Coaches Finishing warm-up/assignments

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you require that an event warm-up or assignment be completed before the gymnast is allowed to move on to the skills/assignment for the day? I'm specifically thinking of bars and I give the girls a different warm up each day (ex. Push away kips, tap swings, kip-cast HS, HS holds, etc). But they can't all complete it. Should I have them keep working it until they get it which means they'd miss what we're working on? Or do I let them just try and move on anyway (I'm afraid they put in less effort this way)?

HI BarCoach
I ask myself the same question some days. Depending on the time of the season. You need to prioritise so maybe start smaller with what you're asking. So it should take 5 mins or 10 mins group size permitting and let them know they need to get it done in that time within a couple weeks. Then slowly add to it.

I have the problem with setting assignments for number of skills to get done or routines and them not getting finished but unfortunately having to move off the apparatus for the next group!

Good luck!

It really depends on a lot of factors. Sometimes I require that it is finished and sometimes I don't.

If a kid simply can't complete all the skills they need it to be modified or you can count attempts at the skill.

You can tell with a gymnasts if it is laziness or if they are doing their best and just can't get the skills yet.

Give them the same warm up every day. Do the conditions at the end, or do the conditioning as a group at the beginning as a cirquit. Structure

Up to you, my kids do the same warm up for about 7 years now. :)

We change warmups every six months, but they are always pretty small changes. We do small additions and deletions in their event warmups as I see fit though. I think it's always great for the warmup to constantly evolve!

Set of drop kips , set of 5 straight kip casts, , 10 second h stand over grip and under grip. Set of 10 second butt stick over and under. Hanging half turns. From a dead hang, arch hollow L V candle, back to V L arch hollow, repeat. They have 7 min to complete all that, or I beat them ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back