WAG Vault issues with young dd

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
My dd is 6 1/2 and is a new level 2. She had her first meet last weekend and did okay over all except that she scratched her vault because she had to be spotted. She was the only one on her team that needed to be spotted and there was only one other in the meet. She's feeling discouraged because she got the lowest aa score in the whole meet. :( Of course, we told her that we were proud of her and that the vault would come in time and we do believe that. I just was wondering if anyone else had a dd struggle with the basic vault (handstand flat back) and if they have any idea what made it click for their dd?

My dd's problem is that she doesn't get her body and hands into the right position (hollow with head tucked I think). Instead she spreads her arms and does more of a superman type thing. Her coach says she does great in all the drills, but then seems to forget what to do when actually attempting the vault. She's worked a lot on it in the past with no real progress. She's had one private and the coach even spent an extra 45 minutes with her before the last meet trying to help her. She seemed to be making some progress towards the end of the practice. Then, at the actual meet during warm up, she was right back to the superman thing and so they couldn't let her attempt it without spotting.

They have another meet in 2 weeks and I'm not sure they are going to work much on vault between now and then. The coach is really working on body form/conditioning because most of the deductions from the meet were with bendy legs and unpointed toes, etc. Since my dd is the only one struggling with the vault, it's not really the priority for the team. I understand this, but I don't want to see her scratch again at the next meet if she can help it and I'm not sure how anything is going to change if they don't practice it more.

I guess there really isn't anything to do other than know it will get better eventually right? :) I just want her to feel good about her gymnastics and I know that she's feeling unhappy right now with the vault. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

It will get better! My little DD started out with a 7 on the handstand flat back and ended up with consistent 9's by the end of the season. We did do a couple quick privates with her and that really helped her get the hang of it!

It will get better! My little DD started out with a 7 on the handstand flat back and ended up with consistent 9's by the end of the season. We did do a couple quick privates with her and that really helped her get the hang of it!

Thanks for the reply! I think she would be happy with a 7 honestly. It's just that she isn't even allowed to compete it right now. I understand why, but it's upsetting her to be the only one that gets a 0 on it. Even in practice, they won't let her try without spotting because she just doesn't seem to get what to do with her arms and head and they think she is going to hurt herself.

My DD competed the handstand flat back from age 5(old level 2) to age 9(old level 4). She didn't start scoring in the 9.5+ range until the last year. Give her time, she will get it.

For my DD right now it is the mill circle which everyone else has. No competitions yet but she has only done a few without a spot and is very aware there will be "deductions". I usually just say "no worries you will get it if you keep working hard" but I am sure that will start to get old soon :( So I feel your pain. Hang in there, it will come in time.

I once made a montage of my DD's vault progression. At old level 4, age 6 she was scoring 7-8's, at old 5 (handspring at 7 yr old) she got 6's barely making it over the table. She worked hard, she grew, things got better and better. Technique, age, maturity, size, etc helped ALOT. she just kept plugging along and was finally rewarded with 9's at level 7...at level 9 she holds a vault regional title, with silver medals at states and nationals. Patience :)

I don't have any advice but I'm sorry to hear your daughter is stuggling. My daughter is the worst on her team at beam. I find it helps to video her and let her see what she is doing. Normally she will be the one to point out her errors or even just say that it doesn't look right. Until then, I just keep telling my daughter that is isn't where you start that matters, it is where you end. If you work hard you can get better.

My DD was struggling with her flat back...finding it hard to get over the top....she used to slow down as she approached the spring board but I showed her some videos of top vaulters and she now runs fast the whole way down the vault run. She scored well on that vault at her last comp. It will come in time.

She is 6.5 and the vault is not really a vault. There is just no way to relate it in anyway to the vault she might do down the road.

Give it time and she will improve. Others will struggle with other things along the way, that is gymnastics for you.

As long as the coach is not freaking out there is nothing to worry about. Please do not talk to your dd about this.

As to coming last in the AA, I told my kids a long time ago that some one has to come last at every meet. But if she does not know, why tell her.

Vault is one of those things that so many little ones seem to struggle with. My daughter never, and I mean NEVER made a single vault during warmups at any of their 10 meets last season. She was 6, competing level 3. Her first meet, she didn't make either vault attempts, the rest of the season, she made it but the were super pike-y.
All of this to say...I know how you feel! When it clicks, it clicks :)

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm sure it will come with practice and time like you all have said.

And for the record, we never showed her her scores, but they did flash them on the screens during the meet and she was definitely aware of them. We never talked about her placement either but she knew generally how she did. And her teammates know too and have talked about it.

I just want to add what I wished I would have known or been told when my daughter started competing. First, as others said, don't stress - she will get it! You will be amazed how much these kids will do with time and maturity. And, so much will change - like some of the slow starters becoming the high scorers as they get further, and the high scorers slowing down - so much will change as time goes on. And most importantly, these little ones will never get cuter to watch than they are right now. Enjoy it, savor it! It just gets more intense the farther they go :)

As other said, give it time! She's little and putting all the elements together for the vault is hard. Lots struggle with it, I know Pea did! She was a mess old L4, but has turned into one of the strongest vaulters in her L6/7 group.

My youngest dd struggles with vault, she has to do handstand flat backs, they have to do them on high stacked mats, it is not an issue for the other girls in her group as they are older and a lot taller, for my dd the stack of mats is nearly as tall as she is so she still has a spot, the coach hasn't said that there is any problems due to the fact that she cannot do them on her own so I am not worried and neither is dd.

Uhhh vault makes me crazy. DD did the handstand flatback last year. She could not even get up and over on her own until literally the day before her first meet. She came in 2nd or 3rd that meet, I was in shock. She was never really consistant at all last season with it which made me crazy since you would think once you get it you have it. She even managed a 1st place on vault last season. Now we are at a new gym and she is new Level 4 and has to do the handspring vault and we are back to square one. She cannot get over the vault without assistance right now. Hoping and praying for a vault miracle. My dd is 8 but is super short (in the 10th percentile for height), hoping this vault comes soon. We have a good handful of girls still struggling with vault right now so at least she isn't alone but she is probably the worst right now and she knows it so that's hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back