WAG How do coaches decide who moves up and who repeats a level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm just wondering how this is usually decided.

DD has yet to repeat a level and thus far the coach has been right (she usually scores between 36-38 in AA). But we have some girls at the gym who were told at the end of last season they would be repeating the level, then in May they were told they're moving up.

I know the coach looks at their AA scores--generally a 36 indicates readiness to move up. I'm not sure if that's the sole basis of her decision. The girls seem to worship that 36 as a result and I don't know if that's what should bee happening.

(DD is aware of the 36 requirement, but has never focused on it because it's come relatively easy for her).

A lot of factors go I to it.

1. Scores at competitions
2. Do they have the skills for the next level
3. Are their skills for the next level safe and competitive
4. Are they mature enough to cope with the step up in training
5. How many spots are available in the group
6. Kids attitude, work ethic and behaviour at training
7. Kids level of commitment to training

As long as you achieve the minimum move up scores our gym does not move up based on AA scores. It's based on having the required skills for the level. Pea's group is still training L7, but won't know if they will compete 6 or 7 until right before the first meet. They give them as much time/opportunity to gain the skills as possible, but I think at this point they probably know who's doing what, they just won't say it.

I highly doubt that AA scores come into play at our gym. I would say it's mainly skill based, with a good dose of effort/attitude involved. A kid that may be able to get all the skills but isn't putting in any effort isn't going to move up, while the kid who perhaps doesn't have all the skills solid yet but has a great attitude and works really hard probably WILL get moved up..! The gym tries really hard to move kids along and not hold anyone back unless necessary (in compulsories).
So if you have the skills and can perform them safely, they do not have to be perfect, and you give good effort, you are most likely going to move on to the next level... Doesn't matter if you scored a 32AA or 36AA average. :)

A lot of factors go I to it.

1. Scores at competitions
2. Do they have the skills for the next level
3. Are their skills for the next level safe and competitive
4. Are they mature enough to cope with the step up in training
5. How many spots are available in the group
6. Kids attitude, work ethic and behaviour at training
7. Kids level of commitment to training
These are our gyms requirements exactly. It is a lot more than scores at a meet for sure!

I have NO idea. None. My DD was told she would score out of L5 and move to L6 this season, and just had the rug pulled out from under her and was told she'd be doing a whole season of L5.

I don't know about the whole "maturity level" thing... sounds like an easy excuse to me,,, Plenty of 10-11 year old level 8's and 9's out there doing just fine.
How many spots????? Sounds like another excuse to hold a kid back.
Don't mean to offend,

That makes more sense, But do you really not move a kid up because you don't have room in a group?

Space has to be a consideration. This will vary from Club to Club depending how close to capacity you are.

I am not saying this is how most gyms work, but if there is no space available in a higher level group, they can't move a kid up.

A lot of factors come into play at DD gym and there isn't one sweeping rule that applies for moving up. Each kids is looked at individually and the over all picture is the deciding factor. However, the level they compete is not the focus at her gym, Its not like school where they are expected to move up a level a year. Some kids skip levels, some repeat. Some repeat and then skip, it is really based on each individual kid and not a set of scores.

At my kids' gym, it's primarily about the skills. If you have them competently, you move up. If not, then no. Scores only come into it at a very marginal level. DD will be a L8 this year and has never scored a 36 AA! It's a little more complicated on the boys' side because different coaches have had different positions on whether or not having bonuses is required, but this year, it looks like it's going to be have the base routines = move up.

Space has to be a consideration. This will vary from Club to Club depending how close to capacity you are.

I am not saying this is how most gyms work, but if there is no space available in a higher level group, they can't move a kid up.

This makes no sense to me. You would seriously hold a child back a level for this? Why wouldn't they stay in their group and train the new level? Do you only have girls training the exact same level in a group? Every gym experience my dd has had there are always multiple levels training together.

Works that way on both sides for my kids too -- not everyone in a group is competing the same level. I don't think it's so much a matter for individuals though as for groups. It can be hard to wrangle multiple optional groups needing lots of hours. DD's group trained fewer hours over the summer than most of them would have preferred.

Optionals levels at DDs gym are much more flexible...the 'new' optionals girls (those who finished/scored out of 5 last season) are mostly training 7, but many will compete 6 because not all the 7 skills are there.

Compulsories, though, is much different. It seems at DDs gym there is much more drama in the compulsories levels than in optionals, and I'm not sure why that is.

Some parents believe because their daughter is older than the other girls competing her level, she should automatically move up. Others believe because their daughter is talented, but still immature, she should move up.

HC, I suspect, decided that placing the 36 requirement would force parents to realize their daughter is just not yet ready for the next level's skills. What makes it difficult is there are a couple of optionals kids who are younger than these compulsory kids and their parents perceive their daughter is being held back.

I think our gym leaves it as being at coach's discretion. Rumor is it depends on scoring a 37 AA, and having the next level skills. But from what one of DDs coaches said... They put them at the level where they feel the girls will be the most successful. They also do not compete them until they believe they will score no lower than a 34 AA; they will not spot skills during competetion ; and, they will not scratch an event due to the girl not having a particular skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News