Off Topic Dance moms- should I let dd's watch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Faith

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
I've never seen it as we only have council telly ;).

Dd's (6&9) have somehow discovered the YouTube videos and have got a touch obsessed, especially the 6 year old who tries to recreate the dances. Interesting when she has the coordination of a baby gazelle!

Anyway should I get the dvd set for Christmas? Is it appropriate for that age? I understand it's a bit car crash and I'm not sure they'll "get it".

I've checked but it doesn't seem to have an age rating or guidance certificate.

Thanks!

I coach a kid who loves it she is 7. The others don't seem to even know what it is. If the YouTube episodes are ok it should be the same.

My kids love it. It is really really truly terrible. I really don't understand how they can enjoy it - a bunch of horrible women *****ing at each other, kids crying and a little bit of dance.
I try to make sure they don't watch it (which as they don't really watch much tv and it's only if they are searching for something it isn't often), but I don't have a problem with them watching it if they insist ifykwim.

There are "Choreographer Cut" episodes which shows more dancing and less drama, not sure if you can get them on DVD though.

It's dd's and my trashy tv addiction. (hangs head in shame).

It's obviously rubbish and there is lots of shouting but there are no 'shut your eyes la la la la' moments if you know what I mean. And there are certainly no 'what's virginity?' type questions which we've had with Make it or Break it!!

I think it is a great show! It shows them hard work pays off! And also shows them how not to behave! I believe it is deftly suitable apart from 1 episode where Kelly goes off!

I let my daughter watch it with me Season 1. But had her stop the more fighting and swearing there was. The seasons just get worse and worse.

There are a lot of bleeps for cursing and alot of yelling on the parent/instructor part. Other than that, it is fine. dd is 13 and has been watching it from the beginning. she goes on youtube and watches the full dances from the competetions as well. We find it a good way to discuss how parents and teachers should not act.

I watch it every week with DS. We can't stop even though it's getting really unbelievable. I do fast forward the yelling most of the time!

I watch it. It's not a good show for kids to watch IMO. Equal quantities of beautiful dancing and grown women behaving VERY badly - and let's not mention the scandalous costumes.

I have let my girls watch it since it started ( they are now both freshly 10 and 13). Sometimes we fast forward through the trashy mom fights, we really like watching it for the dancing. It's better than one of my younger DDs favorites: toddlers & tiaras... ;)

I love Dance Moms but I only let DD watch it with me on dvr where I can fast forward the crazy mom parts.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

My tween has watched a few episodes, but I discourage it. It's "reality TV", which means it has no basis in reality. We have discussed the show and I've told her how most of what she sees is just done for the cameras, and that if her coach treated her the way Abby Lee treats her dancers, we would leave the gym.

Fortunately her interest in the show faded pretty quickly.

I don't allow my kids to watch much tv at all (exceptions: so you think you can dance and the daily show with John Stewart) but DDs have heard about dance moms enough and have seen a YouTube video at a friends house, and they just shake tier heads at the poor behavior exhibited. I can say if it's just about watching dancing there are probably a million other ways to go.

My two youngest (13 & 9) watch the show. The mothers are HORRIBLE. They are always nasty to each other and cutting each other down. Abby Lee is also a nasty and unkind person. I let my kids watch it but I've explained to them that is not the way people treat each other. They understand and look at the humor in watching adults act like idiots. Inasmuch as I love dance, it is not a "guilty pleasure" of mine. I have a few that I may never admit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back