WAG Is L6 required or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kayjaybe

Proud Parent
When the level changes happened last year, it seemed you could skip new L6, depending on where you were coming from. Dd was in old L6 and qualified for L7 score-wise, but didn't meet our gym requirements to compete it.

For some reason they gym decided not to compete new L6, so she had to move back to 5.

Now she is shooting for L7 again, but the coaches are now saying that this year they DO have to score out of L6 before going to L7 (even though she had previously qualified.) Is that true?

What about for people that never completed old L6? They did old L5 and then new L5. Must they do L6 and get a qualifying score before going to L7?

We are getting conflicting info at our gym.

Thanks.

New L6 is not a required level per USAG, perhaps your gym is requiring it? New L5 and New L6 have essentially the same difficulty requirements, L6 is a great level for girls to get some optional level experience that just aren't quite ready to be competitive at L7.

Yeah, this is odd. One coach clearly told me we were NOT doing L6. Girls had to have the skills (required by our gym) to move to L7 from L5. Today another coach said they were looking at doing the first meet at L6 for the old L5s because they needed it to score into L7.

Confusing and frustrating.

Maybe the gym/coach is requiring a score at 6 as a way to demonstrate readiness for 7, but USAG doesn't.

I know our gym is pretty strict about skills they want the girls to compete at each level, and frankly, missing one skill they want for 7 will likely mean competing level 6 until that one skills is competition ready.

Our gym WAS going to have some girls compete 6 in the spring but changed their minds and decided to make the 5's do a whole season at 5. They talked about "scoring out of" 6 in 2016 and going to L7. I am thoroughly confused as to why they are so set on doing 6 with 12-13-14 year old girls.

If the gym has its own rules for move-ups (which ours does for L7), I don't have a problem with that. But the coach specifically said they needed to score out of L6 because of USAG rules and that they looked it up.

That's what is confusing to me. They are going to have another meeting about it (the coaches) so I'll see what happens and then ask questions.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1411254124.849924.jpg

This is the requirement chart from USAG website.

If the gym has its own rules for move-ups (which ours does for L7), I don't have a problem with that. But the coach specifically said they needed to score out of L6 because of USAG rules and that they looked it up.

That's what is confusing to me. They are going to have another meeting about it (the coaches) so I'll see what happens and then ask questions.

Are they looking at the rules that were in place before the Great Level Renumbering?

USAG has the R&P for this season posted on their website. They should be able to easily look up the current information and find that it is not required.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back