Parents JOGA vs Xcel .... Need Advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OP, I am revising my answer a little. If you really like your gym, ask them how they see each program. Can you switch between the programs or are you stuck once you get slated to one stream. Also, see what level your DD would be in each and what competitions they will be attending. From my limited knowledge of Excel, it seems like there are more opportunities for lower level gymnasts to compete. I know in Joga, the most competitive girls in Joga 6 have kips and or flyaways, back and front tucks on floor, cartwheel or back walkovers series on beam and clean handspring vaults. Joga 6 was the entry competition level when my daughter started so I don’t know much about Joga 7. Your gym should be able to guide you to the better fit.

JOGA is a New Jersey program, but I'm not extremely familiar with it. Also, we only live near 1 gym that is reputable in our area, so we're kind if stuck there. Just trying to figure out what's best for her.
If this is the only gym reasonably available to you, I would talk with the coach and ask which program is more competitive in your gym and in your area and then I would go with that one. I would also share your daughter's goals with the coach to see what he/she has to say. Without knowing how your gym treats each program, none of us can reliably comment on which is better.

I agree with most here that if your dd continues to want to do NCAA gymnastics in the years to come, you will eventually need to switch to a JO program. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you need to do that now. It really just depends on how your gym trains skills, form, etc. Does the gym have higher level gymnasts? Do gymnasts tend to leave for another gym after a certain level? These questions will help you determine whether the gym is training the girls for higher level gymnastics. Again, eventually she will have to switch (unless the gym decides to go to JO in the future) but if the gym is training the girls well, it can wait a couple years to see if your dd continues to be serious about her goals.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

To the OP... Since your DD is 8, you have a few more years, but realistically, only a few. I had a rude awakening this year with respect to my DD's gymnastics ( she is 10, turning 11). I THOUGHT she had plenty of time at the old gym before we needed to make a move. However, it was made clear to me that I was wrong, wrong, wrong!

The options given by OP were Xcel or JOGA... which of THESE would benefit her long term goals... and I think that Xcel fits in this circumstance.

I know she asked which of those but I figured those were the options she had at hand ...AND she had a little sidebar on how her daughter had planned her high school and college around doing gymnastics etc so...I figured it would be remiss to answer with either Xcel or JOGA as the best way to achieve her stated goals without saying that, even though you said A and B, C is your better option because I can't think of 1 gymnast on a D1 team who came out of a program from the get go that was either Xcel or JOGA....if she wants to do club, well that changes the requirements...

I think it is better for the OP to have all of her options presented and she can choose to do as she likes with her daughter...

I think it is better for the OP to have all of her options presented and she can choose to do as she likes with her daughter...
I understand this... but her gym is in transition - quitting USAIGC for Xcel and JOGA... and that means that they are at least getting into USAG territory. This, to me, means that it would be possible that, in the future, they will also offer JO... but potentially only teach L4 and L5 routines to score out and then offer JO Optionals (it happens) since they seem to prefer programs that only do OPTIONAL routines.
At 8, there is still time to get to where she needs to be without going to JO (and potentially having to compete L2 or L3, depending on her skills translation from USAIGC Copper) immediately.

I think you need to find out how the gym handles their xcel program. It is different everywhere. Our gym competes xcel until they are ready to compete JO L7.

So we compete xcel and go to mobility meets to score out of JO levels in the off season. This allows the girls to continues to up train a lot. It is nice to be able to upgrade their routines as they get higher skills clean.

I also like that one apparatus doesn't hold them back. My DD struggles with fear on beam but is
strong on bars and vault. So while her beam doesn't have the highest skills she is growing and adding on the other events. They are confident that beam will catch up. (Has already started to)

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

I understand this... but her gym is in transition - quitting USAIGC for Xcel and JOGA... and that means that they are at least getting into USAG territory. This, to me, means that it would be possible that, in the future, they will also offer JO... but potentially only teach L4 and L5 routines to score out and then offer JO Optionals (it happens) since they seem to prefer programs that only do OPTIONAL routines.
At 8, there is still time to get to where she needs to be without going to JO (and potentially having to compete L2 or L3, depending on her skills translation from USAIGC Copper) immediately.

And this is exactly why I would move her know to an established JO program that can help her achieve her goals for the future...I know she is 8 now but if she spends 2 years in her current gym "in transition" and they never get where she needs to be, well that's 2 years of time and money wasted....

She may only be 8, but in some gyms that would be too old to enter a JO program (this is often discussed and debated on CB). Waiting two more years to find a JO gym may cause even more issues if she really wants to compete in college. Assuming that a gym would fast track a girl through compulsories to optionals is a big assumption. A lot of gyms do not operate that way.

No matter what anyone says, Xcel is a less rigorous track in most areas. Less training hours than what is required to ultimately reach the skills needed for level 10. The top level Xcel girls are not competing anywhere near the same level of skills as JO level 10's. Plus, the deductions for form and execution are less than the JO track, which results in higher scores with less than perfect form. People can say that Xcel is just as rigorous, but the truth is in black and white in the way deductions are applied. Not saying that Xcel doesn't have a place. It's a great program for what it's intended to do, but it shouldn't be compared the rigorous requirements of the JO program. That truly is the only program that will prepare an athlete for collegiate competition.

I was thinking about this post last night and i wanted to add something. There is a lot of talk about JO vs xcel but I think it should be added that just because its JO doesnt mean that is going to get a gymnast to college gymnastics. It needs to be the right JO gym. I often say that my dd practices the same as the options at her gym. Which is true but i doubt 15 hours a week is a lot compared to the girls who end up competing in the NCAA.

OP, I have limited knowledge of Xcel and JOGA (Pea is on the JO track) but I know that most girls that leave our gym, leave to compete JOGA because they want a less time consuming option. My understanding is that JOGA has a much more established program with more meets available in-state, Xcel has limited in-state meets so travel will be a must. Not sure where you are in the state, but I'm happy to share anything I know if you want to PM me.

The problem is this: While some parents may switch their child to a more competitive JO gym in order to give their child a chance at a college scholarship, I feel that move will do one of several things.
1. Give the child better gymnastics instruction and help the child reach their best physical ability (which likely STILL won't be good enough for college gymnastics. Sad, but true).
2. Push the child into quitting sooner. More intense programs will lead to better gymnastics, but many, many children don't make it to the end of that journey.

I equate it to this. You child wants to make a perfect score on the SAT. In order to best help your child, you hire an SAT tutor starting in 7th grade and have your child study SAT specific materials for 3 hours, 5 nights a week ALL THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL.

Sure, your child might get that perfect score, but the odds are so against it, even with all that sacrifice. Would it be worth it if they didn't make it?

To the parents who are currently on a journey to try to get a scholarship for gymnastics, I say this not to discourage you and I wish your children all the best. I just don't think I'd drive significantly out of my way/be inconvenienced for many years at the start of my gymnastics journey just because that was the goal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back