WAG Level 6 - how many girls do BHS on beam and at least one giant on bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you think not being able to kip-cast-handstand is reason to do 6? DD's teammates all have cast-handstand-giants, but most cannot kip into it.
If you cannot connect a kip to a cast H stand then you cannot get into your giant (or at least perform a good giant out of it).

My DD will be competing level 6, she doesn't have BHS yet, but they don't compete until jan so there's still time. She's also been working front walkovers and might put that in too. She's nowhere close to having her giant. On floor she will compete a layout and Fhs-front.

If you cannot connect a kip to a cast H stand then you cannot get into your giant (or at least perform a good giant out of it).

Well they all have cast handstands that they giant out of. They just can't connect the kip and the cast. They pause in between :)

This is all great input - thanks so much!

It is clear to me that our gym "over requires" on skills, but they seem to do it all levels so at least it is consistent. At times, it frustrates me because I know the kids can compete with less than what they have in their routines.

The positive, of course, is that the girls' uptraining is very good. In fact, several of last year's level 6's will be scoring out of level 7 at our first meet and going to level 8. The fact that they had giants in their routines last year allowed them to work priouettes this summer and manyn have their fulls as well...and it seems to have paid off for many.

At DD's gym, HC won't even begin training giants until the cast H-stand is solid. I don't know if that is HC's preference, or if the cast H-stand is a prereq for the giant. DD had her cast H-stand a year and a half go so hers has been pretty consistent for a while now. Some of her teammates do not have consistent cast H-stand and they have not begun training giants.

All of them are working layouts and BHS on beam. The difference between them and DD is that DD is working BHS-BHS on beam, clear hip handstands and pirouettes on bars, tsuks on vault and fulls on tumble trak (she is working them--she is nowhere near to having all of them yet). I'm guessing (and I could be completely wrong) that HC wants to see how she scores at 6 before moving her to 7.

I have been told 'no giants, no 7,' though I'm not sure if that is HC's requirement or if girls will just get creamed at 7 with no giants. I also know that we have a couple of older optionals girls who are stalling out because they didn't have the luxury of the extra year to uptrain and consequently have had to repeat both 7 and 8 because they are still working current level skills. The 'new' optionals girls coming up behind them have the benefit (?) of being slowed down a bit to work on getting the current level skills solid (which they have for 6 since they all scored out of 5 last season) and working skills for the next level.

Maybe I'm looking at that the wrong way (or maybe I'm just not making any sense at all) but that seems to be what HC is doing...we will see where everyone competes come January...

This year our gym has 9 level 6's, (4 8yo, 2 9yo, 2 10yo, and 1 11yo) all of them are competing giants and bhs on beam. 4 are doing layouts and the rest will compete backtucks, everyone does fhs-ft as their second pass.

Curious why they're doing L6...those sound a lot like L7 routines to me (the 4 gymnasts with the layouts).

Curious why they're doing L6...those sound a lot like L7 routines to me (the 4 gymnasts with the layouts).

It is interesting to see what different gyms requirements are for L6/L7. Our 6s last year all did layouts and BHS on beam, but no giants. It is my understanding that if they had giants, they would be 7s.

Yeah...it is. I think L6 would have been a great option for my daughter last season, but our gym didn't compete it. She did okay at L7 and is on track for L8 now, but last year she didn't really feel "ready" for L7 until about Feb, so it made for a bit of a rough start. I guess it all worked out in the end, but I hope that more gyms utilize L6 over time.

They all probably could compete 7, but we feel they will be more successful at 6. (they are still very new at competing) That being said, some of them will ready for 8 next year.

We still don't know what dd will be doing for level 6, she gets her floor choreography in 2 wks and her beam probably a week later but she also has to score out of level 5 at Judges Cup. I'm sure her beam will have a bhs, she might do it L5 too; that's what their wanting this year but she also has her tuck, they might save that for level 7, she's only missing her giant. It's going to be a Crazy year!

Just trying to get a sense for what skills are seen the most. Thanks!

Last year, me and all my teammates did not have giants, and we were level 6. However, our coaches required us to have a flight skill on beam. I had a BHS, while my other teammates all had Round-offs as their flight skills.

Last year my daughter was a 6 and I saw very few giants. Girls with beautiful cast hs scored 9.5 on bars without the Giants
My dd did a fine variety of beam routines tried Bwo bwo tried BHS but ended winning beam at states with a simple BWO and Cw BT dismount. It seems in NJ the more in the routine the more deductions to choose from.

DD is a L6 and is doing a BHS on beam (competed that as a L5 too), layout on floor, and has her giants, but won't compete those until she can get her flyaway out of the giant consitant. She's very close though, so I would imagine she'll add giants to her bars before the seasons through. She's doing L6 because she's young and her coach thinks L6 is a good place to get her feet wet in optionals. I like that there's no pressure to get that "one skill that's holding her back"... She's competing where she's comfortable, for this first year in optionals anyway. I know her coach did say that if she competes giants, she'll probably be the only L6 doing so. From that, I take it that giants aren't common in L6 around here.

I competed level 6 last season.

I had a BWO and a BHS on beam (not connected). I generally scored in the mid to high 9s

On floor, I had a back LO and a punch front pike. Usually scored in mid 9s

I didn't have Giants on bars, but still scored in the low 9s anyway.

If it helps, I'm in region 1 and judging is generally pretty hard here.

DD is a 6 and is doing BHS on beam along with 2/3 of her teamates, but none are competing giants (that is what has held our group at 6, only 1 of 10 moved to 7)

My daughter was training bhs but not making it consistently. So she is now going to compete bwo. Ironically she can do giants on bars but still struggles with level 7 beam skills.

My daughter was training bhs but not making it consistently. So she is now going to compete bwo. Ironically she can do giants on bars but still struggles with level 7 beam skills.
Isn't it funny the order that some get skills?! My DD is doing Xcel Gold this year and hoping to score out of 4/5 soon. Her biggest problem-the darn kip!!! But she's competing BHS on beam...strange! Lol glad I'm not the only one! :)

Yes my DD struggled with BHS on beam for close to a year!! But has beautiful clear hip and got giants in just a few months! Also got her layout on floor in a week! Bizarre...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back