Parents Skill set question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymbee06

Proud Parent
Ok tried posting this on coaches forum but wasn't able to.
This is totally random that I was thinking but my dd skills seem to be all over from what I read on here ( I know the USA/UK levels are differerent from what I see in here) I was just wondering if they should seem so far apart floor to beam and so on?
She has fhs and robhsbhs on floor bwo on beam and is training fhs on vault but then bars seems to baffle me her doing giants on bars and cast to handstands but she doesn't float upstart and from reading cb this is quite an important skill?(maybe not as much emphasis over?) I know she trains them a little bit not much and there's no urgency to get them till next October
I was just wondering if this is normal ish lol sorry for the waffling hope I msd a little bit of sense!

She also has a flyaway I think that's what's it's called maybe back away?? And is 7 her form is not great though damn those straight legs lol!

I'm not sure what a "float upstart" is but she sounds like a pretty average L4 with some L5 skills over here. Doing giants and cast to handstand on bars is a little bit higher skill, but lots of our 5's work those. :) for reference, those floor skills are required for L4, BWO on beam is required for L5 but lots choose to do BHS on beam instead. FHS vault is required at L4, as is the kip. Giants aren't required until L7. :) Flyaway is required for L5. hope that helped!

For reference, my L5 is required to do BHS-back tuck on floor, FHS step out-FHS on floor and front tuck. She is *training* layouts and twists.
On beam she is required to have BWO along with split leaps, full turn etc. She will be doing BHS on beam in her routine, and is training BWO-BHS series and BHS-BHS series.
On bars she is required to have clear hip, baby giant, long hang kip, flyaway. She is training straddle cast to handstand and layout flyaways! she's not quite there on working giants yet.

@SurpriseGymMom ,
the upstart, from my understanding is the kip... so a float upstart = Glide Kip?...

I know it USED to be that the US was the main country that put emphasis on having it so early in the competitive levels. Other countries have them jumping to high bar way before they ever kip.

To OP, @SurpriseGymMom is correct for the JO levels, your daughter would be about a L4 with some L5 skills and the kip holding her back... But she would also be close to Xcel Gold with only a floor skill missing (connect the FHS to a Roundoff or another FHS and she would be Gold) and having some Platinum skills.

Hope that helps. :)

Sounds like you got a fair number of answers here. An FYI. The coaches forum is for coaches only to discuss things. This forum is for parents only. For general Women's artistic questions you'll get the most answers on the Women's Artistic Gymnasitcs forum.

Thanks for all your replies it seems what is required here vs over there at what levels varies quite a between the events

In the US, the FHS vault is the compulsory vault for girls in L4-5 and by far the most common vault seen in L6-7. When do girls in Great Britain start competing the FHS?

On the US boys' side, the compulsory vault is a flatback at L4, a flyspring/bounder at L5, and a FHS at L6, which makes more sense to me at least! (Though my son competed the straight jump vault at L4, which was the most boring vault ever imagined.)

Reactions: sce
pretty much all comps as soon as they can ! lol

P&F has been doing handsprings since she could, I'm thinking back now as to when she started and that would have been at old Novice level, so maybe your level 3 ? Before that its a flatback.

From what I have noticed ( and it could just be my region, well probably is) that we seem to do more on vault and less on bars.

For example P&F is trying to turn her tsuk now, but can't giant yet. But then again ours compete squat on and catch at quite low levels.

Mind you, its all changed now so I'm really just rambling.............

When my dd was our old level 6 here in Canada, her bars was kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip, back circle, cast handstand, step down, pike off.

Her floor was front tuck, step out, round off back handspring, and round off, back handspring, back layout, switch split, split jump.

Her beam was press handstand mount, back walkover, back walkover connected, a back handspring on its own, split jump, Sissone connected and cartwheel back tuck dismount.

I know the levels aren't the same but just to give you an idea of the different things she was doing on events.

We are also in the UK and my dd seems to have a random set of skills too compared to the US system. She is in the grades route (did 14 in spring) isn't a natural gymnast but she works hard, she has
Beam - cartwheel, bwo, reasonable split jump and leap, RO dismount, hit and miss on the forward roll
Floor - bwo, tic toc, fwo, front handspring, still needs spotting on back flic
Bars - not quite got the upstart but is sooooo close according to coach and her, bhc, squat on to tap but not to catch, not sure about anything else ...
Vault - handstand flat back, drilling for handspring
Hopefully she will be ready to compete grade 13 equivalent next spring but in our region is nowhere near the skill set to do optional level 5.

Glad I'm not alone with it feeling like she has a completely random skill set compared to the us when I'm reading cb! Fingers crossed for you for grade 13 it's amazing what stuff the can seem to pick up in just a few weeks I remember a month ago feeling like she had been doing the same stuff over and over for months with nothing new and in the space of a couple of weeks has hit a couple of big moves( well for her anyway) lol

its the nature of the beast, just when you feel its all going no-where, suddenly they are coming on leaps and bounds

Squat on catch jump to high bar was in her routine for regional level 5 that we did in June

Surprised she didn't need an upstart for level 5. Without one it is a massive jump from 5 to 4 which is hard for the kids.

Sorry it was level
5 county championships don't know if that makes any difference it all gets very confusing between grades and levels county and regional I know we have girls competing in a few weeks and they have to have their upstart think they are doing level 4 but unsure whether it's county regional or anything else

same here, we require upstarts for level 5, only one of girls doesn't have it but she is 16 and just can't get it, but she has BHS on beam

Are level requirements different depending where you are and is there a difference between competing a regional level 5 and a county championship level 5?

level 5 rules are set within each region ( and if you are off the beaten track, each county) - its a major bugbear here in the Brit community as someone from London will be competing differently to someone from the NE or W Midlands or SW. - We reslly need BG to step up and make a national Level 5 (and maybe 6 & 7) to ensure we are all on the same book, so yes it will vary. Our girls had a huge shock when they went regional from in-county.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back