Parents Flash during Private Lesson

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Actually the judges are the ones most likely to complain about the flash. The audience is sometimes situated near them depending n the event and they need full visual focus. Almost every meet I go to, a judge complains about flashes and yells at parents. It is distracting to them as well when they are trying to write AND watch closely.
And all this time I thought it was chalk in their eyes! ;)
Just kidding, I never thought about that. :)

Actually the judges are the ones most likely to complain about the flash. The audience is sometimes situated near them depending n the event and they need full visual focus. Almost every meet I go to, a judge complains about flashes and yells at parents. It is distracting to them as well when they are trying to write AND watch closely.

This. It's mostly an issue at meets because it is distracting to the judges.

At the meets I work, the judge complains to the meet director, and the meet director takes action (which sometimes is asking me to talk to the offender).

As for flash being distracting to the athlete, it largely depends on the circumstance. I have known ill timed bright flashes to cause a fall on beam, or a missed landing on floor.

If I were in the same situation as the OP I would have asked the coach or my gymnast if the flash was a problem. If the answer was "yes" then I would have talked directly to the photographer. But that's me: I don't mind being confrontational.

I think the whole flash issue and its inherent danger is more of an urban legend...both of my girls and many of their teammates say they don't notice anything , including a flash , when they're out there......we've been at college meets where some of the opposing student body sits by the beam and yells (more like screams) "fall! fall!fall!" the whole time the girls are on the beam....I would think something like that is more dangerous....
Last year DD was doing her ROBHS tumble pass towards the crowd. Right as she hurdled a mom took a flash picture of her daughter on beam. The lights were dimmed in the gym and DD got the flash full in the face. Her ROBHS turned into a RO Back Head Spring as she couldn't see the floor while back tumbling. Flashes are dangerous. DH had to get between me and the woman because she was about to get a major piece of my mind.

So yes. I am now the flash police, for the safety of DD and every other kid out there competeing.

They aren't allowed at men's competitions here.

Maybe international levels are different? When I was working there, during the women's they announced a couple of times no flash... Then during the vault finals I noticed flashes behind the announcer who I had been sitting with the day before. I went and mentioned it to him and he said that they are used to it and it makes no difference for the men.

*shrug*

It's one of those things that is just not a risk worth taking. Great to ehre
Maybe international levels are different? When I was working there, during the women's they announced a couple of times no flash... Then during the vault finals I noticed flashes behind the announcer who I had been sitting with the day before. I went and mentioned it to him and he said that they are used to it and it makes no difference for the men.

*shrug*
This surprises me, as I can imagine an ill timed flash could greatly throw a man off while he is vaulting.

I think the whole flash issue and its inherent danger is more of an urban legend...both of my girls and many of their teammates say they don't notice anything , including a flash , when they're out there......we've been at college meets where some of the opposing student body sits by the beam and yells (more like screams) "fall! fall!fall!" the whole time the girls are on the beam....I would think something like that is more dangerous....

not urban legend. there have been athletes over the years that have had epilepsy seizures triggered from the flash on camera's. :)

not urban legend. there have been athletes over the years that have had epilepsy seizures triggered from the flash on camera's. :)

Well I would think that we would have heard of some of these instances.....and if they allow flash at the men's meets (like a prior poster witnessed) , aren't we worried about the guys seizing?

I think that it was a mistake. FIG media rules do not allow flash at all during any meet. maybe this was just the announcers opinion, as others have stated here. i am sure most gymnasts don't notice distractions around them, but it only takes one time for it to bother them!

I think that it was a mistake. FIG media rules do not allow flash at all during any meet. maybe this was just the announcers opinion, as others have stated here. i am sure most gymnasts don't notice distractions around them, but it only takes one time for it to bother them!

And I, as a lowly parent volunteer really had no say in the matter. I would have hoped a coach or other official would have said something. But then, the judges backs were facing where the flashes were coming from also.

And Marta wasn't there for that event either so.... :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back