MAG Raw talent?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Amber

Proud Parent
Ok, so I usually post in WAG. But, I cam upon a strange situation, and wanted input from my MAG friends:).
I was visiting my friend last night, whose daughter is on team with mine. She has a son, who jus turned 17 and is homeschooled. I was joking about what my level 7 DD can do. This boy was like, "I can do that too". So I said, "show me on the front lawn".!
This boy did a full ( without my permission, I would have said no), a BHS, and a standing back tuck as if he were on beam- that is , a 4 inch space starting and landing. He also did a perfect handstand, then a handstand pirouette. He has a split, and perfect straight leg cartwheel.

His mom said he did some gym 7 years ago (never team), and is pretty good at bars too.

This boy is about 5'7 and 135 lbs all muscle. Very strong and flexible. Failed at many field sports because of his small size.

I have an "in" with our head boys team coach. I think this boy has a ton of raw potential. Should I arrange a try out with boys HC? Our gym goes to boys level 10. Quite frankly, he seems better than the level 9s we have, better control and straighter legs. But that is after a 15 min eval. I just have a gut feeling this kid could be good. Thoughts?​

It's worth a mention but if he hasn't found a gym by age 17 it would seem gymnastics isn't his passion. Heap all the attention you want on a talented kid who doesn't love the sport and you usually end up with a frustrated group of people.

Iwannacoach, you're right it hasn't been his interest. But he's come to the conclusion that he is too small for the field sports that he's wasted years on. He has no idea he's good at gym, and he's intrigued.
Is it too late to even try, for a boy?

Iwannacoach, you're right it hasn't been his interest. But he's come to the conclusion that he is too small for the field sports that he's wasted years on. He has no idea he's good at gym, and he's intrigued.
Is it too late to even try, for a boy?
Not too late as long as it's something he wants to do. Kids who "want it" and have raw talent are a blast to work with because they learn so fast they stay excited through their first year or two, and can make as much as 4-5 years progress in the two year span.

There is an advantage to coming in late with optimistic energy and a fresh body.

If he's intrigued and can do a full he could likely be some kind of level 9. The boys side is fairly relaxed. He should give it a try if he's interested, I think the coach would be. Having older boys is often a struggle and needed for the program overall.

One if our neighbors started late. I think it was 3.5 years ago. He is now a senior, so I guess he was 14 or 15 when he started as a Level 5. Last season he was a Level 10 and made nationals!!!

I share everyone's enthusiasm with one major caveat: pommel horse. But with six events, one that's significantly behind the others need not be an Achilles' heel!

If nothing else, he could have a lot of fun.

From what you say, his floor skills are about L7-8 for boys right now, and he's likely be able to vault at that level pretty quickly as well. The other 4 events would take some training, but strength is the key to higher level boys gym so he might move quickly in training. Its great exercise and strength building, whether he competed or not - and if the coach and kid were willing, would keep him active and out of trouble:D.

First thing that crossed my mind... How come his mom/parents didn't put him (back) into gymnastics long time ago? It sounds like his little sister is a gymnast and her gym has a good boys program, so maybe there is a reason why they didn't think about it?

First thing that crossed my mind... How come his mom/parents didn't put him (back) into gymnastics long time ago? It sounds like his little sister is a gymnast and her gym has a good boys program, so maybe there is a reason why they didn't think about it?

I was thinking this, too - wondering why the parents haven't already thought of that if he has any interest at all? I would want to understand that before planting any seeds with the boys' coach. Apart from that, sounds like he could have a great experience if he wants it!

This boy's dad (he's adopted) is 6'5 and played football. He is a manly man, to say the least;) and the boy has been playing football all his life. But since he turned 15, he has struggled to get noticed because of his small size. Last year he was like 4th string.
I think his dad finally understands that this boy is not right for football, but might be right for gym. He's willing to pay for gym.

On a happy note, I got him an eval with boys gym coach:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back