WAG New skills and Masters competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
I haven't posted in ages but I have some exciting news to share. I've decided to compete Masters this year, three years after retiring! My question is about skill expectations, mainly on bars.

Now that the code has changed and routines are compulsory up to Level 5 I would really like to aim to compete Level 6, though that's a bit ambitious. I was playing around with free hips on strap bars and can do one to horizontal, but one of the coaches suggested I try toe on to handstand, as some people find it easier than free hip to handstand. (I train just 4 hours a week at the Adult Rec drop-in class, and this coach has seen me train the last few months, but certainly doesn't have a thorough grasp of my abilities like my competitive coaches did). I tried them on straps with spot, and got about half of them to handstand, and was quite pleased with that!

My question is: how reasonable is it to expect myself to be able to master this skill in time for competitions in February? I'm very aware that straps are not that similar to real bars, and I still have to work on cast to handstands without spot. I want to do the best routines I can do, but also it's Masters so there's less pressure in my mind (you get wine instead of medals for heaven's sake). I understand the mechanics of the skill well, but when I'm actually in the middle of it I find it hard to know exactly when to shoot my toes off the bar.

For floor, what would be examples of acceptable tumbling lines for Level 6? I've found the document for the new code but it's not clear to me what the exact requirements are for tumbling in Level 6. I'd like to try to compete front layout, and ro-bhs-layout or something similar. Front handspring front tuck is unfortunately not possible because it destroys my knees.

Thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated! I'm getting so excited about competing again :)

*I live in Canada by the way so that's the new code I'm talking about.
** I will be asking my old coach about specific routine requirements but that might not be for a while and I'd prefer to have an idea of goals/skills now.

LOL, I am not in Canada, but I do know that in the USA, your floor passes would work for L6... not that this really helps you, but :)

Can anyone chime in on their experience learning toe to handstands or coaching them? I know there are tons of factors that influence time taken to mastering a skill, but honestly anything is appreciated.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back