Off Topic My Dream Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I designed a dream gym... even know right where I would want it located... It is awesome. Now, to find an anonymous benefactor willing to build it... rent it to the YMCA for $1 per year... and contribute money to hire enough coaches to make it worth having all the equipment (which the benefactor would also need to buy. ;)
This is the rec/ baby / toddler class gym. There is plenty of space at vault for 2 classes to be vaulting at once. They can put a divider between the "end points" of each runway. Some of the balance beams would be floor beams and others would be adjustable. The ropes would have knots in them... some closer than others. There are drinking fountains and individual potty rooms inside the gym and plenty of seating for parents and those waiting for class to start.
the baby : rec gym.jpg

This is the team practice gym. You can't tell, but there is a running track upstairs that goes over the edges of the gym. Up to 23 L3 can be working on bar routines at once. Up to 10 higher level gymnasts can be working full bar routines (but one would be dismounting into the pit). There are 23 balance beams... 3 into the pit and 2 with full competition matting at all times. There are 3 Floor exercises... so up to 12 L3 can do floor routines at once... or 3 L4/L5. I would still only have 1 Optional gymnast go at a time... and the others can be warming up on the other floors.
There is also a full set of Boys equipment with full FIG matting at the back of the gym.
team gym.jpg

There is also an auditorium for awards (that can be rented out when there aren't meets to bring in money). There is parking for 462 vehicles in the parking lot and none of them are extremely far away from an entrance to the nice lobby with entrances to both gyms, a hall to the auditorium, an elevator and stairs to the 2nd floor running track, and restrooms (regular men's and women's rooms). In addition, there would be an outdoor workout area.
The site would be very Green - solar panels, geothermal, and windmills (at the back of the property) to keep utilities to a net of $0.

@gymdog, I have a tumble track into the pit - work the skills there until they are ready to come to the floor. ... They make vault trainers... attach one to the end and voila - vault into pit :)
Having any pit at all is an improvement from what we have now :)

While this is of course a pipe dream, doing so eating like this is quite beneficial to you as a coach. While designing the gym you can often stumble across ideas to maximise space in your own gym as it stimulates that type of thinking.

There is also an auditorium for awards (that can be rented out when there aren't meets to bring in money). There is parking for 462 vehicles in the parking lot and none of them are extremely far away from an entrance to the nice lobby with entrances to both gyms, a hall to the auditorium, an elevator and stairs to the 2nd floor running track, and restrooms (regular men's and women's rooms). In addition, there would be an outdoor workout area.
The site would be very Green - solar panels, geothermal, and windmills (at the back of the property) to keep utilities to a net of $0.
Please include the ultimate in green technology.......... a tree that grows leaves of hundred dollar bills. Plenty of green.... right?

Reactions: sce
You normally have to leave the training area to go to the toilets in the ones I've been in. This means they have to be accompanied by a coach so unscheduled, non-group toilet breaks are a problem. Most of our gyms are not in purpose built buildings and the toilets are out with the change rooms.

Having any pit at all is an improvement from what we have now :)
That is sad. Pits are really quite useful.

I get your dream. Esp, the viewing, storage bathrooms etc.

Your dream definitely minimizes the boys and I agree minimizes use of the pit. Also, where's the resipits? The most amazing gyms I've seen have one set of everything utilizing a pit. (unevens, rings, floor, pbars, vault etc.)Higher level athletes don't do as many hard landings, they train a lot of tumbling and vaulting into the put or resi. Also what about a traditional trampoline along with the tumble track?

That would be a very large level 3 team by the way!

Random question too, what's the purpose of the non-spring roll-up floor?

Every year, we go to one meet where they don't have a spring floor at all. The middle floor is so that we can have 12 L3 do their routines at the same time (on the straights instead of the diagonals). This minimizes the number of times we have to listen to THAT music in practice. We can also have 3 L4 or L5 go at once. The floor would be made of a really cool progressive padding so it would feel sort of like a spring floor, but it can be easily put up for when we host meets.

We actually had 23 (old)L4 gymnasts when I designed the gym, and the gym that we were in at the time was 3/4 of a regular HS gymnasium.

Our gym's goal is not to produce Elites or even L10 gymnasts - we would be happy to have solid L8 who can compete at the HS level and at Y Nationals. Our Y District only goes to L9 and there are only 3-4 of them each season (combined from all 11 teams). If we had any L10, they would only be able to compete USAG and Y Invitationals OUTSIDE of our district... and the only Y meets we do are in our district.

The Boys area is big, considering we don't have a Boy's team and I gave their equipment full competition matting with no overlap :) I wouldn't expect to have any boys EVER higher than L8. They would be better off going to a bigger CLUB gym if they want high level Men's gymnastics.

I considered a trampoline, but decided against it.

There are resi-pits available (the 2 L3 Vault Stacks are resi-pits)... plus there are appropriate mats and other resi-pits (just hidden in the storage rooms in this view).

@dunno would love this as there are many ropes!

That would definitely be a cool gym... I don't even have a full floor and a vault in the gym I'm coaching right now! :(

Besides the rest of course, I love the toilets in the gym!
When we were at our old location, one of the reasons we only had a 3/4 gym was that part of one end was taken and converted into a storage room accessed from outside the gym... and there were also 2 individual bathrooms accessed from INSIDE the gym. It was very convenient. I wanted to incorporate that idea into my design.

Reactions: COz
Love this!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you very much!!! I put the extra floor in there MAINLY for that... Plus, with the growth of our team AND the addition of a Middle School Team AND a High School Team, it would offer extra stretching space, even if they (MS / HS) are running floor routines.

No floor or vault into pit most normal gyms have that also no pbars rings or high bar into pit. Ok seems judgemental but if it really is a dream gym I feel like you would need those things.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back