Parents Request to school for early dismissal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When I was little, one of my neighbours had a few peacocks/peahens. I don't miss the sound of cats being strangled in the middle of the night.

We do have a lot of kangaroo's in Australia. In fact we have twice as many Kangaroos as people but not in the middle of the city.

If you live in the city you won't see them.

But they are a big problem on our highways if you are driving longer distances, they will jump out in front of the car.

At our camp grounds there are kangaroos galore, at night they come in a scrounge for food and they are everywhere.

We don't have that many koala's either, but it does happen, our gym is in the middle of the city and twice we have seen a Koala in the tree right outside.

Regarding the deadly Australian drop-bears and kangaroos mentioned above, I was told that there are deadly spiders that hang out on shower rails and leap on unsuspecting people mid-shower. I suspect that this may not in fact be entirely true but it did put me off the whole idea of visiting Oz when I was a teenager;)

I am spoiling the reputation of our country, but despite the fact that we have many deadly spiders there have been no spider bite deaths in Australia since 1979.

We've got snakes though! But we also have antivenine and deaths are fairly rare, at least in adult humans. Huntsmans are really creepy looking though, have to give them that :)

Yeah, I don't like kangaroos/possums/Tassie devils trying to get into my tent. Tassie devils fighting outside your tent in the middle of the night is not the most fun sound in the world :-(

We live in the southern US, and we have plenty of snakes and spiders that could kill you or at least make you wish you were dead for a while. There are 1250 at the local elementary school and that is K-4. This year there are 14 1st grade classes.

We are homeschooling this year mostly because of DS needing to be at the doctor 2x a week and not wanting to interrupt school. This we work comes with us when we go. So far so good!!

Reactions: COz
We live in the southern US, and we have plenty of snakes and spiders that could kill you or at least make you wish you were dead for a while. There are 1250 at the local elementary school and that is K-4. This year there are 14 1st grade classes.

We are homeschooling this year mostly because of DS needing to be at the doctor 2x a week and not wanting to interrupt school. This we work comes with us when we go. So far so good!!
Lol, I think the first two sentences needed to be separated, I had a moment of confusion, visions of over a thousand deadly snakes and spiders at school, then a good laugh!

But wow that's a massive school!

You certainly have some large elementary schools. In my state we actually have over 100 elementary schools with less than 20 students. The largest in the state has 1250 students, but that size is very rare.

This is in my neighbors back patio. A turkey knocking on their door. We are in Ohio.

safe_image.php

It don't like huntsman (spiders) in the house. It's a fine art waiting until they are low enough down the wall to be within reach to pop a container over the top to get them outside and well down the street before releasing. Once they're big enough that this isn't possible I try to pretend that they're not there. Sending DH to extract the big ones don't normally end well.

No...just, no. There would be no pretending. My house would be on fire.

Wait...what is a tazie devil?!?!? That doesn't sound good. In our area we see many deer, opossums, armadillos, snakes, turkeys and black bears and groundhogs :)

As far as school, my DD gets out 3 hours early daily. The positive side to this is gym is done by 5 and dinner and homework done by 8 which means plenty of sleep can occur.

We do value education and she knows she has to maintain her education or gymnastics won't happen. She is considered a part time student in hours but her teacher gives us all her work and the books and resources she uses in class. DD gets grades in all subject. The part time status does not effect anything but is a technicality so the school doesn't take a hit on attendance.

If DD struggled at all this wouldn't be our arrangement but the truth is she doesnt need to sit in the classroom for 7 hours a day to learn. I don't think leaving school early sends the message that education isn't important or valued or less important than gymnastics, there are many ways to educate and instill a love for learning. Each child and circumstance is different.

I woke up once with a huntsman spider on my face. To give you an idea of the size of it, I could feel 8 little feet around the edge of my adult-sized face... Suffice to say - I didn't scream. All I could think about was the &^*! thing going in my mouth...

Reactions: COz
Wait...what is a tazie devil?!?!? That doesn't sound good.

Their jaws are really strong and are used to bite through bone, they are generally scavengers rather than hunters. They are the garbage disposal animals, eating dead animals. They have a stupidly good sense of smell, can smell blood a kilometer or so away. When they find food they bite a chunk off and run at least a kilometer before actually eating, so at animal parks/zoos, when fed, they run around in circles for a while. They are solitary, so fight a lot in captivity. Apparently they are quite trainable and can be affectionate if you are crazy enough to raise one (you need special permits to look after Australian wildlife, we don't have pet kangaroos). They are marsupials with pouches, live generally in forresty kind of areas, nocturnal by preference I think, and tend to get hit by cars like a lot of other Australian wildlife. Oh, and they live in Tasmania (island at the bottom of the main part of Australia).

I hate it when huntsman end up on the ceiling somewhere where you're forced to walk under them. I hate it even more when they're on that same spot of the ceiling for a few days, then you get up one morning and they're no longer there, and you're not quite sure where they are or whether you'll open a door and they'll be there, or behind the couch, or beside the bed. I also hate it when you're watching TV and you see it start to move across the ceiling and down the wall and then it goes behind something...

I also reeeaally hate it when you see a baby huntsman, because it means that there are probably a bunch of it's siblings in the house too :-(

They're basically harmless but big and scary looking. Have I given anyone nightmares?

The huntsmen around here have HUGE fangs - 1cm at least. I wouldn't want to get bitten by one!! I know they're not venomous, but yergh... The worst issue with most spider bites is bacterial infection.

And yes - nothing worse than that moment where Mr Huntsman is suddenly no longer where he was an hour ago...and you never saw him move LOL

I woke up once with a huntsman spider on my face. To give you an idea of the size of it, I could feel 8 little feet around the edge of my adult-sized face... Suffice to say - I didn't scream. All I could think about was the &^*! thing going in my mouth...

Oh my gosh, I am pretty sure that I would die on the spot. That is horrible. I am traumatized just reading this. I'm not afraid of spiders, but I am afraid of MONSTERS. Good Lord!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back