straight bounce on his own. Seat bouncing and hands and knees bouncing could provide him more of a chance to succeed at something independently.

Reactions: sce
At my gym! Special needs children are included in normal classes but require another 1 on 1 coach to work specifically on them... They are included so they feel like a part of the class but physically can't participate alone :)

I haven't read the other responses, so forgive me if I am repeating what others have said. In regards to school, children with special needs are evaluated and given an IEP (individualized education plan). These can be quite extensive, but focus on the individual child, their needs, goals, expectations of teachers and aides, and just really focus on what professionals feel is the best way to educate the child.

But the point is that all children with special needs are not all educated the same way. I would hate to see a gym have a policy that special needs kids are never accommodated, or are always accommodated. Sometimes it will be a great fit, sometimes not as much.

So, I would speak to the mom, and see what she wants out of the class. She may just want a way for him to burn energy. But, the running out of class is dangerous for him and for other gymnasts in the gym, and obviously you can't be spending your time chasing one kid around. I would give him another try to see if he settles down a little. If he still is running all over, I would invite the mom to stay with him for the whole class. Sometimes is takes some kids a little longer to get used to the structure. It might take him a couple of months, maybe never. But, it is worth trying figure out some way he can be accommodated.

But the point is that all children with special needs are not all educated the same way. I would hate to see a gym have a policy that special needs kids are never accommodated, or are always accommodated. Sometimes it will be a great fit, sometimes not as much.

So, I would speak to the mom, and see what she wants out of the class. She may just want a way for him to burn energy. But, the running out of class is dangerous for him and for other gymnasts in the gym, and obviously you can't be spending your time chasing one kid around. I would give him another try to see if he settles down a little. If he still is running all over, I would invite the mom to stay with him for the whole class. Sometimes is takes some kids a little longer to get used to the structure. It might take him a couple of months, maybe never. But, it is worth trying figure out some way he can be accommodated.
I agree with all of this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back